Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2012, 06:36   #1

Boat: Lagoon 440
We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

We bought our 440 and the galley is equipped with electric hotplates and a microwave, it's not a system we are used to having had gas always.

Met Arnie and Helen a Swedish couple they have a HR 63 and are 1 and a half times around the world the Antartic included, they came aboard for drinks and saw our set up and said they have the same and totally love it.

They have a larger battery bank on their boat (which is something we are about to do along with more panels and larger inverter) and use their inverter for powering the stove up.

No gas = no searching for bottle fills, carrying bottles in dinghy and lessens the fire risk.

Has many others gone down this line? Prior to our boat and his i've only seen it done on large trawlers and charter boats. Has it's merits.

Cheers Frank
Old 21-06-2012, 06:48   #2

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

you need batteries big time and a way to charge them while at sea. Windvane, solar, water vane, Almost nothing uses more power than an electric stove. I can't imagine it being practical for ocean cruising - coastal yes - ocean no.
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 06:55   #3

Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

We have used it now for nearly three months, the genset runs it well and uses little fuel, the concept i guess is you only buy one fuel, diesel.
As i said Arne has used the setup for 6 years in their circumnavigation.

So really the time spent crossing the Atlantic say 21 days is a quarter of the time we have run it recently if you get my drift.

Can't see the difference coastal against ocean other than in Marinas.

We are growing to like it.
Old 21-06-2012, 07:06   #4

Boat: 33ft sloop

Since I have my heavy genny I am also close to abandon cooking on gas. As the bottles are no standard issue in Europe and Dutch bottles are different from French and Spanish ones, one cannot exchange them. Only Camping gaz bottles can be interchanged but they are excessively expensive. I will build in the cockpit a dual ceramic plate and having the smelly cooking outside when I am in the hotter climates.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 08:36   #5

Our genset is a Paguro 6000 (very quiet) it handles the elements, de-sal, battery charge lights and outlets on at same time quite ok.

We have a micro-wave, toaster and jug that runs off the inverter so no need to constantly start up the genset.

We have diesel heating on board Epersheper.

When we use hotplates we usually cook extras and freeze them to be re-heated by the micro-wave.

Roasts we tend to do on our COBB loving the smoky flavour.

Steaks, chops and fish on the briquette BBQ. Same fuel as the COBB.

Diesel is available most places so buying only one fuel is very attractive and it tends to be better used than sitting. Yes it costs but when you travel so to does gas,

So many different gas bottle types, risk of fire and lugging bottles redundant ones and otherwise is a pain.

Not totally sold yet but our thoughts are changing as we enjoy the simplicity....

See what time brings i guess...
Old 21-06-2012, 08:45   #6

If the gen set is working it's great I imagine. However, a propane failure is a lot easier/cheaper to replace than a genset!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 08:57   #7

True thats why we have micro, jug, toaster Cobb and BBQ. Always some form of redundancy....

Cheers
Old 21-06-2012, 12:29   #8

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

From an efficiency POV, a propane stove is at least 3 times more efficient than electric. Propane and diesel are both sources of heat energy. Using diesel to make mechanical energy to then convert to electric is very inefficient.

For every $1 I spent to cook using propane, you'll spend $3-$4.

But in the end if that suits you, it's OK by me!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 12:51   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive sailed with an electric stove, really did not care for cooking with it!! did not wish to spend the money to change to Propane!! So we got one of those single burner gimbled stoves mounted on a convient bulkhead. It works so well for our pressure cooker, and to make hot water for coffee and other things! uses single gas bottles, It made useing the electric stove a thing for at the dock or at an anchorage. "O" I should have mentioned it was not a gimbled electric stove, without proper pot holders bilt in.And as we did not like running the genny to boil water we tryed something different!
Old 21-06-2012, 12:56   #10

That's correct it's just nickels and dimes in the long run.
Paying that is probably our smallest concern. Cheers
Old 21-06-2012, 12:58   #11

We don't particurly enjoy electric either much prefering the instant heat of gas BUT we have what we have.
Fiddles are very much needed tho.... Cheers
Old 21-06-2012, 13:17   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

There are a few boats set up for electric only cooking. It works great, but it depends on the genset working. Generators are one of the least reliable pieces of equipment and spare parts are often hard to find.
I have met many boats that have wasted much of the season waiting for their generator to be repaired.
If you are setting up a boat from scratch the best system IMHO is gas, but make sure your gas locker is large- no huge. You need to able to fit domestic gas bottles that are available in any country and come in many shapes and sizes. Adapters to mate with bottles are readily available, but you need a vented locker with room for 2x 15kg bottles of various shapes and sizes.
With this sort of storage you will not have a problem finding gas bottles.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 13:42   #13
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
We bought our 440 and the galley is equipped with electric hotplates and a microwave, it's not a system we are used to having had gas always.

Met Arnie and Helen a Swedish couple they have a HR 63 and are 1 and a half times around the world the Antartic included, they came aboard for drinks and saw our set up and said they have the same and totally love it.

They have a larger battery bank on their boat (which is something we are about to do along with more panels and larger inverter) and use their inverter for powering the stove up.

No gas = no searching for bottle fills, carrying bottles in dinghy and lessens the fire risk.

Has many others gone down this line? Prior to our boat and his i've only seen it done on large trawlers and charter boats. Has it's merits.

Cheers Frank
We have a similar setup, electric stove/oven with a huge microwave with built in inverter. At first I thought it would be the first piece of gear we would replace, but we too have begun to see the merits of this system. We have over 2500 amp hours in our banks, and the genny has yet to fail me. With both solar and wind as well as the genny, and using the mic a lot which is slightly more efficient, it is starting to make sense. So far my dislikes are the much lower cooking temps, and the fact that our Princess can only run either the 3-burner range or the stove, but not both at once. I'm perfectly happy to be less efficient and pay a little more for fuel if it means no propane on the boat. With 450 gallons of diesel tankage and a just overhauled diesel genny I think it will do fine. You would have to lose both genset and main engine to lose all charging power (at least we would), and at that point you may have larger concerns than cooking!
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 13:44   #14

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

We had all electric "Miele" stuff when we bought Gilana. No gas on Lloyds 100/a1. One of the first things we did was change to gas. Never regretted that decision. We carry 3 Worthington Ally cylinders. We refill them ourselves from whatever the locals use. We like the gas more. We do know many all electric cooking boats. Gas works out cheaper as it is more efficient. Everything on a boat is a compromise between this on the one hand and that on the other.....
Old 21-06-2012, 13:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There are a few boats set up for electric only cooking. It works great, but it depends on the genset working. Generators are one of the least reliable pieces of equipment and spare parts are often hard to find.
I have met many boats that have wasted much of the season waiting for their generator to be repaired.
If you are setting up a boat from scratch the best system IMHO is gas, but make sure your gas locker is large- no huge. You need to able to fit domestic gas bottles that are available in any country and come in many shapes and sizes. Adapters to mate with bottles are readily available, but you need a vented locker with room for 2x 15kg bottles of various shapes and sizes.
With this sort of storage you will not have a problem finding gas bottles.
Lagoons come with the locker, pipe and certificate as a standard issue, this owner opted to not connect and installed electric.
At the end of the day the redundancy that we have in the invertor driving the microwave etc the cobb the bbq all those things defuse the problems of the genset becoming unreliable.

Tags
cooking, electric