Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2017, 17:07   #31

Re: Used Cat market in the next 10 years

As a blue collar worker who would like to buy and cruse a Catamaran in the next 8 to 10 years I would really like to get some input from people who have watched the market to get an idea of what I should be saving. My gess looking at the few boats that are on the used market now is that for an 04-08 40 to 44ft cruising cat from one of the big three I should be looking at around 200K +40-50 for a refit as most of the boats will be former charter boats that have then seen 1 more owner. dose anyone think I am being overly optimistic or even pessimistic to think these boats will deprecate 60 to 90K over the next 8-10 years?
FSJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 17:42   #32
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJunky View Post
As a blue collar worker who would like to buy and cruse a Catamaran in the next 8 to 10 years I would really like to get some input from people who have watched the market to get an idea of what I should be saving. My gess looking at the few boats that are on the used market now is that for an 04-08 40 to 44ft cruising cat from one of the big three I should be looking at around 200K +40-50 for a refit as most of the boats will be former charter boats that have then seen 1 more owner. dose anyone think I am being overly optimistic or even pessimistic to think these boats will deprecate 60 to 90K over the next 8-10 years?

15-20 years ago you could purchase a used cat and at least get your money out of it or maybe make a profit when you sold, as catamarans on the used market weren't as plentiful as they are today. In the last few years I have seen used cats take a pretty good drop in price and with the numbers being built I don't see this changing. How much they will depreciate would be a guess.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 18:00   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSJunky View Post
I'm not well educated on this. Don't own a boat. But I've followed along for... well, I'm not sure. Longer than I'd like. :-)

This is just my gut but: I've seen it said here that once a boat hits about 10 years old it's done depreciating and then you start paying for standard of maintenance.

So if that's accurate I wouldn't expect the boats to depreciate any faster than inflation. Meaning their sticker price will stay relatively stable for well maintained/upgraded examples while still becoming technically more affordable for your average Joe.

Average prices might trend a bit lower over time, but that's probably more of a factor of more of the boats on the market needing more work.

I'm in kind of the same boat at this point (proof-reading; missed the pun the first time!). 7 to 10 years out and I'm hoping a budget of $300K + a $50K refit will get me a tidy example of a Saona 47, Leopard 45 or Open 46. We'll see I guess.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 18:55   #34

He talks about boat cost with age at about the 14min mark, the rest of the data is pretty interesting, but his data shows a continued price drop past 10 years.
FSJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 19:34   #35

Thanks! I actually just finished his interview with the broker about regional and seasonal pricing. Excited to give this one a watch.
ssmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 19:36   #36
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I think catamaran prices are going down - but only because the boats are getting older. Older boats and older designs are just not worth as much.

Look at newer boat prices and they have definitely gone up. I'd guess that the price has increased by about 6 feet over the last 15 years. In other words, what a 44' costs today is what a 50' cost 15 years ago.
Old 18-07-2017, 20:09   #37

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'

I don't foresee unusual changes other than the expected one of more older cats becoming available so older cats may become slightly more affordable. Cats aren't new anymore, no use thinking they will change the sailing world overnight. May go from 7% to 8% of the sailboat market. The price precludes most would be buyers.

Boats value goes down as it gets older...with a few exceptions. Good luck getting top dollar for a 40 year old boat.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 20:18   #38

Thank you to everyone who has replied some great info and further resources for me to look at. We will be in the market for a ocean going boat in about 10 years and I'm getting serious about our retirement planning and have started researching now. Our plan is to spend 6-7 months a year on the boat and the rest of the year in an RV. I'm hoping that the large numbers of Cats being sold now will result in somewhat lower prices and more options to choose from by then. My DH would prefer a trawler (stabilized) and I'd prefer a catamaran. I know we are backwards the wife wants a sailboat and the husband a power boat lol. We plan to do a crewed charter in the next year or so and I think I can convert him to the Cat...we can get one with engines after all
OneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 16:59   #39

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Time to drop the politics or the moderators will close this thread.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2017, 08:43   #40

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
And slips for them will become harder and harder to find.
I'd rather anchor out, but we do have to go into marinas at times. Here is what I've seen, some marinas are expanding. Other are changing their slips around when they upgrade, and new marinas are making room for cats.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 11:18   #41

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneUp View Post
My DH would prefer a trawler (stabilized) and I'd prefer a catamaran.
A sailing cat makes a great trawler. Stabilization built in and doesn't require power or extra maintenance. The hulls are more efficient. 2 engines + sails - that's redundancy. Most cat owners cruise long distance on just one engine, much more efficient than a trawler. If you really don't want to mess w/ sails, take them off, or just get an asymmetrical spin on a furler and only sail off the wind.

So it really comes down to style.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 12:44   #42

Our cat does 7kts on one engine burning about 3 liters/hr. I Have had several trawler people suggest we take off the mast put it in storage and "do a loop" up the ICW.

Style does matter
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2017, 12:54   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
God listen to me, I'm officially an old fart.

The younger generation coming through now aren't going to want to put up a sail. They don't even want to turn a key, so when the smart phone starts the boat it should just find it's way to wherever they are not sure they want to go.

In short they will want power catamarans not sail boats.
I'm going to have to agree with Dave_S here.. I think it's a really valid point.. I'm not officially an old fart (yet - mid 30's) and I love to sail both mono's and cat's and dinghies for pleasure. That being said, it's the lifestyle, the mindset, and the nomadic freedom that takes my wife and I over the edge to pursue it full time in the future. Sails always made sense for the access to broad areas over extended periods while staying within a mobile budget. But if solar and electric motors continue to improve and trend as much as they already are, I won't hesitate to consider alternative approaches to that remote lifestyle if it makes sense to do so. And I think we aren't going to be the only ones interested in trading wind for the sun as their source for energy. We're a long ways off from that being mainstream however (I see 25yrs personally).
deecue is offline   Reply With Quote