Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2015, 11:50   #16

Re: Upgrade using kit for Lewmar 48 ST winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Hi Eve,

I fully understand your requirements as a Belize owner for the last 8 years.
I have changed the set-up of the winches for the headsail by moving the port winch over to starboard side and rearrange the sheet so that it goes via a footblock at the port side back to a bloch attached via flat webbing at the mast and then back to the winch.
Next job will be to electrify one of the winches, which will be the original located ST48 since there are a hatch plate inside the stairwell that would allow for the electric motor to protrude down.

To use this winch for the main halyard you will need to fit a block at the mast which must be installed so that the angle of the halyard prevent the halyard to roll over itself on the winch drum.
This set-up will allow you to use one electric winch for all your needs. Forget an electric winch at the mast for the main, too bulky and problematic when reefing.

Good luck with your Belize.
Happy lead free sailing from Lucky
Hi Lucky,
Can you possibly post a photo of your rigging setup? We are at the boat yard and they are interested in how you managed the sheets and blocks to get all the lines to the starboard winch.
Eve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 13:22   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

There really isn't any advantage to buying a new electric unit versus just buying the additional electric kit. The electric motor is just a bolt on to the standard winch. If you buy a complete electric setup you actually get two packages, a winch in one and the conversion kit in the other.

The only reason I can think to buy a complete electric winch would be if you are upgrading to a larger winch.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 14:21   #18
Marine Service Provider

I have a couple of brand new , in box lewmar evo 55 , 12v electric winches
They come with breaker , fuse , foot switch , ELS box and winch Handel
ELS is a single speed load sensing winch. Does away with 2 speed and two foot switches. It speeds up under light load that makes furling a dream. I had one on our leopard 47 and we lived aboard for 4 years and 20 000 miles. Not once did it fail or damage any of my sails . I think that's pretty much arm chair talk !
$3200 incl shipping
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:30   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
There really isn't any advantage to buying a new electric unit versus just buying the additional electric kit. The electric motor is just a bolt on to the standard winch. If you buy a complete electric setup you actually get two packages, a winch in one and the conversion kit in the other.

The only reason I can think to buy a complete electric winch would be if you are upgrading to a larger winch.
Another reason was eluded to earlier in the thread. Someone who had bought the conversion kit said it cost almost the same as new electric winch. If this is true, then buying a new one and selling the manual winch could come out much better financially than buying the conversion.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:48   #20

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Having installed these kits on other boats, I am a bit experienced with them. On my own boat ( a 40 foot trimaran with 300 sq. ft. main and 600 sq. ft. jib) I use Harken ST40.2 winches for the halyards and main sheet, and two ST 50.2 for the jib sheet winches. My suggestion is to purchase a Milwaukee right angle 28 volt drill motor with winch bit, or to purchase a "Winch Buddy", which is the same thing, but with a neoprene cover that masks the fact that it's a Milwaukee right angle drill. Try it out first before committing to an electric drive winch. I think yu will get the picture immediately. Then, should you really get it, buy an additional battery pack. If you don't like it, you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to sell on Craigslist to another sailor. I only use the drill motor if I want someone to send me up to the masthead without cranking me. Otherwise I use it for work. The first two pics are of a Harken I installed a year or two ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0244.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	107299   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0240.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	424.4 KB
ID:	107300  

Click image for larger version

Name:	67A_big.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	107305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Cranker w drill cover.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	107306  

Attached Images

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 18:52   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
NEVER under any circumstances put a furling line on a winch let alone an electric one! That's a recipe for a damaged or broken forestay!!!
This is likely the outlook of someone with a smaller boat. With larger sails, use of a winch is often necessary when furling. We have used a furling winch for nearly thirty years and over 120,000 miles of cruising and have never yet destroyed anything. Of late we use a milwaukee right angle drill to drive the winch, and have not destroyed anything.

So, I must respectfully disagree with your "Never use a winch" dictum.

Jim
Old 14-08-2015, 19:24   #22
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
NEVER under any circumstances put a furling line on a winch let alone an electric one! That's a recipe for a damaged or broken forestay!!!
IMO you should put an "IMO" in front of a statement like this. As Jim posted, there are ton's of sailors who do without any such problem. Probably the vast majority.
Old 14-08-2015, 23:06   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Another reason was eluded to earlier in the thread. Someone who had bought the conversion kit said it cost almost the same as new electric winch. If this is true, then buying a new one and selling the manual winch could come out much better financially than buying the conversion.

Mark
This might be true except that the cost of the kit is exactly equal to the cost of the winch plus the conversion. Plus or minus shipping cost.

Of course if you can find a deal on the parts it might be worth it. And as always never pay retail price for winches. It's too easy to get discounts on them.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 01:15   #24

Boat: secondarily boatless

PMMM???

So how do you reef the genoa in stronger winds? Upwards of 20 knots I find it impossible to pull it in by hand, and it is (on my boat) led back directly to the cockpit winch. And yes, we have had cases where we caught the gennaker halyard, and yes, obviously I found that the force was getting excessive, so I stopped, we investigated and resolved the issue. Never had a problem with this.

That having been said, I would be hesitant with an electric winch - unless I could tell exactly how hard it was pulling (you get to know your boat pretty well after a few years...)

Oliver

Quote:
Oliver L. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar, winch