Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 11:17   #16

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: VW diesel as inbord drive

I have a 2000 TDI 1.9 diesel. Have owned it since new. Now 14 years and 240,000 miles later an she still runs like new.

I replace the timing belt every 100,000 miles.
Change oil Fuel filters per VW recommendation.

Best motor I have ever had in any car.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:21   #17

Boat: Islander Freeport 41

Niel,

I have a six-cylinder, 85 hp VW marine engine (built on a Kubota block) in my 1983 Islander Freedom 41 ketch. Has less than 1800 hours for the 30 plus years of service.
I obtained technical data, support and part from Pathfinder Marine. John was most helpful and provides a service manual and tech support if you join their Pathfinder Service Club (about $100 several years ago.) Recently replaced the timing belt, water pump">raw water pump, etc and was able to buy a kit from them that included even special tool balancer removal. I also find routine maintenance parts from the local Kubota dealer. A good engine in my opinion (from a retired mechanical engineer whose hobby is auto rebuilding),
Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:28   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I have a 2-year TDI 150-5 VW diesel aboard my boat and am very happy with it - it is solid and quiet and the marinized mechanics are solid and the electronics are also adapted for marine use; it is fail-safe in that as the electronics deteriorate the power output is decreased but at least the engine will keep in chugging away.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35   #19

Boat: Tartan 33

Had a VW Rabbit diesel in my C & C Crusader - ran for 18 years while I had it with no real problems - blew the serpentine belt once, with NO damage (replaced it myself with the help of the tech manual). Found it to be an absolutely reliable engine, parts readily available, service also (at the time, any local VW dealer always had some mechanic looking for some after hours work). Light weight (aluminum), powerful - approx. 42 hp . My version was from Pathfinder Marine up in Toronto, and was a fully marinized VW engine
blueskye33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:45   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Looks like all are liked. Looks like apples and oranges in some respects. Some twice the HP of others and some cast iron and some aluminum?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 13:26   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The very first as in 1970's VW Diesels had some serious probems, but by early 80's that wasn't true anymore, at least the early 8 valve single overhead cam motors had a cast iron block and aluminum head and were non-interference engines, meaning nothing got broken if the timing belt broke.
Newer motors I don't know about, but suspicion at some point they may have become common rail fuel injection and possibly dual overhead cam.
If so then they ought to be a very quiet, smooth Diesel and good efficiency, but with some sophisticated electronics running things?

So in short I think it depends on what year motor we are talking about as there are major differences?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 13:46   #22

Boat: Irwin sloop

As mentioned earlier the old Pathfinders had a terrible reputation and were largely avoided.
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 16:46   #23
cruiser

Boat: Boat less at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The very first as in 1970's VW Diesels had some serious probems, but by early 80's that wasn't true anymore, at least the early 8 valve single overhead cam motors had a cast iron block and aluminum head and were non-interference engines, meaning nothing got broken if the timing belt broke.
Newer motors I don't know about, but suspicion at some point they may have become common rail fuel injection and possibly dual overhead cam.
If so then they ought to be a very quiet, smooth Diesel and good efficiency, but with some sophisticated electronics running things?

So in short I think it depends on what year motor we are talking about as there are major differences?
That was the first Volkswagen build Diesel Engine, introduced in an Audi and later in 1976 introduced in a Volkswagen. The 50hp 1.5 series, I actualy never seen one in the wild, build from September 1976 till July 1980.

The next generation was the 54hp 1.6 and the 70hp 1.6 Turbo Diesel from 1980 till 1983.

From 1983 till 1992 The same engines in the following configuration;

1.6 - 54 hp
1.6 Ecodiesel - 60hp
1.6TD(GTD) - 70hp
1.6GTD Intercooled - 80hp

PS. I don't know Mr. Pathfinder. till 2012, in Europe the Volkswagen Factory sold these Marine Diesel Engines.

Cees
Reiziger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 19:04   #24

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I owned an Islander Freeport 36 that came equipped with a Pathfinder 50, a marinized VW diesel. It was a very reliable and economical engine with a remarkable horsepower-to-weight ratio. Since my wife and I had purchased one of the first Volkswagen Rabbit diesels in 1978 and had good success with it (we put about 100,000 miles on it before making it a service vehicle for our company - where it was used and abused for many years), we had a high degree of confidence with the engine in a boat. The service we got from the Pathfinder distributor in Canada was excellent and getting parts was easy and relatively inexpensive.

We looked into one of the new VW marine diesels when we went to repower our current boat but the dealer for them was very discouraging, saying that he had to get permission from the factory before he could go out on a warranty call.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 19:25   #25

I had a 1982 Volkswagon Vanogen diesel that was great, but the adjustment on the timing belt was critical. Yes , I bent the valves one time when a belt let go. No damage to the pistons. I delivered a boat from Seattle to San Francisco with a Pathfinder (VW) and it ran like a Swiss watch. If you cruise with a Pathfinder, carry an extra belt and change it early, not later. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:11   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel12 View Post
Hallo boys and Girls,

Long time no speak, I had a run in with some cancer problems which kept me quite busy but now I am back with a vengeance!

Niel
Great! Well done.

ps. I know nothing about VW diesels.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:50   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

I used to be a certified VW tech at a dealer when I was a pup... One of my most side splitting moments was when they put the diesel in a Vanagon ...

Just like any old full keeled tub... You needed to drive this thing 45 degrees off the wind to make any headway whatsoever...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:54   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I had a 1982 Volkswagon Vanogen diesel that was great, but the adjustment on the timing belt was critical. Yes , I bent the valves one time when a belt let go. No damage to the pistons. I delivered a boat from Seattle to San Francisco with a Pathfinder (VW) and it ran like a Swiss watch. If you cruise with a Pathfinder, carry an extra belt and change it early, not later. _____Grant.

Many years ago I had a matched 71 Super Bug and a Westfalia camper, both 71's and painted the same burnt orange. My wife and I's first cars together. So I have a love for VW's.
A few years alter I read a magazine article about the Diesel Camper, it was the only automobile that they had tested that the brakes exhibited absolutely no fade.
It wasn't that the brakes were so good, it was it took such an incredibly long time for the Diesel camper to accelerate that they brakes had cooled

If you owned a Westphalia, you learned eventually that reverse was a lower gear than first and you could actually pull a steeper hill if you went up it backwards.

Remember John Muir's book? How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot: John Muir, Tosh Gregg: 9781562614805: Amazon.com: Books
Old 06-11-2014, 04:56   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

How to change a Bug's fan belt in less than 5 sec.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:15   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Many years ago I had a matched 71 Super Bug and a Westfalia camper, both 71's and painted the same burnt orange. My wife and I's first cars together. So I have a love for VW's.
A few years alter I read a magazine article about the Diesel Camper, it was the only automobile that they had tested that the brakes exhibited absolutely no fade.
It wasn't that the brakes were so good, it was it took such an incredibly long time for the Diesel camper to accelerate that they brakes had cooled

If you owned a Westphalia, you learned eventually that reverse was a lower gear than first and you could actually pull a steeper hill if you went up it backwards.

Remember John Muir's book? How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot: John Muir, Tosh Gregg: 9781562614805: Amazon.com: Books
That was ABSOLUTELY the mandatory VW bible in it's day, and a blast to read... First "Idiots" book I can recall.... I remember he used to recommend lots of "breaks" in the back of the van...

So Cal was the Mecca of the Bug Craze... Lots of shows... My friends, brother, and I used to do the engine swap contests.... We could do it in 2ish minutes...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel