Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2012, 00:19   #61

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

Hence electric simplifies these issues quite a bit, one fuel etc....

Cheers
Old 17-12-2012, 00:26   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

If you want to simplify things my advice would be set the boat up without a generator.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 04:16   #63

Lagoon4us,

Could you guess at how much weight is included with the inverters, extra batteries, the genset, plus the (as you say) redundant cooking equipment?

Isn't an electric stove heavier than gas? Mine at home is
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 04:35   #64
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

One of main reasons I converted my boat from all electric to gas and electric ( gas cooker, + microwave),is that I found sailing with friend wed end up med moored together , with no shore power and I was teh one that either had to start the genny or wait till everyone else was up.

Also put in a good three burner stove and cooking on gas is so much better, Ive also converted my house to cook on gas.

IN the Med I just use camping gaz, yes its expensive, but in the scheme of things that are expensive, it doesn't figure.
Dave
Old 17-12-2012, 05:03   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I was glad to have a gas stove recently, however, when my Victron charger/inverter went t*ts-up, refusing even to pass through AC current from shore power or genset. Man, that's bad design. Gas being fully standalone and not dependent on any other system is good in that respect.
A bit off the subject but...When I installed my victron multiplus I was not comfortable that it has to be on to pass the shorepower or the generator power. So what I did is install a 40a bypass switch so that I can choose to bypass the victron if I feel like it. This means that when the shorepower is a full 16a and stable then I might choose to bypass it from an A/C perspective and just use the charger side.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 05:06   #66

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
One of main reasons I converted my boat from all electric to gas and electric ( gas cooker, + microwave),is that I found sailing with friend wed end up med moored together , with no shore power and I was teh one that either had to start the genny or wait till everyone else was up.

Also put in a good three burner stove and cooking on gas is so much better, Ive also converted my house to cook on gas.
It depends on the technology you use. In my experience induction is as good to cook on as gas (and many professional cooks seem to agree).It is certainly not comparable with traditional hotplates.
When you use induction the end-to-end efficiency is about the same as using gaz.

One advantage of using induction is that there is no contact needed between the pan and the hotplate (as the plate itself is not generating the heat). So you could put a silicone mat between the stove and the pot, to keep it from sliding around. To me this appears as a nice to have thing on a boat. Has anybody got experience with that?
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 05:15   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
If you want to simplify things my advice would be set the boat up without a generator.
That's one approach to simplicity. If I were starting from scratch, the genset would be the only thing on the boat capable of consuming primordial fuel. I would make everything else electric, including propulsion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
One advantage of using induction is that there is no contact needed between the pan and the hotplate (as the plate itself is not generating the heat). So you could put a silicone mat between the stove and the pot, to keep it from sliding around. To me this appears as a nice to have thing on a boat. Has anybody got experience with that?
Fantastic idea! I hope it's viable. Has anyone tried?
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 05:31   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Yes, The mat has to be quite thin as it does remove some efficiency. However it protects the surface and stops sliding. It should be one of the 260 degree mats. It will warp very slightly when you cook on full power.
I actually dont use the mat as I have pot holders that seem to work fine.... and I would rather have all the efficiency.

Induction is very efficient and I use my batteries at anchor for cooking. I can cook 4 days at anchor without using any diesel.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 11:34   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
Lagoon4us,

Could you guess at how much weight is included with the inverters, extra batteries, the genset, plus the (as you say) redundant cooking equipment?

Isn't an electric stove heavier than gas? Mine at home is
Our boat is 44foot the weight of a stove, gas bottles as against a hot plate is really insignificant, this style of boat would always have a genset and ours at 6.5kg is light and small...

Cheers
Old 17-12-2012, 12:02   #70

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Our boat is 44foot the weight of a stove, gas bottles as against a hot plate is really insignificant, this style of boat would always have a genset and ours at 6.5kg is light and small...

Cheers
A 6.5kg genny? Wow, that is light and small..
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 12:05   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Apologies auto correct changed 6.5Kw to kg AAAAaaaggghhhhhh!!!
Old 18-12-2012, 09:39   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
It should be possible to get 3-5 KW from a 6.5kg gas turbine genset using all the latest technology from aircraft APUs.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 19:48   #73

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

Similar to Fastcats set up, the Isara can be ordered with all electric appliances including the grill (maybe induction stovetop?). Add solar/wind and large house batts, sure. But the difference is that with their hybrid system, you get twin 55hp diesels with attached electric motors that act as generators when you either use the engines for propulsion or sail; No additional generator needed. Hopefully it will be as efficient as the Fastcat system as far as not needing diesel generation very often.
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 23:59   #74

Useful discussion and experiences. For my galley refit, which is still a little way off, I am thinking of an induction cooktop. Can anyone share the model/power draw of these?

Currently I have a propane 3 burner hotplate/oven combo unit. In an ideal world I'd have propane cooktop and electric oven. Propane ovens put way too much heat into the galley, undesirable in the tropics.

I looked at the microwaves that have convection heating built-in but their footprint has a much greater depth compared to standard one, and they dont fit in my head-height location. So for the refit, the oven might end up just being a BBQ.

Oh, and I have removed both gennies. One was a 7.5kW (1800rpm), the other a 2kW (3600rpm) one. For folks that cant hear their diesel gennies I suggest that its time to change the batteries in your hearing aids!

Charging my 1284AH AGM battery bank is via 2x 200A alternators and 1855W of solar. I'm hoping my 3000W Victron Inverter will be a better experience than what Dockhead has posted about.
Morrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 04:33   #75

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

A good backup would be a primus type pressure stove. Most can be made to run okay on diesel. Here is one cheap enough to buy two of them, just to have a spare:
Butterfly 2412 Brass Pressure Stove

I have two of them. They do require a bit of attention, though.

On shore power I use an electric hot plate, or my electric pressure cooker or my crock pot. Sometimes I use my Magma kettle grill clamped to the pushpit rail. I don't have half enough batts to consider electric cooking at sea. But if it works for you, great.

Tags
cooking, electric