Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-01-2010, 08:17   #106
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Racing X catamaran

...from a posting I did in 1996

I have a concept in mind for the catamaran situation, and it very definitely utilizes a 'full X' rather than the shallow ones on the Gitana tri and the old Elf Aquitaine cat.... just haven't taken the time to sketch it up.

I do not believe the trimaran configuration benefits from the X configuration in the same manner as does the catamaran simply because there is the benefit of the central hull structure already inherit in the tri layout. The cross span distances are greater in the cat than in the tri.

Now what if one could eliminate the need for the usual front bow crossbeam on the cat configuration...this beam that finds its way underwater on many occassions. And the center portion of the X crossbeam is even further aft still, than the crossbeams on the RACE cats that so often interferred with the waves. Might need a different rig as well

This 'racing design' might make use of an 'enlarged volume composite X beam' as both the structural member to connect the hulls, act as the mast base, and be the abreviated crews quarters in its central volume??

...more here:
X-Beam and the Giant - Boat Design Forums

Old 10-01-2010, 09:48   #107

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.
Thread title - Ultimate Cruising Trimaran....
Who needs carbon to go cruising? How often is any cruiser going to spend long periods of time at 15 knots + ? Or want to? Yeah, okay once in a while, but. Cruising speeds don't need carbon, just a bit of moderation in all things and the benefits of all the hydrodynamics and usage experience learnt over the first 60 years of modern multis.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:54   #108

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Wow that Pod cat looks awesome!
It also seems to closely resemble this cat...ROGNTUDJUU!
ROGNTUDJUUU For Sale - Cheap!
I can't figure out how to post pics of this boat, but here is a link to a thread about it here on this forum.
It seems like it would be an AWESOME platform to convert into a FAST world cruiser.
Old 10-01-2010, 23:10   #109

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Beiland, the Conser design shows very nice balance. The profile reminds me a lot of the Choy Cats. Nice find!

Solarbri, I swear I read (and saw pics) of a similar boat that was on it's
maiden voyage in Australia and on side just broke off. I cannot find it anywhere. Not that it would preclude me from appreciating the design. But that thing looks like it would be a handful sail wise. Being able to shorthand is high on my list.
Here is another pod cat I found from Kurt Hughes....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38catcmp.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	12516   Click image for larger version

Name:	38cmpcatpsp1.gif
Views:	162
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	12517  

Name:	38cmpcatpsp3.gif
Views:	151
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	12518   Click image for larger version

Name:	38cmpcatpsp4.gif
Views:	167
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	12519  

Name:	38CMPcatint.gif
Views:	259
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	12520  
Old 11-01-2010, 08:14   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ripples View Post
How often is any cruiser going to spend long periods of time at 15 knots + ? Or want to?
Umm, hmmm. Hey Jack, how fast did you get that old, smallish cruising tri of yours up to?

... about 11 knots wasn't it?

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:34   #111

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
Beiland, the Conser design shows very nice balance. The profile reminds me a lot of the Choy Cats. Nice find!

Solarbri, I swear I read (and saw pics) of a similar boat that was on it's
maiden voyage in Australia and on side just broke off. I cannot find it anywhere. Not that it would preclude me from appreciating the design. But that thing looks like it would be a handful sail wise. Being able to shorthand is high on my list.
Here is another pod cat I found from Kurt Hughes....

All these "podcats" look really HOT.
However, what kind of headroom are we looking at?
If it is somewhere between 6' and 7',then don't they have the same issues as far as windage, boom height off the water, and bridgedeck slamming as a more "traditional" cat?
The only real difference I can see is that there is no access down into the hulls from the bridgedeck cabin (or pod).
Old 11-01-2010, 09:40   #112
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
Wow that Pod cat looks awesome!
It also seems to closely resemble this cat...ROGNTUDJUU!
ROGNTUDJUUU For Sale - Cheap!
I can't figure out how to post pics of this boat, but here is a link to a thread about it here on this forum.
It seems like it would be an AWESOME platform to convert into a FAST world cruiser.
Here I posted a photo for you. They have Lock Crowther listed as the designer, but I think it may have been a fellow designer in his office Can't recall his name at the moment...senior moment.

I believe there were several boats built to a similar design for racing...one in the USA up on the Great Lakes...another senior moment.

This sure looks to fit your requirements for the vessel you were seeking as an alternative to the trimaran....an existing design and existing vessel...but still expensive at discounted price as result of hi-tech material construction. I'm looking back at cold-molded, epoxy saturated wood construction more and more with this modern pricing on oil based composites.

You might find a few of my nacelle postings of interest that I added to that other subject thread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ROGNTUD-JUUU.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	12531  
Old 11-01-2010, 10:33   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Umm, hmmm. Hey Jack, how fast did you get that old, smallish cruising tri of yours up to?

... about 11 knots wasn't it?

Maren, if you are referring to my 34' Searunner, by golly we hit 14.4 kts. one afternoon while "cruising" with the Latitude 38 crowd between island anchorages. Steady 11's and a little better. It was a surfing condition (my favorite) and I have yet to get the boat in open ocean swell to bump it up. I think a boat like this will go pretty good and IN CONTROL in a surfing situation. As long as it is good conditions, let er' rip.

With Maren in mind I would like to introduce one of my all time favorite

boats. I believe he is about to get one similar to this.

Beiland I am sure you know these are CC boats. Just killer designs.

This is listed as a 46'. I thought they were 44'.

Boats for Sale - Yachts for Sale - Used & New Boats @ Yacht Hub Australia & New Zealand

They were designed to be either center cockpit Searunner style, or like

this with shorter cockpit and aft cabin. There is another very nice example

here (not great of pics though):

Welcome to Sunner.us

And a very good site and beautiful build is here:

Rikki-tikki-taviā€™s Construction

I had heard that they wanted to put Rikki Tivi in the PT wooden boat

show, and the folks who run things did not think it was a wood boat

These boats are very high on my favorite list of boats. John Marples is very smart and has a ton of experience both ocean racing and cruising in trimarans. I would take any one of these boats most anywhere (except maybe the high latitudes)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1_3.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	12532   Click image for larger version

Name:	5_3.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	12533  

Old 11-01-2010, 17:20   #114

I came upon a real "find" today. This is a site of the never ending voyage. There is english and dutch versions I think.

Never Ending Journey

The guy bought Chris Whites 54' Juniper, and has put some serious miles on it, as well as loosing a mast. The gallery on the right will show you many photos.
It caught my eye when I saw this photo....and I thought, man that looks like a CW 54'. Sure enough it was THE CW 54'
I have a lot of photos of the CW Juniper II by the name of Carissa. It was a beauty also.

http://www.sailorsforsailors.com/index.php

Is a good site, has dismasting video among others
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fotofeb2008__Medium_.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	12541  
Old 11-01-2010, 18:19   #115
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
I came upon a real "find" today. This is a site of the never ending voyage. There is English and dutch versions I think.

Never Ending Journey
Interesting find Jmolan. I tried following some links and goggling his previous catamarans and ran into this:
Custom

I don't recall this vessel Zeeman or C1000, but it tends towards that theme I expressed above about the X-beamed cat where the accommodations would be contained in the 'voluminous' beams themselves.

"The ZEEMAN is a 60 ft cat. The boat was designed 1990. Henk de Velde was sailing this boat twice non stop around the world. After a collision with a freighter almost at the finish of the first time, the boat was lengthened to 22 m. With the new sponsor he was trying for a second time to break the solo non stop around the world record. He missed by some hours. The hulls are strip planking constructions. The beams a plywood/carbon/glass composite. The weight of the 60 ft version was 5400 kg.

Following the 60' was a 71' named C1000. "The C 1000 is still sailing in the Netherlands"

PS: I went ahead and reproduced a few of the portions of that referenced website here, as it may disappear just as some portions of the site have already.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Zeeman 60.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	12542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeema3.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	12544  

Attached Images

Old 11-01-2010, 18:35   #116

Yes, actually that is what I was searching for, a good shot of Zeeman, as I had recalled it was a pod cat. Very cool boat, looks heck for tough to me. I can only imagine the money saved if you stayed true to build a long lean pod cat. It was the way Chris White originally built Juniper. Huge gains in performance and stability by having the longer waterline and beam. And being able to carry a great amount of sail. He launched with no engine, and sailed engine less for a few years. His idea was, launch, and add a new goody every year as you can afford it. But get the base boat into the water.
Old 11-01-2010, 18:44   #117
Marine Service Provider

Wahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Here I posted a photo for you. They have Lock Crowther listed as the designer, but I think it may have been a fellow designer in his office Can't recall his name at the moment...senior moment.

I believe there were several boats built to a similar design for racing...one in the USA up on the Great Lakes...another senior moment.
The designer's named is Stuart Bloomfield. The vessel was a 50 footer called Wahoo. This Wahoo should not be confused with the original one designed by Lock Crowther himself. Stuart also produced a boat called Raw Nerve.

Here is the Wahoo raced up in the great lakes:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wahoo_2005_post_race-773949.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	12545  
Old 11-01-2010, 21:15   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
[QUOTE=Jmolan;386985]... by golly we hit 14.4 kts. one afternoon while "cruising" with the Latitude 38 crowd between island anchorages. Steady 11's and a little better.

Let's take the lower to keep with the Steve's 'who really wants to go 15 knots for long time anyway' point. Did you feel you were under any particular stress sailing at 11 knots? Oh and how much carbon?

Quote:
I think a boat like this will go pretty good and IN CONTROL in a surfing situation. As long as it is good conditions, let er' rip.
Me too. I also think your skills from the Bering sea help ... just a bit

Quote:
This is listed as a 46'. I thought they were 44'.
The Rikki is a 40CC and is the standard I would like to achieve. Sunner ... makes me think I may be missing a few sheets with small cockpit and the mast out of the cockpit. The one of sale in Australia is also a bit odd. But hell, it's wood you could put figureheads on the amas and still be fine.

Or you could cut it into thirds ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	getting prepped.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	12548   Click image for larger version

Name:	picking up one dirty, dirty girl.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	12549  

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 21:20   #119

sailorsforsailors.com - marina info and cruising stories for all sailors in the world

sailorsforsailors.com - marina info and cruising stories for all sailors in the world

This came under "About Henk" A lot of good shots of Juniper. Looks like the same links, but they are not.

Maren so you have a 40' Center cockpit model...cool

why is it all blue and looks like it is covered with snow.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:30   #120

Boat: Ex liveaboard, now grounded.
Hey, Maren, brilliant! Glad you seem to have solved your problem with land pirates. Didn't quite understand what happened to you there, but sounds like it was a nightmare. So, can I ask how you're going to tackle the structural problem of the crossbeams? She looks very weathered (how long was she just sitting there?), so are there freshwater leaks into the structure? Good luck with it, great boat in the making.

Tags
trimaran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: