Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2012, 10:23   #46
Marine Service Provider
 
fastcat435's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Amstelveen Netherlands
Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Posts: 1,649
Images: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

My cat is located in the Netherlands not very sunny but still enough to run all systems
I have 6 large solar panels on the bimini and the saloon roof.
__________________

__________________
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 12:28   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,427
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Don't need to justify anything to anyone, this boat is setup this way i'm interested in comments either way, i've met a few long term cruisers here that have the same setup.
Money isn't the driver otherwise i'd be in a Tiki retying my rubber turnbuckles and going ashore to get wood for my cooking fire.
No this is interesting stuff and i find Fastcats comments VERY interesting, he is having ago at using a different system. I like it!

Cheers
I wasn't looking for justification, I was simply responding to the assertion that the cost of additional generator output for an electric stovetop is 'marginal'. I want to make sure people understand what 'marginal' equals as it's certainly in the eye of the beholder.

If, like you, my boat had electric cooking in it when I bought it, I would probably use it also. But building from scratch, I would prefer propane mainly due to it's efficiency.

Electric power production and storage on a boat comes at great cost, large capex, moderate maintenance costs, and relatively short equipment life cycles. Propane is a source of heat energy, it's well suited for purpose.
__________________

__________________
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 12:43   #48
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I wasn't looking for justification, I was simply responding to the assertion that the cost of additional generator output for an electric stovetop is 'marginal'. I want to make sure people understand what 'marginal' equals as it's certainly in the eye of the beholder.

If, like you, my boat had electric cooking in it when I bought it, I would probably use it also. But building from scratch, I would prefer propane mainly due to it's efficiency.

Electric power production and storage on a boat comes at great cost, large capex, moderate maintenance costs, and relatively short equipment life cycles. Propane is a source of heat energy, it's well suited for purpose.
Exactly that and you can see from my origional question i'm not starting from scratch and nor am i new to this i'm simply asking who else is set up like this what are their thoughts?
Iv'e owned/built many boats prior but i've never had an electric stove as the main cooking choice not even on 134ft charter boats i've built.
Closest was a paddlewheeler for Sydney Harbour which i bought three 'CONVATHERMS' for. It's just quite foreign for a small yacht bought me to ask?
Cheers i thank you for your input. :-)
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 07:27   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Napa CA USA
Boat: Piver Victress
Posts: 87
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

Another option ( still within the all-electric zone ) is to use 12volt appliances ... no inverters sucking power ... truckers have been using these since way back ...

Go to Ebay & search for ROADPRO .... they make :
12v oven
12v slow-cooker
12v frypan
12v saucepan
12v sandwich toaster
12v beverage heater
12v kettle
12v heated jug

I currently cook & heat cabin with propane but I plan to switch cooking & cabin heat to diesel ...
__________________
svtadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 09:18   #50
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 542
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

Svtadpole, I have a 12v coffee pot, a smaller version of a Mr. Coffee type and while slow, it works well! My 12v hot plate is ok for warming but couldn't cook an egg on it. It was in a van with no house battery so I needed to start it to make sure I didn't drain my battery.

If I had diesel, I'd use it, I'm going with propane and will have an electric two burner at the dock.

Question, why can't you have a filling system to fill a standard propane tank from other non-standard tanks? It was mentioned that taks varied in Europe and could not be traded in, could you not get one tank and pump/excange it into another and return the empty?
__________________
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 10:46   #51
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,363
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Exactly that and you can see from my origional question i'm not starting from scratch and nor am i new to this i'm simply asking who else is set up like this what are their thoughts?
Iv'e owned/built many boats prior but i've never had an electric stove as the main cooking choice not even on 134ft charter boats i've built.
Closest was a paddlewheeler for Sydney Harbour which i bought three 'CONVATHERMS' for. It's just quite foreign for a small yacht bought me to ask?
Cheers i thank you for your input. :-)
It's a good question really. Once you decide to get a good diesel gen set life could get real simple; no solar panels, no wind generator, no high output alternator, no propane tank and system, no invertor. Probably enough there to buy the generator... and gee..... your sailboat could actually look like a sailboat! instead of like a communications satellite!!
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 10:52   #52
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's a good question really. Once you decide to get a good diesel gen set life could get real simple; no solar panels, no wind generator, no high output alternator, no propane tank and system, no invertor. Probably enough there to buy the generator... and gee..... your sailboat could actually look like a sailboat! instead of like a communications satellite!!
Why? I have a very reliable 7.5 kw Westerbeke, but still also have all of the above. Even the most reliable genset will occasionally have problems, and efficiency is increased by the other systems. Burning less fuel and putting less hours on the genset is good.
__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 14:31   #53
Registered User
 
ranger42c's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 42' Sportfish
Posts: 2,984
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
We bought our 440 and the galley is equipped with electric hotplates and a microwave, it's not a system we are used to having had gas always.

Has many others gone down this line? Prior to our boat and his i've only seen it done on large trawlers and charter boats. Has it's merits.

Our galley is similarly equipped, i.e., with a 2-burner "glass-top" electric stove, plus microwave. An improvement: our microwave unit is actually a combo with convection oven capabilities, which increases the range of dishes we can properly prepare.

If I were to start from scratch, I think the stove top would be an induction system (with compatible pots and pans).

In general, I prefer cooking with gas or propane.... but for the boat, I do like the "simplicity" (as it were) of the electric system, especially since electricity also powers our coffee maker, toaster, fridges, etc. (All augmented by an outdoor propane grill, usually only used when I feel like cleaning it afterwards... and when I happen to have a small bottle of propane.)

Learning to manage the system isn't all that difficult.

-Chris
__________________
Selby Bay, South River, Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 23:41   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

Well it's been 8 months on board now and we very much like the electric cooking set up in lieu of gas.

The various inventories of different 440's we looked at prior to our purchase showed exactly what you are talking about with regard to the convection style microwave. The front opening Whirlpool units are perfect and we have ordered one.

With only the one fuel to source (DIESEL) life is easy moving around not having to do gas refills.

Cheers
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 23:56   #55
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,748
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

I like the idea of electric cooking, and I'm glad it's worked out for you. One profound advantage is that you don't dump water vapor and combustion products into your cabin air.

I was glad to have a gas stove recently, however, when my Victron charger/inverter went t*ts-up, refusing even to pass through AC current from shore power or genset. Man, that's bad design. Gas being fully standalone and not dependent on any other system is good in that respect.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 00:01   #56
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,748
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I wasn't looking for justification, I was simply responding to the assertion that the cost of additional generator output for an electric stovetop is 'marginal'. I want to make sure people understand what 'marginal' equals as it's certainly in the eye of the beholder.

If, like you, my boat had electric cooking in it when I bought it, I would probably use it also. But building from scratch, I would prefer propane mainly due to it's efficiency.

Electric power production and storage on a boat comes at great cost, large capex, moderate maintenance costs, and relatively short equipment life cycles. Propane is a source of heat energy, it's well suited for purpose.
I think for a great many boats, no extra genset or battery capacity is needed at all. If I were doing electric cooking on my boat I would just want a somewhat bigger inverter than what I have (which is nominally 3kW but practically more like 2).

Propane is very efficient as you're not converting heat to electricity and back to heat, but it's another different fuel to buy and store, and it is difficult and dangerous to store and use on a boat. The question of safety is probably justification enough by itself for electric cooking.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 00:05   #57
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

I agree, our back up is a briquette BBQ on the back rail and a Cobb Oven.

Our power is generated from a 6Kva Paguro genset which has its exhaust silenced and exits below water level, you cannot hear it 20metres from the boat.

Also via inverter.

And naturally shore power when we dock i.e. all winter at VERY cheap rates.

The lack of water vapour is very good in these cold locked up days.

Cheers
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 00:09   #58
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,748
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
I agree, our back up is a briquette BBQ on the back rail and a Cobb Oven.

Our power is generated from a 6Kva Paguro genset which has its exhaust silenced and exits below water level, you cannot hear it 20metres from the boat.

Also via inverter.

And naturally shore power when we dock i.e. all winter at VERY cheap rates.

The lack of water vapour is very good in these cold locked up days.

Cheers
What kind of generator you have makes a big difference to how you come out on this. We also have a low speed genset, in a sound enclosure inside a soundproof engine room, with a big muffler and water separator. You can hardly even tell it's running. Makes it a lot easier to use AC power.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 00:11   #59
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Svtadpole, I have a 12v coffee pot, a smaller version of a Mr. Coffee type and while slow, it works well! My 12v hot plate is ok for warming but couldn't cook an egg on it. It was in a van with no house battery so I needed to start it to make sure I didn't drain my battery.

If I had diesel, I'd use it, I'm going with propane and will have an electric two burner at the dock.

Question, why can't you have a filling system to fill a standard propane tank from other non-standard tanks? It was mentioned that taks varied in Europe and could not be traded in, could you not get one tank and pump/excange it into another and return the empty?
There's a myriad of fittings that match the equal number of different size bottles, refilling anywhere near a boat isn't going to be accepted.
eg In Australia they will only exchange or sell you an approved bottle, they will not touch any bottle not built to standard and in current test....

Cheers
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 01:15   #60
Moderator
 
noelex 77's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.
Posts: 10,619
Re: We Have No Gas Cooking Just Electric, Anyone Else Set up This Way? Thoughts???

The best solution if you have propane is to have a dedicated locker that will take at least 2 of any large sized bottles. I can easily store about 30kG (60lb) of propane. Or at a pinch double this. This is more than most boats, but makes life easier. A system that will run on propane or butane is also a great plus.

When arriving in a country I switch to the local bottles. There are regulators that come with tails that will fit any bottle worldwide. Propane regulators don't last a long time in the salt atmosphere so I prefer multiple regulators. They fit on a flexible hose so its very quick to change them over.

If selecting, or refitting, a boat for long distance cruising propane and petrol (for the tender) storage needs some careful thought.
__________________

__________________
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooking, electric

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.