Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2015, 14:52   #151

Boat: Lightwave 45
Re: Using electric motors instead of Diesel on your cat

Quote:
I do not have it backwards...it is listed under options as: The Old Iron Propulsion Package (in lieu of standard electric) $75,000.

That is the standard so if you want Diesel it cost more. From what I understand the space savings in the engine compartment is going to be designed into the interior. Therefore if you want the old system it will be more than a drop in. This is a production boat now not custom.
It is not that we disbelieve this. We are simply trying to make sense of this data.

I suspect what is happening here is that Gunboat wishes to propagate the electric package and have tooled up to do so and the electric components are included in the price regardless.

The term "Old Iron Propulsion Package" would seem to back up this view.

If you want diesel then it seems what they are doing is charging the additional costs of the diesel motors plus the structural modifications and not subtracting the standard electrical costs. This is an interesting marketing strategy indeed.

I guess if I was in that the market for this boat I would elect to spend money on electric upscaling of around 100% to make the boat safe.

It will be interesting to see the specs of the boats now coming out of the factory. Once we actually see one that survives for longer than a month or so blue water cruising we may be able to come up with some conclusions.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, electric, electric motor, motor