Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2016, 23:58   #16

Re: US Army Retired trying to get into this life singlehandedly

just to give you an image of what appears to be a very well-cared for Westsail 28', 1976
looks indestructible
check the types of gear
SIEMPRE SABADO - W28

Old 26-09-2016, 08:46   #17
Marine Service Provider

As others have said, do a lot of sailing before buying a boat. Maintenance and parts replacement work on an old boat is essentially never-ending and very time consuming. If you are not a do-it-yourself enthusiast, buy a new boat - paying other people to work on a boat is strictly for the idle rich. Living on any sailboat less than 30 feet is a form of camping, which some people enjoy and some don't .
We have lots of great boat equipment for you, but a boat is nothing like any other possession - it possesses you, so you'd better be sure it's true love before signing up.
Good luck, Ranger

John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group I

Old 26-09-2016, 08:55   #18

Boat: Catalina 36

I am a DAV and I just purchased and am refitting my Catalina 36'.

TAKE YOUR TIME and SEARCH CAREFULLY. There are good deals out there. There is also a LOT OF CRAP out there.

I looked at several monohulls before choosing this one. I got lucky.

Some were GHASTLY.

Charles Hagen
(GO AIR FORCE!)
Old 26-09-2016, 08:59   #19

Boat: MacGregor M26S with aspirations to cruise

Thank you for your service and welcome to the wonderful world of sailing!

Lurk around here long enough and you'll find pros and cons to every boat you'll ever consider. If you find something you are truly thinking about buying, post some pics and specs here and expect to get some honest feedback. There's a great group here that will be happy to give you their opinions!!!

As said before, start small, go sailing, try different boats...and cash is king.

Best of luck!
Old 26-09-2016, 09:01   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380 Cat 38 ft

First; Thank you for your service. You said zero assets and $3500.00 a month.
That one is tough....The zero assets part. You are more than welcome aboard our Cat for a sail and to go over with you all the expenses we have spent in the last 5 years full time cruising. We will be in Florida east coast this winter.
Cheers
Old 26-09-2016, 09:07   #21

I'd also like to thank you for your service to our country!!

Check out this book..,

'Get Real, Get Gone: How to Become a Modern Sea Gypsy and Sail Away Forever'
By Rick Page and Jasna Tuta

Fun read!
Enjoy your retirement! You've earned it!
Old 26-09-2016, 09:09   #22

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashten1171 View Post
Hello all, Im about to retire from the Army in a month or so. I have a ton of questions. First mainly would be what I can afford. I know this is subjective but I dont want to buy something thats really nice yet I cant afford to enjoy countries I plan on visiting. I will have to finance my boat. Just so you have an idea my retirement will be around $3,500 a month. Zero debt however no assets (divorce took care of that). Would really love a comfortable cat but not ruling out mono either. Either way has to be a boat I can operate myself. Taking sailing lessons soon. I will probably try to link up and act as crew member just to ensure this life is for me. I am pretty sure it will be. Tight spaces, rocky boats = Living in tents in bagdad, helicopter rides in combat zones,etc. I think It will be up my alley. Anyways my plan is to get this boat live aboard full time and travel the world. Any advice would be awesome. Thank you for reading my post!
-Ashten SFC Retired US Army Ranger.
Welcome! My husband and I were both in the Army. He's retired Special Forces. Absolutely wait until you take lessons. We found out Tom didn't likt to heel. So it was a cat for us.

Buy something you can handle alone. There are lots of cats that fit the bill. If you have a TSP, you can tap it for the purchase. That's what we did. PM me if you want to know how to do it. The best thing is to set a limit for your mortgage if you can't afford to buy it outright. USAA has good rates. Then set aside an amount for maintenance and improvements. You'll also need insurance. GEICO is the cheapest.

Take the time to learn your boat by taking short costal hops and using the ICW.

Good luck!

Maje
Old 26-09-2016, 09:09   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK from another Retired Army guy,
First, never, ever finance the boat, a good boat can be had for less than you think, and then save for a better boat, with your income you can. I won't get into the Cat debate, but I will tell you that you can't possibly know what you want, not yet anyway. Don't just follow the herd, make up your own mind what you want, once you learn enough to have a clue.
Poorly made boats, ones we gather into a group and call "production boats" are not very well made, interior is Ikea type cheap and plastic and falls apart, the whole boat will be built with saving production costs being first and foremost. Stay away from these, they will break your spirit.
Now we shouldn't call them production boats, cause many production boats are very high quality and some custom boats are not. There are no hard a fast rules here and labels don't mean much.
You'll hear "blue water" boat too, means as much as production boat. In truth look for quality and a good design, once you learn what that is. You can't necessarily go by brand names either, there are good years and bad years for most boats.

A well designed and well built boat will outlive us, I assure you, although an idiot can trash one in a short time too, worry more about condition than age, this took me awhile to learn, I figured boats were like cars and simply wore out, but in truth there are very few moving parts, and if well cared for, they do not wear out.
I ended up buying a much older boat than I would allow myself to look at in the beginning, and I believe i ended up with a better boat because of that.

Military marinas are few and far between, I have only found one to stay at, it was down in Key West at the Naval Airstation, clean, safe and well kept and very inexpensive, of course it was on post, miles away from anything off post.

The most important thing that took me awhile to learn when boat shopping is that boat cost and quality do not necessarily go hand in hand, I saw many more expensive boats that were not well made quality boats before I found mine, in fact I was truthfully about to give up.
Old 26-09-2016, 09:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Only if you run two engines all the time. Most cat sailors run both for docking etc, but for general motoring/motor sailing run on one, so there's really not much more maintenance.
Very true. Practically the only time we run two engines is for maneuvering. Also, redundancy is very nice. I can't tell you how often it's been helpful to just look at the other engine to find out what is wrong with the one we're working on.

Maje
Old 26-09-2016, 09:42   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK from another Retired Army guy,
First, never, ever finance the boat, a good boat can be had for less than you think, and then save for a better boat, with your income you can. I won't get into the Cat debate, but I will tell you that you can't possibly know what you want, not yet anyway. Don't just follow the herd, make up your own mind what you want, once you learn enough to have a clue.
Poorly made boats, ones we gather into a group and call "production boats" are not very well made, interior is Ikea type cheap and plastic and falls apart, the whole boat will be built with saving production costs being first and foremost. Stay away from these, they will break your spirit.
Now we shouldn't call them production boats, cause many production boats are very high quality and some custom boats are not. There are no hard a fast rules here and labels don't mean much.
You'll hear "blue water" boat too, means as much as production boat. In truth look for quality and a good design, once you learn what that is. You can't necessarily go by brand names either, there are good years and bad years for most boats.

A well designed and well built boat will outlive us, I assure you, although an idiot can trash one in a short time too, worry more about condition than age, this took me awhile to learn, I figured boats were like cars and simply wore out, but in truth there are very few moving parts, and if well cared for, they do not wear out.
I ended up buying a much older boat than I would allow myself to look at in the beginning, and I believe i ended up with a better boat because of that.

Military marinas are few and far between, I have only found one to stay at, it was down in Key West at the Naval Airstation, clean, safe and well kept and very inexpensive, of course it was on post, miles away from anything off post.
We financed our boat, but made sure that it was an amount we could afford. And we've had a lot of luck finding military marinas.

Maje
Old 26-09-2016, 09:43   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 32

NAS Pensacola has a marina, and slip rental is well below Pensacola rates. It's restricted to active and retired members of the armed forces, and I'll bet that you can get much help from those you will meet there.
Old 26-09-2016, 09:49   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop

Ashten - as with others, thanks for your service!

I live outside the base gates about 20 miles south of you - have an
86' Cal 27 and 79' Pearson 365 on Tom's Bayou. Would be glad to
give you some intro to sailing and answer questions. ALWAYS trying
to increase the members of our sailing community

Give me a PM and I'll send my contact details

Joe
Old 26-09-2016, 09:55   #28

Ashten - congrats on your pending retirement, and TYFYS. I too am looking ahead towards retirement.... Currently at 22 years, and looking to retire in 26 months from the Marine Corps.

I wanted to comment on the sailing classes offered by the Navy MWR and marinas. I just took the basic sailing class and am signed up for the intermediate. They are GREAT courses, and are US Sailing certified. They offer basic, intermediate, advanced, spinnaker, and navigation courses. Out here in California (camp pendleton) they also rent boats 16-30', and conduct cruises to various marinas and islands. It's a great opportunity.

Pensacola seems to only offer those classes from Mar-Sep at the Bayou Grand Marina, while also offering very affordable slip fees. (6.50-7.50 per foot per month)

There was an Air Force marina just past Navarre FL, when I was stationed in Pensacola, but cant remember the name of it. I only used them for dropping my power boat in the water, but the rented boats. It's possible that they may have a sailboat class or certification courses. Out here in camp pendleton, the classes are 4 days long, and start at 250 for basic, 300 for intermediate, and 350 for advanced.

Good luck in your adventures, and happy retirement!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-09-2016, 11:09   #29

Boat: Sou'wester 50 yawl

This brings back memories. When I finished my second tour in 'Nam in 1969' , I bought a boat and lived on it. It was a 42 foot schooner. I tried the NAVY moorings in Pensacola but then living aboard was forbidden. So I took a slip at the Pensacola Yacht Club, they had no problem with live aboard and they couldn't have been nicer. And cruising the Gulf coast was great. After a year or so I returned to the treadmill and became a brain surgeon. Nonetheless, there has not been a single day since that time that I haven't thought about being on the boat and cruising .
Old 26-09-2016, 11:11   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The most important thing that took me awhile to learn when boat shopping is that boat cost and quality do not necessarily go hand in hand, I saw many more expensive boats that were not well made quality boats before I found mine, in fact I was truthfully about to give up.
^^^THIS. Price of a used boat has zero correlation to condition. Never assume a boat that costs more is in better condition.

Many boats (I would say most boats) for sale. have been neglected and unused for years. Ideally the boat you want to buy is one just refitted but the owner has health issues and needs to sell it. Most boats have issues. The Big power boat next to the Rose, just sold a few weeks ago and the engines ran. Now last week there are guys working on one of the engines trying to get it started.

Myself, I purchased a OLD 1972 boat that the plumbing and electrical were trashed, battery's were toast, electronics were ancient and even the compass was frozen. But the hull and deck was solid glass and in good shape (That for me was a biggy). The mast and standing rigging were good and the standing rigging had stalock fittings, which means new rigging can be DIY What sold me was the repowered Yanmar and the lovely shear (lines) of the boat. That and I actually had cash to buy it.

Lastly, There are no perfect boats. All are compromises. Also Asking price is only the start of negotiations. Most boats (not all) sell for 20-30% less then asking. Some for much less.

Tags
single

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: