Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 06:53   #16

Boat: Sadler 26
Apolloduck

apolloduck.com
This seems to be a site worth looking into.
biltong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:03   #17

Re: Using a Broker on YachtWorld

Sorry to bring this thread back to live but it was the best place I could find.

I have a yacht for sale that I am currently cruising on, moving through the Caribbean. So a broker's daily work of showing boats won't happen here. I am also more than happy to directly deal with any buyer that comes along.

I am aware that Yachtworld rules the market and I would like to list it there. So I need a listing broker, but honestly a 10% commission is ridiculous for that.

Can someone point me to a broker that lists on yachtworld for a reasonable flat fee, covering his time and some profit?

Thanks!
shabbab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:52   #18

Boat: Sadler 26

Hi Shabbab, don't know if this will help, but I sold my yacht through Bay Island Yacht Brokers who are in St Maarten and in Trinidad, or rather they were back in 2003. The broker was Heather Underwood.
heather@bayislandyachts.com
Mark
Old 09-03-2012, 07:05   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
In my opinion the Yacht Brokers Association of America are worthless. We fought for 3 months to get a $17,000 deposit back from a broker who was a member of the YBAA. All the YBAA's concern was whether the broker had payed his dues that year. It took a call from a lawyer and a letter from the attorney general to get our money back in installments, they never put the check into an escrow account, they cashed it.

I have had a very similar experience, although a lawyer wasn't necessary in the end. It just took a personal appearance from me to make clear the repercussions for taking my money. Funny how many excuses a broker can come up with about how 20k just disappears! Also had many bad experience with brokers as clients in the boatyard. IMHE they are not concerned with representing either party fairly, only ensuring that the sale goes through at the highest number possible so they can get a commission. Never trust a broker.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I have had a very similar experience, although a lawyer wasn't necessary in the end. It just took a personal appearance from me to make clear the repercussions for taking my money. Funny how many excuses a broker can come up with about how 20k just disappears! Also had many bad experience with brokers as clients in the boatyard. IMHE they are not concerned with representing either party fairly, only ensuring that the sale goes through at the highest number possible so they can get a commission. Never trust a broker.
I had both experiences as a buyer. Good an honest, going the extra mile to help. But many are clueless, ignorant, dumb or simply liars.
For them a a boat viewing costs an hours or so - and it's a chance to earn some money. So some just do whatever it takes to make you shw up at their dock.
Some viewings cost me a full day and a few hundret bucks for travel costs. Yet they don't seem to understand that I am a bit emarrased to find a wreck.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:33   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by biltong View Post
Hi Shabbab, don't know if this will help, but I sold my yacht through Bay Island Yacht Brokers who are in St Maarten and in Trinidad, or rather they were back in 2003. The broker was Heather Underwood.
heather@bayislandyachts.com
Mark
Was that a deal based on commission or flat fee for listing on Yachtworld?

I can get a commission deal from any broker but none I asked so far has agreed on a flat fee for listing.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbab View Post
Was that a deal based on commission or flat fee for listing on Yachtworld?

I can get a commission deal from any broker but none I asked so far has agreed on a flat fee for listing.
Looks like you can BECOME a broker for a couple of hundred bucks then do it yourself...
Old 09-03-2012, 08:19   #23

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Just for starters I'd put it on CL in So. Fla. There are lots of CL search engines like SearchTempest that let you search the whole deal nationally. Any savvy buyer knows that that's where the boats are especially a cat. You can change the listing slightly and put it up elsewhere too. Not allowed by the CL rules but everybody does it. Did you put it up here and over at the other forum?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:29   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

I am not sure if they will do a flat fee, but I used a broker finding my last boat that was very knowledgable and trustworthy. I would use him and his wife to sell my boat. If you would like to contact them, just PM me and I'll give you the contact information. They are located in the Annapolis area and were cruisers for several years.
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:02   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbab View Post
I am aware that Yachtworld rules the market and I would like to list it there. So I need a listing broker, but honestly a 10% commission is ridiculous for that.

Can someone point me to a broker that lists on yachtworld for a reasonable flat fee, covering his time and some profit?

Thanks!
Sorry, can't help with that.....does anyone know what a Broker pays yachtworld to have listings? and the basis (per boat? or whatever?).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 18:36   #26

Boat: Westsail 32

I find Search Tempest is cumbersome. Best way to search Craigslist everywhere is mainly by Yahoo and sometimes Google depending on the boat. The way you do it is by using....site:craigslist.org/boa/...after the boat type. For example to search for a Cape Dory, enter the phrase..... "cape dory" site:craigslist.org/boa/ ......into the search field. You can filter it by time too by choosing day, week, month or year. For Bing you have to use brackets as in (site:craigslist.org/boa/) instead of the quotes. For example if you are looking for an Allied boat it would be......allied site:craigslist.org/boa/....
Eyeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 18:59   #27

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Interesting Eyeback. How do you filter Google by going for a range in price? Let's say I'm looking for a catamaran between $30,000 and $300,000. What do i type?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:59   #28
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeback View Post
I find Search Tempest is cumbersome. Best way to search Craigslist everywhere is mainly by Yahoo and sometimes Google depending on the boat. The way you do it is by using....site:craigslist.org/boa/...after the boat type. For example to search for a Cape Dory, enter the phrase..... "cape dory" site:craigslist.org/boa/ ......into the search field. You can filter it by time too by choosing day, week, month or year. For Bing you have to use brackets as in (site:craigslist.org/boa/) instead of the quotes. For example if you are looking for an Allied boat it would be......allied site:craigslist.org/boa/....
One of the things I have wondered (but never done anything about!) is whether it is possible to create a Mini-me Search Engine (available on the Web for all to use). Rather than using Google (or whatever) to search entire Internet, instead use the Mini-me Search Engine to search only specific websites which have been manually pre-approved / nominated. For example, the websites Yachtworld.com, Bob's Brokers.com, Craigslist.com etc etc.

The results would probably be a bit rough and ready (Google / CF! style) but if searching for specific boat models (and maybe length?) would probably work well enough, just have to accept that it won't be much good in throwing up anything more specific, like only fin keelers located in Kansas .

Any thoughts on this?
Old 10-03-2012, 03:23   #29
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

David,

Google offers you the ability to create a custom search engine that searches only the sites that you specify. That's how I created the one in the link in my signature line.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:00   #30
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
David,

Google offers you the ability to create a custom search engine that searches only the sites that you specify. That's how I created the one in the link in my signature line.
Thanks for that , from my quick looksee seems to be what I was after (plussess and minuses to that!)........will give me something to play with a bit later.