Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2012, 11:49   #1

Boat: Oyster 55
Voyage Cats

Any Voyage Owners out there that would like to chat and share experiences with their boats?
Since my purchase of an owners version Voyage 440 over a year ago I have met only a few owners but I am sure they are out there so if anyone would like to share experiences please let me know.
I am relatively new to Cat sailing but have owned many cruising and racing monohulls over the last 35 years.
Would love to hear from other owners or anyone who is contemplating the purchase of a Voyage cat.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 12:14   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Re: Voyage Cats

Well were were about to consider purchasing one a nice 440 that had just come up from South Africa to The BVI's and i was rather impressed with its speed romping over from Sopers Hole to Great Harbour JVD.......BUT while it said 15 knots on the log it felt too easy (broad reach in 12/15 knots of wind) so i got out my H/H GPS and after it found the satellites speed was only 8 knots..............mmmm not as fast as my O461 in similar conditions...............more worrying was how did this cat come up from SA with an uncalibrated log that was grossly over reading. So i would love to here some unbiased views from an owner if that is actually possible. I am a big cat fan but so far the Admiral is unconvinced and i have taken her sailing on many many cats now...........yes she loves the room the saloon/galley/cockpit arrangements BUT not the lack of vision from the cockpit at least the V440 has a twin helm seat..............looks like it would have to be a Chris White Atlantic 48 OR maybe a Moorings (R/C) 4600 or perhaps a Lagoon 440/450 whereas i love the Lagoon 470 but it has the no vis cockpit drawback. I want 'easy' 10+ knots cruising speed.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 13:36   #3

Unrealistic for this boat to do 15 knots in 15knts of wind!
Although in 20-25 kts have maintained 12-13 with bursts to 15 with full jib and 1 reef on a reach. Have also done the same with 2 reefs in 30 knts. Boat does not feel any different with 1-2 reefs and handles nicely. (Again coming out of monohulls had to get use to sailing by the numbers and not the feel of the helm).
Have proven this consistently over the last year. She will go faster but since I put my racing in the background for awhile have not had the need to go any faster while running up and down the Caribbean. I also have a screecher that allows me to sail upwind instead of motoring in 6-8 knots of wind as well as an asym for downwind.
Have been faster than some of the new French cats with square top mains but get waterlined with some of the bigger cats.
Coming from a racing background I wanted a cat that you could feel the helm and actually sailed to weather. I also think folding props are a must. For the money I had to spend I feel that I have found it. Without mentioning any specific names I have sailed many cruising cats (some that you mentioned) that felt like I was driving my house and did not want that type of boat. My boat is very comfortable, fast and easy to care for but most importantly it is a SAILBOAT!
My suggestion is for you to sail some of the other cats you have mentioned and not just in heavy air but upwind in the lighter stuff and then see what you think. You won't find an Atlantic 48 for the same price of a Voyage 440 or a Moorings 46 for that matter but if money is no object buy a Gunboat. Also would recommend the Outremer but limited headroom for taller individuals. Many other boats out there so good luck in finding what suits you.
Old 20-02-2012, 17:03   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Well I have not managed anything over 10 knots in an of the cruising cats and some of them are real dogs :-( I was demo sailing a Catana 471 and hit 25 knots but they kept easing the sheets on me (as the other 'potential customers' were getting scared and wet) so i had to keep bearing away :-( :-) i sail a Dart Cat and fully understand cat sailing.....Outremere's are too agricultural for myself and/or the Admiral. Sailed a Gunboat and its too noisy and too expensive. Sailed some Erik Lerouge cats too NICE had a long sail on a 48 foot Erik Lerouge Inoui......with a wing sail rotating mast AWESOME blink and you were at ten knots and with one hull just kissing the water.............hardly for cruising BUT!!!

What is your take on the V440 that turned up on a US West coast beach upside down with no survivors?
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 17:40   #5

in the wrong place at the wrong time!!
conditions were horrendous but obviously we will never really know, should have never left port as they were apparently trying to make a deadline and knew bad weather was ahead..
could this have been the outcome in another cat??? I suppose but I am no expert.
I personally do not blame the boat design and would not have wanted to be in that situation in any cat or my monohull for that matter which is a Little Harbor 50 which I have sailed for over 12 years.
ask me again in a few years after I have more ocean miles on my Voyage. I suspect the boat will fair well as long as I do my part. However If I end up in the same situation as those poor souls then at least I would have had fun getting there!(smile)