Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 22:24   #16

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: We are new to this :) lagoon 40 VS Lipari 41 or ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Dear Muckle Flugga - greetings. We are fully aligned on this - I agree with every sentiment. Finally, we have done it. Best regards.
They there Bulawayo… well, I think we were only misaligned really on the whole Gulf of Aden thing… which was more about risk perception in a very hard to judge situation. So
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:21   #17

HI ALL! grate forum, with grate people I see... I have read all and thx for all inputs
Sea hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:32   #18

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys_with_time View Post
b) you go through the boat incredibly carefully, employing a surveyor if required, and don't leave the delivery point until you are happy that they have rectified everything.
Rigo, Irina, and Mira - Inasmuch as you specified that you are looking for a used boat, a survey is absolutely essential. And the "delivery point" is where the boat is when you execute the sail. There's a huge difference buying a new boat from a dealer/factory vs buying a used boat. Much of the advice you have received so far was from the standpoint of buying a new boat. Used boats are typically sorted out from the "new boat curse" and you are wise to take this approach from the beginning.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:28   #19

Boat: LIPARI 41

I have a 2010 Lipari we sailed it from france to florida and it is a safe bluewater boat we have sailed the keys Bahamas and dry tortugas there is plenty of room for 2 couples and kids the boat has had no problems but i had epoxy applied at the factory the boat is light and sails well the interior has held up im very happy with her
seaclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 13:03   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea hunter View Post
Hello

We are new to this Multihull... and looking for Multihull about 40" and used.

We are from Denmark, but want to keep the boat as "summerhouse" in the MD for some years before we sail out and "around" the world

example the lagoon 40 or Lipari 41, what are - + for this models ? best in your opinion ? fair or fare better models in this class ?

Also looking for place in the MD to keep the boat for summer and winter...

PS. If any got gast room for a week or 2 in summer 2016, for a small family like us (we are 47 38wife, 9girl), please tell we like to try the Multihull life...

BR
Rigo, Irina, Mira

I have visited both and sailed none:
The Lagoon is a much bigger boat. It feels more like an appartment than the Lipari.

The sailarea and displacement numbers
Lipari: 89sqm and 7.6t, or 11.7sqm/t
400: 84sqm and 10.3to or 8,1sqm/t,

So the Lipari is lighter with more sail area, resulting in ~40% more sailarea per tonne.
The Lipari has a waterline length of 11.79m, the 400 is shorter @ 11.45m WLL.
These figures indicate the Lipari will be faster in lightship mode. BUT: This may change when loaded with all your stuff. The Lagoon is wider and should be the better load carrier.

FPs are known for osmosis problems but most have been fixed by FP under warranty (peel, dry, rebuild in epoxy). If done right it should be better than new (and better than other non-epoxy boats). If done wrong ...

I have personally seen a handfull of 2006 - 2008 FPs with osmosis / treatment (mine included) and read a couple of stories about FPs as young as 2010.
Do your own research, or (as I did) go for a boat that has been treated some time ago so you are sure it's been cured.

Lagoon: well, different story. never heard of osmosis, but read a few stories about low quality fittings and workmanship in recent models. I owned an older 410 and had none of these issues.
Lagoons are balsa cored and use quite a lot of wood in the build, so you need to look out for rot under deck fittings and bulkheads. That should not be an issue if Lagoon uses sealant for deck fittings but I have seen evidence that this is not always the case. Keep in mind that these sealants age, so water ingres may happen any time.
Lipari is foam cored and very little wood so no rot. Maybe better in the long run, but who knows...

Both are nice boats, but certainly quite different. So visit both and make up your mind.

Both are just boring production boats - both can be bought and sold for a reasonable price as the market is big enough. Which is good once you are done cruising.

A place to keep the boat in the Med: Where do you want to go?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 14:27   #21

Boat: FP Orana 44

FP and Lagoon build great boats, and both yards have built many catamarans and know how to do it right for what its designed for.

In general, FP sails a bit better and Lagoon is a bit roomier, and I think the same is true for the Lipari and L400. Every design is a compromise.

Think through your priorities and only you can answer it. Look at both in real flesh, and you will probably make up your mind right away. I think both makes an excellent choice.
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lipari