We beached the stern of the cat today and found the lower gudgeon to have sheered the outer to screws holding her in place and the to inner screws pulled out. The gudgeons were the very cheapest that you can buy and smaller than I would use on most dinghies. I replaced them with beefier. The lower gudgeon port rudder had failed as descibed and the upper was about to fail so we replaced them both. Its a good thing I had a set extra in my 30 year accumulation of stuffs (and thought enough ahead to bring them). It would have been nice to know what the designs called for but that information never got to me from Wharram.
It was an easy fix once we got the boat's stern high enough. Just gooped up a couple of chopsticks with 5200 to fill the old screw holes and reinstalled the new ones bedded in lots of 5200. Then we motored back to the mooring
. I want the 5200 to set up for a few days before reinstalling the rudder.
will sail again. Hurricane
Flossie is headed our way so maybe I'll be going out to her and taking the mainsail
off the boom and setting another anchor