Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2008, 16:11   #181

It's all a compromise! The plan for my boat has a virtual right-angled join between hull and deck, with around a 35mm radius on it done by a router. Certainly the easiest and quickest way to build it. And it actually looks better than you might think.

But I wanted a bit more of a curve - so (with Bob Oram's permission) I cut an 85mm radius from all the bulkheads and strip planked a 100mm OD curve into the join. So I had to rip 3 planks, about 45 feet long, tapered at the ends, then I had to use more epoxy to join them, more glass to cover them, I have to fair them on the outside (reasonably easy) and the inside (MUCH harder). It has increased the cost and weight of my boat, and probably added 200 - 300 hours to my build.

Is it worth it for a slight aesthetic improvement? TBH at this stage I'm not really sure.....
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 13:01   #182
cruiser

I'm going to attach my toerail to the (very strong) stanchions on my next boat, instead of molding them into the deck. I dislike the way that dirt collects when toerails have limited places where water can flow overboard.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 13:16   #183

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
I'm going to attach my toerail to the (very strong) stanchions on my next boat, instead of molding them into the deck. I dislike the way that dirt collects when toerails have limited places where water can flow overboard.

How are you going to attach the stanchions then? Bolt them to the deck? I want to minimise the number of holes through the deck as it means extra work inside, and a possibility for leaks.

Dirt collection is an issue, but mainly when tied up at a dock, out at sea, it often isn't an issue, unless sailing downwind from a desert.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 13:45   #184
cruiser

Hi, Alan

I am going to have solid handrails aluminum handrails, with 1.5" aluminum pipe (which is bigger than 1.5" tube.) I had these on my last boat, and vastly prefer them to the usual wobbly wires. Solid handrails enable stanchions to reinforce each other, and in my experience, don't leak. Mine will be bolted, though I completely sympathize with your desire to avoid as many bolt holes in the deck as possible.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote