Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-07-2016, 18:48   #16

Re: Volvo D2 Models

This thread is from 2014 and I was wondering if 2 years later, this O ring issue on all Volvo D2 engines is actually as wide spread and serious as indicated in the initial post.

Old 18-07-2016, 10:56   #17

Boat: Freydis 49

I had the exact same problem on a Yanmar 4jh3e with 1500 hrs on it, I now use a quality silicone o ring and replace it along with the impeller every 18 months or so.

Sent from my SM-T360 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 25-07-2016, 03:43   #18

Boat: Switch 51 #10

Hi, I have 2 D2-55A's 2003 in our cat. There is indeed a Perkins label on it.
I would appreciate it very much if one of you could post which Perkins engine is compatible? Or even identical? And maybe where I could find a parts catalog and recommendation where to buy parts?

Another question: Can this Perkins engine be connected to the SD25 saildrive, maybe using the Volvo Penta's adapter plate and flywheel? I am considering to re-power.

About the siphon loop:
I looked in the D2-55's installation manual. It states that a siphon loop is required if the static sea water level is less than 20 cm below the lowest point of the exhaust elbow.

Hope to hear from you. Thanks.
Old 25-07-2016, 04:34   #19

Regarding the leaking end cap:
I understand that this is a problem of the D2-55 C, D, E and F.
In our D2-55A's 2003 this problem does not occur.
The reason might be that in the older engines, there is a copper-coloured 3 mm thick plate between the large casting and the end cap, with O-rings on both sides.
Consequently, the salt water does not touch the large casting, which by the way is an aluminium alloy, not cast iron. And no corrosion occurs.
This copper plate is part nr. 6 in this exploded view of the D2-55A and B heat exchanger:
Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Heat Exchanger, Components D2-55, D2-55B - MarinePartsEurope.com

This is the exploded view of the D2-55 C, D, E and F heat exchanger:
Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Heat Exchanger, Components D2-55C, D2-55D, D2-55F - MarinePartsEurope.com

One is tempted to think that the change of the heat exchanger design from the C's on was purely done to reduce cost. They saved 2 Allen screws, one copper plate and a few O-rings. Plus maybe some other cost savings.
The problem can not be solved by retrofitting the old design, since Volvo Penta made this design obsolete.
Maybe the limited cost to Volvo Penta for warranty complaints is offset by the out-of-warranty profit of selling spares for this problem. So no rational reason for Volvo Penta to solve this issue.
Old 25-07-2016, 06:22   #20

The base block for your D2-55a engine was the Perkins 404c-22 industrial engine. The marineization and electrical system was designed in collaboration with Volvo Penta and the engine was produced at the Perkins plant in Peterborough, UK.

As far connecting this engine to the Yanmar SD25 saildrive, I think this would be a disaster. I don't know the maximum torque that the SD25 can accept, but I think Yanmar only uses it up to 30 HP. Connecting the SD25 to the D2-55 engine with 55hp@3000 RPM will probably result in a very quick saildrive failure.

DougR
Old 25-07-2016, 07:33   #21

Doug, thanks for your answer.
I made an error with SD25; I actually meant the MS25S saildrive from Volvo Penta, which was standard for the D2-55A. Later D2-55's have the Volvo Penta 130 saildrive.
Old 25-07-2016, 11:40   #22

I would think the Perkins industrial engine could be adapted to your MS25S drives, but you need to remember that the industrial engine is not set up for marine application. No heat exchanger, dry hot exhaust manifold, no engine support brackets, etc. If its time to repower, why not another D2-55? It drops right on to the existing engine bed.....and you can use your MS25s or go with a new 130s.

DougR
Old 25-07-2016, 12:40   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Does not look cast iron. Looks alloy.

b.

Tags
model, volvo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: