Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2015, 11:26   #1

Boat: Princess 414 aft cabin version
Unsure if buy Lagoon 450/500 and FP Salina 48

Hi all.
Iv been reading a lot and searching about the Lagoon 450/500 and the Salina 48.Me and my partner and our 2 kids have a motor boat Princess 414 aft cabin version we have nothing against her except the thing when you decide to go for a trip first thing is fuel, so we are going to buy a catamaran. We sailed a catamaran for 6 weeks and it's fantastic.Can you pls tell me some more info about these cats. For a fact of designs exteriors I like the Fontaine pajot salina 48 in everything she has inside out on the other hand I like the Lagoon 450 although it's a bit boxy. My partner likes the Lagoon 450/500 alot but I'm not sure cause they are heavy how I read and here . I live in Malta an island in the middle of the med under sicily. We are going to live on the cat with 2 kids and hope that one day we travel to the carabien. Can you pls give me your opinion thank you alot love Sue.
SueJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 17:36   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Unsure if buy Lagoon 450/500 and FP Salina 48

Welcome aboard, Suejoe.

Check out Yachtworld.com to get an idea of prices. Choosing boats is an extremely personal deal, and the multihull folks will chime in with their preferences, and if you're lucky, they'll explain why they like what they do. Enjoy.

Ann
Old 18-01-2015, 00:13   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450

We were effectively cat shopping for 4 years while getting ready to go cruising with our 2 kids. Initially we were 100% sold on the FP's but over time the amount of bad stories regarding factory support, and our own observations took the shine off. After that we settled on the Leopard 46 as being the best blend of compromises regarding comfort and performance alas we had never actually been on one. Once we arrived in the US and started looking for "the boat" we immediately began viewing some L46's only to realise that wasn't the boat for us either. In the end we grudgingly had a look at a Lagoon 450 (we always said we'd never buy a Lagoon due to their ugly looks and lower performance). Shortly thereafter we bought a Lagoon 450! For us we couldn't go past the sheer space, comfort and safety. Also our last boat was a Beneteau Oceanis which comes out of the same factory with all the same components, we loved that boat and never had any issues since commissioning so we were quite confident that the builder just has everything sorted. I still don't like the look of the Lagoon 450 but the performance is surprisingly good and it just feels very solid and safe which is our first priority as a family boat. I'm a firm believer that once you've been over a boat you will immediately know if it's the right one for you.
Sandy Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 01:41   #4
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

We also looked for some time and settled on a Lagoon 450, no regrets she is a great cat for worldwide sailing and LIVING.

What ever you decide make sure you spec it out correctly as you will be spending a lot of time onboard and you don't want to live onboard with regrets...

Good luck 😃

TOT

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-01-2015, 08:03   #5

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

Take a tour of both factories and see how they are built, they are very close to each other.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 12:01   #6

Boat: FP Helia 44

You won't be able to buy a new Salina as it has been replaced by the Saba 50 a larger version of the Helia 44 . Good luck with the selection
Jeffrey Oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 21:52   #7
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
We also looked for some time and settled on a Lagoon 450, no regrets she is a great cat for worldwide sailing and LIVING.
Welcome to CF SueJoe!

We can echo TOT above, except that we ended up on a Lagoon 440.

After spending >4yrs looking and now with >20,000nm on our beloved CatNirvana, we understand and agree that every vessel choice involves compromise, but we struggle to see the compromises of our choice! For us the key factors were to (i) take our time in the search, including sailing on LOTS of vessels, and (ii) to prepare a fairly detailed list of our own priorities.

Good luck in your search!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon