Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2012, 15:06   #151
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Re: Ultimate Trimaran Cruising Boat (IMHO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaPops View Post
There's another Liahona on the east coast US - in yacht world, without the built in dodger.

1987 Custom Simpson Liahona trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
This is still for sale? It really looks horrid from the back and has a small cockpit. I guess you could cure both problems by turning the aft cabin into more cockpit? I still think its the best bargain I have seen in a while and I would have considered it if it was on the west coast.

As for cruising tris in general. I love the idea and would have one designed and built for me if money was no object. It seems like many people in this thread are very keen on super fast tris with next to no cruising luxuries. But why does it have to be all or nothing?

What would be wrong with a tri that has decent space and comfort if its still much faster and more fun to sail than a cat? For my requirements to be met it would have to have similar space and comfort to a mono (IE less than a cat), but be faster and sail better than a roomaran.

I think the hideous Neel meets these requirements but its just too ugly and I think it has gone overboard with cramming stuff inside. I think if they designed a nicer looking cabin structure and better cockpit it might be a nice boat. They claim an average of 10K over an Atlantic crossing. That appears to be about twice as fast as what most roomaran owners I have met claim their boats sail at on average.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 07:54   #152

For me, the ultimate trimaran cruising boat would be a 15m Dragonfly. I realize that Quorning Boats do not make anything quite that large, but perhaps someday they might.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 08:35   #153
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

That would be an awesome boat indeed. Cost would be around 1.2M! I'm trying so hard to find my ultimate dream boat to build one day. I want it to be a tri but I keep coming back to a ULDB for cost reasons Just need to win the lotto. But I guess that will never happen either since I don't play
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 02:26   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Just need to win the lotto. But I guess that will never happen either since I don't play
Lotto is a tax on people who don't understand maths.
Old 20-12-2012, 06:47   #155

My 38' Harris and 41' Condor are the two best deals in the US at $25 for 1/3 partnership, your location. Both boats have over $20k spent on them in the last 500 miles. multihuler@aol.com

multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 07:12   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihuler View Post
My 38' Harris and 41' Condor are the two best deals in the US at $25 for 1/3 partnership, your location.
Might that be twenty-five thousand dollars, not twenty-five dollars?
Old 20-12-2012, 07:15   #157

Boat: Haida 26

Nice video, where was this taken? Your Cross looks great.. Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 07:37   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihuler View Post
My 38' Harris and 41' Condor are the two best deals in the US at $25k for 1/3 partnership, your location. Both boats have over $20k spent on them in the last 500 miles. multihuler@aol.com

$25k buy-in and will include a buy-out both ways,east coast/Bahamas
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 09:17   #159

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
For me, the ultimate trimaran cruising boat would be a 15m Dragonfly. I realize that Quorning Boats do not make anything quite that large, but perhaps someday they might.
This one folds;
Home | UltraLuxum Yachting - So different, exceptional and luxurious yacht design

It is a bit bigger then 15m...

Dragonfly needs to build quite a few boats to breakeven,I believe that the B/E point for the 1200 was some 15 units;
http://www.dragonfly.dk/pdf-archive/...4-2000_ger.pdf

do not know whether you read German but is says so on page 1;

"Immerhin......Schiff"

perhaps in a different(better economic) time we'll see the Dragonfly 50,btw my dreamboat is a Dragonfly 60 with 2 masts("Beowulf style rig" from Steve Dashew)

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 09:35   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ77 View Post
Too big for me! If I bought that, I wouldn't have any money left over to feed all the Russian bow babes who would accumulate like barnacles all over the deck.

Quote:
Dragonfly needs to build quite a few boats to breakeven,I believe that the B/E point for the 1200 was some 15 units
I'm surprised the amortization number is only 15. That gives me hope for a Dragonfly 50. :-)

Quote:
do not know whether you read German
I do, with difficulty. I'll read that article. Thanks!

Quote:
perhaps in a different(better economic) time we'll see the Dragonfly 50,btw my dreamboat is a Dragonfly 60 with 2 masts("Beowulf style rig" from Steve Dashew)
Good luck with that! ;-)
Old 21-12-2012, 04:12   #161

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I like the Contour 50. Demountable and you can put the entire boat on one big rig truck if you need to get from one coast to the other in the US. Pretty fast, too!
Old 20-09-2015, 08:01   #162

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
Trimaran Buddy.... John Patterson Design...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ripples View Post
... Designer John Patterson, apparently working on another, larger design, 50 something whereas Buddy is 44'.
Beautiful lines... I fell over the pics you have shown in this forum Trimaran Buddy...

Steve (or anybody else here knowing the answer): Do you know what happened with this boat ???
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 09:42   #163

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Keep an eye to future releases from Dragonfly. I'm sure anything they do will be impressive. I love my Dragonfly 1200, but don't see myself going larger mainly due to $ constraints and maintenance.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 14:30   #164

Boat: 1993 Horstman Tristar trimaran, 46'

I bought my first trimaran recently. A very beautifully built 45'4" Horstman tristar. I read on a lot of forums how many don't like the look of a Horstman, and how they're more like "room-a-rans". That's fine by me. Keeps the prices below market for a given boat of comparable size in volume.

My Horstman Tristar has a 20+ yr solid cruising track record and built by a very intelligent man who just thought of just of everything needed for extended cruising. That was important to me because I wanted a boat that had been put to the test. I spent 6 years looking for the right trimaran. I found many and flew all over the world to view them but one requirement was a tri with a foam core and those are hard to find so I could never really find the right one. This one is foam sandwich and includes an extended pilot house hard top over the wings, which almost no Horstmans have. That translates to dry (and flat) sailing no matter the conditions, and also allows for 8 solar panels (mounted to the hardtop roof) and two wind generators (mounted to the adjacent hard top aluminum framing) for total energy autonomy.

The only thing I added was a bow thruster but that was only because my boat slip is a super tight fit and any prevailing wind makes the exercise of getting docked too risky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd Tri at anchor.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	119985  
captaingregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 12:41   #165

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Curious why there was not any mention of John Marples work? His CC boats seem to fit the bill for a good compromise cruising tri. His designs seem to fit the bill for seaworthy tris with good load carrying and a descent turn of speed.

Forgive me if it was mentioned and I missed it. Skimmed through the thread fairly quickly.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran