Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2015, 21:19   #1

Boat: Bavaria 44
Talking Views on Tasman Elite 12

We are new to catamarans and are looking at purchasing a Tasman Elite 12 - there are two for sale - one has an extended duckboard and the other is the standard cat.
I like the design of them, space-wise and they seem to be the only decent cats in our price range of under 200AUD. Obviously, if we could afford it we would go for one of the better Cats like Lagoons or Lightwave but sadly, they are out of our price range.
But - our concern is the height of the bridge deck. We have asked several people who claim to be in the know - some say they are quite slow boats, some say they are designed the way they are and sail really well with no more slapping than other cats and some say that they slap a lot because of the bridge deck height. So we are none the wiser.

What is the ideal bridgedeck height? Has anyone got experience on a Tasman Elite 12 that can advise us and what are the thoughts on the extended duckboard? Would it make the cat heavier at the back and is that a bad thing - would it be susceptible to a wave crashing on to it and pushing the boat under?

Our idea is coastal cruising so we don't intend crossing oceans but we would possibly like to circumnavigate Australia in a few years time.

And while I am asking all these questions - what are peoples views on hulls that are composite or GRP - such as the Grainger 40 - strip plank western red cedar with epxy and fibreglass composite? We are in a tropical climate so does that make a difference?

Anyone who has knowledge or advice - would love to hear it.
amandasearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 20:19   #2

Re: Views on Tasman Elite 12

As you point out the Tasman Elite has very low bridge deck clearance.

Im not sure your first requirement when buying a second hand catamaran should be interior layout.

Any second hand boat , selling a long way short of new price is going to require a substantial amount of money throwing at it to bring it back to a safe useable standard.

Just because the rigging wire hasn't started stranding, the motors start first time, or the sails aren't covered in patches doesn't mean they aren't seriously degraded.

If money is an issue, try going a little smaller. Things will be exponentially cheaper to
replace.

Have you looked at the Inspiration 10.5

Schionnings are now a dime a dozen on the second hand market. Most built with a lot of balsa. If you are practical with a grinder it could be for you. I'm not sure the asking price necessarily bares any resemblance to the selling price.
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 22:21   #3

Thanks Seaslug, - yes, we know there will be other costs once we get it and that is why the buy price is at that limit - so we can spend a bit making it right the way we want it. We will get a survey done before we buy it too and the rigging has been replaced less than a year ago.

We currently have a power boat (32ft) but we want to eventually live on the Cat for a couple of years while we travel around and think that something smaller will just not have enough living space for fulltime living. As it is, our 32ft mono seems to have more storage space than a 12m Cat.

We were warned off any boat that has balsa as apparently it isn't as good as they thought it might be.

I guess our main concern is the bridgedeck height and how much the Tasman would pound with a deck like that? Am finding it hard to find someone who actually has been on one that can tell me what its really like.
I have now found a Grainger 40 that might be worth a look at - they seem to have a higher bridgedeck and perhaps we would be safer going with that? I know the Tasman are for coastal cruising but I do wonder whether it has to be close in and calmer water?
Old 08-10-2015, 01:29   #4

Grainger designed some lovely boats.

A lot were home built so quality , and actually being built to plan vary.

He would be the best guy to ask about particular boats he designed.

Tony has the runs on the board.

Just because someone hangs up a shingle say'n "surveys done, enquire within"
it doesn't mean you will get what you need.

With some research you will find some good ones. The surveyors from a multihull shipwrighting background are the best.

Re bridgedeck clearance try this thread..http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-139095.html
Old 08-10-2015, 05:10   #5

Thanks Seaslug. Found some good info on that link. Starting to get the hang of it. Just wish I could meet or hear from someone who has Tasman Elite experience. Anyway, some information is better than no information and any knowledge is valuable.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:54   #6

I chartered one in the Whitsundays. Nice layout and size, pity about the bridge deck clearance.

Pretty cheap there are often a few for sale around the place.

Here is one going for auction, I wonder how much it will go for... Used Tasman Elite 12 - Auction for Sale | Yachts For Sale | Yachthub
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:54   #7

Oh ok. That's interesting. Did you find the boat slapped a lot in the Whitsundays or was it one of those very calm weeks? Whitsundays is our playground and our current boat is moored there so I know the area well. Would love to know what u thought of the Tasman's performance when you were on it?
Yes - actually I am going to that auction but not yet sure if I will bid as I'm still not convinced about the bridge deck height. Am going to measure it and see what it actually is
Old 08-10-2015, 13:39   #8

I found a good article on the bridge deck height. Seems general rule is LOA x .7
http://static1.squarespace.com/stati...kClearance.pdf
Old 08-10-2015, 13:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandasearle View Post
Thanks Seaslug. Found some good info on that link. Starting to get the hang of it. Just wish I could meet or hear from someone who has Tasman Elite experience. Anyway, some information is better than no information and any knowledge is valuable.
i'm trying to politely answer your question re Tasman elite sailing qualities without offending any owners.

I give up.

Ive sailed on one , and theres a very good reason there cheap.

its got to do with the bridgedeck clearance.

Old 08-10-2015, 15:31   #10

Haha - thanks Seaslug. I don't think anyone should be offended - surely you are entitled to your opinion. I prefer honesty to politeness It might save me a lot of money and trouble in the long run. I have booked the flights to see it so might as well see it through but now I know what I am looking for, that makes it a much more informed decision.
Old 08-10-2015, 16:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandasearle View Post
Oh ok. That's interesting. Did you find the boat slapped a lot in the Whitsundays or was it one of those very calm weeks? Whitsundays is our playground and our current boat is moored there so I know the area well. Would love to know what u thought of the Tasman's performance when you were on it?
Yes - actually I am going to that auction but not yet sure if I will bid as I'm still not convinced about the bridge deck height. Am going to measure it and see what it actually is
Yeah there was a surprising amount of slapping on pretty small chop. We did manage to get wash over the Bimini in some wind over tide conditions. It is a boat that would be fine for the Whitsundays, but perhaps not suited for further offshore.

Please let me know what that boat goes for at that auction, I would be very interested. For the right price it could be a bit of fun to practice then move into something bigger.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 16:25   #12

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Can't comment on the Elite but rented a 35 in the Whitsundays a few years ago and it banged like you would not believe.
Personally I love Graingers but one or two I looked within the last year have been on the market for years and in the flesh are far from what they are described as one in particular in around the Gold Coast.I also concur with the Simpson and plenty of them around that have had a ton of money already spent on them way under your budget.
However I think if you are prepared to spend 200K there are a lot of boats available and probably newer than the Elites.Forget the advertised price and bargain hard.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 16:27   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Bluntly the Elite 12 is a pretty old and slow design with ordinary bridgedeck clearance, having said that I would rather it than a similar lagoon, and older leopards wouldn't have any better clearance. IT is all about price, get a reasonable one in reasonable nick, maybe pay $140K - $165K depending on on condition.

For under 200K there are a few Easy's in brissie that might be better options, there is a rogers 40 (rush Hour) that is a great boat, strong and faster than anything else you will be looking at.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 16:49   #14

Thank you all, Moonos, Factor and Mirage - very helpful! I think I am convinced that it probably wont suit what we want to do with it. I know exactly what you mean about boats being advertised and when you get there it looks nothing like the advert! Very frustrating!
I have looked at a couple of Easy's but they don't appeal at all - they look like the interiors have been made on a budget. The Grainger I am looking at is in Cairns but again, I need to see it to believe it, condition wise. I think I need to keep looking.
Old 08-10-2015, 16:58   #15

Factor - where is the Rogers
40 'Rush hour' being advertised?