Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 03:49   #1

Used... Fountaine Pajot Orana 44

I think we go for a used Fountaine Pajot Orana 44. We like the size and design in and out, and hope we are abel to find one for good a price...

Anywho know when first year came out ?

Any specific stuff to look at on body, other problems... ?

Any owner in EU ???
We real like to see one life we are from Denmark and Multihull are not common around. Think we want to sail in MD and keep it ther...

Happy new year all !
Rigo
Sea hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 09:50   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Used... Fountaine Pajot Orana 44

Orana's are great boats; I had two of them and I sold one last week. I have another one also for sale (4 cabins/4 heads) and if you are interested drop me a PM..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 13:19   #3

Boat: Catana 471

Sorry yeloya, I couldn't resist, and with no intended slight to the Orana...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Orana's are great boats; I had two of them and I sold one last week. I have another one also for sale (4 cabins/4 heads) and if you are interested drop me a PM..
Aren't all boats great boats when you're trying to sell them?

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 14:22   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Dave,

Would have I ever bought her if I din't believe that she was "great" ?? As you probably know, I am running a charter and yacht service company. May I therefore say that;
a) the boat is also in "great" shape as she has been serviced by my own people since she was bought ?
b)I am not in hurry of selling any boat, they keep on bringing money as they are all chartered. Otherwise how could I afford to own 4 cats ?

Why she is for sale then ? because bigger and newer cat could sail even better and bring better return on investment and I cannot afford to buy such boat w/out selling one or two of the existing boats..

By the way, great boat isn't by any standard the" best" or the "ideal" boat and for everyone. I also own a Helia althought I hate the concept of flybridge but charter customers love it..

To me, with a few exceptions, every boat is "great" provided that the price vs. performance and quality is fair and meets the requirements/
/expectations of the owner...

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 29-12-2015, 15:24   #5

Boat: Catana 471

Roger that. I was in no way was intending to be serious. Best of luck to you.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 16:42   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Btw Rigo, Yeloya has been a long time supporter and contributor to CF and always honest in his assessment of pros and cons of various designs he has sailed, as well as helpful with any questions he might be able to answer. Friend have reported he is the same in person. If I was in the market and he had a cat for sale that I was interested in, I'd likely be booking a flight to take a look. I guess the location is an ideal place to start a med/rtw cruise as well, or simply for the longer sailing seasons than the rest of the med. good luck!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 23:37   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thx a lot for kind statements..

Wish everyone a very good 2016, fair winds and happy sailing..

Yeloya
Old 30-12-2015, 01:47   #8

[QUOTE=yeloya;2000544

By the way, great boat isn't by any standard the" best" or the "ideal" boat and
To me, with a few exceptions, every boat is "great" provided that the price vs. performance and quality is fair and meets the requirements/
/expectations of the owner...

Cheers

Yeloya[/QUOTE]

Words of wisdom.

Sea Hunter; Check for osmosis on this model. Not all Oranas suffered and if correctly repaired will be better than new, but it's something that must be checked by a competent surveyor.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 02:15   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Words of wisdom.

Sea Hunter; Check for osmosis on this model. Not all Oranas suffered and if correctly repaired will be better than new, but it's something that must be checked by a competent surveyor.
That's true, in fact both of my Orana's had to be treated. The ones that have been built after hull # 50 or so are safer, but you better check carefully anyway..
I also to remind you that offcially hull warranty for FP is 5 years and not applicable to second hand boats. In most cases FP is rather flexible with this policy and sometimes accepts the warranty works for older or second hand boats, but you better make sure if you decide to buy an Orana.

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 30-12-2015, 02:56   #10

Nice info's thx

Yeloya what about the EU tax ? please tell me what a normal to do when buy a cat from your place/charter

Yeloya I see you got all the models we look for minus largoon... Orana 44 Belize 43 Lipari 41

Which of these models do you self love most , perhaps why ? (nice pages you got ! very pro)

BR
Rigo
Sea hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 03:23   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea hunter View Post
Nice info's thx

Yeloya what about the EU tax ? please tell me what a normal to do when buy a cat from you place/charter

BR
Rigo
I don't know.. My boats are turkish flagged and registered "commercial". In that case here we are exempt of 18% VAT but still pay 8 % sales taxes.
(If someone buys a boat for private use, you pay 18 % VAT + 8 % sales taxes. That's why 90 % of turks simply takes US flag from Delaware with no tax, whatsoever..)

Back to yr question, I would have assumed that you will be subject to the tax regulation of the country of flag you want to take.

Yeloya
Old 30-12-2015, 07:58   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

My understanding of the VAT:
I suppose you can buy in turkey for "export" so no tax applies in Turkey. If not you can probably buy with handover in the next EU port.

As soon as you enter the first EU country you have to import the boat, paying VAT and customs fees at the rate that this particular country.
Some folks do that, most seem to take their chances and just don't pay until they get caught.
That is if you buy the boat as a private person with EU residence.

If you buy the boat for commercial charter things are different and you may be VAT exempt, but then you can get into a different, country specific minefield if you want to use your boat yourself unless VAT has been paid.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 08:12   #13

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43

Hi Sea Hunter,

Good advices earlier in this post re the Orana. I imported my cat from Sweden to Norway and had to pay 25 %VAT to Norway, the boat was commercial in Sweden therefore no VAT was paid. In Denmark if you decide to import you should pay Turkish 18% VAT, which saves you on paying Danish VAT. This is an EU agreement that say you can import from any contry to another not paying any surcharge to meet other countries VAT charges.

We sail a Belize 43 and is happy with her and the way the Belize is put together, exeption being the cockpit sliding door, which is a pain in the ass as any water sloshing onto the outside leaks into the cabin sole. This is due to a faulty design, which cannot be fixed according to FP themselves!

Good luck with your search for the cat of your dreams.

Happy lead free sailing from Lucky

Happy new and prosperous year to all CF readers out there.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 08:34   #14

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Hi Sea Hunter,

Good advices earlier in this post re the Orana. I imported my cat from Sweden to Norway and had to pay 25 %VAT to Norway, the boat was commercial in Sweden therefore no VAT was paid. In Denmark if you decide to import you should pay Turkish 18% VAT, which saves you on paying Danish VAT. This is an EU agreement that say you can import from any contry to another not paying any surcharge to meet other countries VAT charges.

Are you sure this applies to VAT that was paid outside EC?
Turkey is not a member of the EC (although they want to join).
Old 30-12-2015, 08:37   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Absolutely correct. All İ am süre about is that you don't pay an tax in Turkey. İ sold recently a boat to a Russian Guy Who chose to take an US flag (delaware). Wè did Thé deletion from Turkish flag and export out of Turkey. No cost for neither parties. För Thé rest it All Depend on the regulations of the country you want to import the boat.
Cheers
Yeloya

Tags
fountaine pajot, orana