Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-01-2012, 14:52   #136

Re: Ultimate Trimaran Cruising Boat (IMHO)

Ran across this tri the other day - think I'm in love with this boat. Simpson Lahaina -

CRUISING TRIMARAN - TEVAKE FOR SALE - VIRTUAL TOUR

It would tick off all of my needs - protected cockpit, sail-ability, berthing for 4 adults and 2 kids.

Given I had sort of settled on a Seawind 1000 as the boat for me ( and it's still a strong contender, newer, plenty of space, outboards) the long legs of the simpson have got to provide a better sailing feel, no?

Not thrilled about the greater maintenance and storage costs however, so need to think through that.

Old 16-01-2012, 19:30   #137
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Aft Mast Alternative on Big Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
As I think about a bigger boat, I see my mainsail is 215 Sq. Ft.!! So nice and easy to handle.

Compare that with Estarzingers 45' Monohull "Hawk". In one of the very well written articles he talks about the mainsail is 750 Sq. Ft.....!!!!!

Wonder how big the main is on Virgin Fire? Or on the Newick Traveller, or the Chris White Hammerhead? How big of a main can one man take care of? It has many factors involved I am sure. But I do know from experience, if it not easy, or handy to do, I will delay doing it. Or avoid doing it.
So, for me, being able to take care of the sails and anchors by my self would be a huge deciding factor.
...I was just going back rereading this subject thread, and a few postings jumped out at me....so I thought I might add a few replies that I've posted in the past on another forum,... before joining this one.

Aft Mast Alternative on Big Trimaran

Several years ago I was asked by a gentleman to come have a look at a big Kurt Hughes trimaran he was building, a 63 footer he had stretched to 65, if I remember correctly. He was VERY concerned about handling that big mainsail on that big sloop rig.

I spent a week as his guess at his home, and in the huge building shed outback he had erected to build this ultimate retirement vessel for himself, his wife and his kids. He is of Romanian decent, and has that Italian flare for home wine making (and drinking). Needless to say we had LOTS of fun drinking all sorts of home brewed wines and talking boats.

Here is what I came up with as a solution for him in the context of my mast aft theme. Please realize I was restricted by the existing structure of the vessel that was already well under way in construction...i.e., bulkhead placements, crossbeams, etc, etc.

There was one other nagging question he had, that needed to be taken into account....what if the fwd leaning mast idea would not work?? This persisted to be such a big question in his mind that I had to give considerations as to how my mast aft design could be converted back to a more standard rig configuration without a great deal of expense, and/or trouble to him.

I still chose an 'all-3 sails-furling' arrangement....my single-masted ketch concept. But I made the mast rake almost half (6 degrees) of the original design. And the mizzen sail was made a bit larger in proportion. Thus this rig could be converted to a straight standing cutter rig with the mizzen becoming a more traditional mainsail attached to the aft edge of the mast. Or a new larger mainsail could be constructed for the mast that could be extended upward (taller), but still stepped in same location. The cutter jibs would then both be fractional, but would not require modification.

Over all I sought to give him the same total sail area as the original design by Kurt Hughes. This was approx 1900 sq ft. BUT notice what happened to the mast height on these two versions !! The original sloop rig carried a 92' high rig. My rig carries that same sail area on a 73.5 foot mast !

With this significant reduction in the rig height and the 'all-furling' feature, I imagine this gentleman will be able to handle this rig without a lot of additional assistance, and he may well be able to SAFELY sail into higher wind conditions without as much fear of being overpowered....his sailing efficiency should be improved.

I had two options for the lower backstays here...1) anchored to the aft crossbeam ends (at a 13 degree angle to the mast), or 2) anchored to the ama hull ends (at a 20 degree angle). Both of these backstay angles are better than my original design, thus even less loading reqired of these backstays to offset the inner forestay loads.

I felt this shorter rig could justify a slightly shorter daggerboard, and we opted to move that daggerboard slightly forward to both be in a better balance with the new sail plan, and to better fit in with a saloon modification he had already planned.

To my knowledge at this time he is still thinking about his final rig design options, and his boat building processes have been put into a holding pattern while he attends to converting that original building shop into a multiple house dwelling. He then intends to build an even bigger shed to complete final assembly of this very big beamy trimaran. I'm not sure if he will chose my mast aft option, but I would be willing to place bets on it being a very good one for his needs.

[NOTE: The second aftmast sketch represents a more current modification of the masthead attachment of its backstay, and the ama anchoring of the lower backstay(s). These are just suggested options to the original sketch, and certainly not final ideas]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kurt%20Hughes%2063%20Tri.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	36092   Click image for larger version

Name:	AftMast%2063%20Tri.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	36093  

Name:	AftMast%2063%20mod.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	36094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0271.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	36095  

Old 16-01-2012, 19:35   #138
Marine Service Provider

TEVAKE tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaPops View Post
Ran across this tri the other day - think I'm in love with this boat. Simpson Lahaina -

It would tick off all of my needs - protected cockpit, sail-ability, berthing for 4 adults and 2 kids.
I think that is a nice looking vessel that has been well thought out, and taken care of.
Old 16-01-2012, 19:41   #139
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I have a friend who has a 44' cat that does not have the same accomodations as other cats. It is my favorite Cruising Cat...:-)

Name:	P4040102, small.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	36099

Pure Sailing boat.
That vessel reminds me of some Crowther cats, specifically one called Vehia I believe. I'll have to do some searching thru some old files to find a photo/drawing.
Old 16-01-2012, 20:38   #140

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Very Crowther spindrift

Old 16-01-2012, 20:41   #141

Quote:

Interesting
I thought Roger told me there was only one built and he built it.
Old 16-01-2012, 20:45   #142

Quote:
I have a friend who has a 44' cat that does not have the same accomidations as other cats. It is my favorite Cruising Cat.....:-)
Why?

Quote:
Pure Sailing boat.
again, why?

Something like Formula 40 is pure sailing boat

Old 16-01-2012, 21:34   #143

There's another Liahona on the east coast US - in yacht world, without the built in dodger.

1987 Custom Simpson Liahona trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 17-01-2012, 00:44   #144

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Why?

again, why?

Something like Formula 40 is pure sailing boat

Guess I should have said this boat has refrigeration, bunks, and a 2 burner stove. Carries the largest Fortress anchor made, a real 13' rowing skiff, It provides accommodations and amazing sailing performance. Has been singlehanded from Victoria Canada to Baja more times than I can count. Is home and fun for the owner designer.

The thread title is for a cruising trimaran boat.

I would have thought you would use a new America's cup cat if you were going to raise the bar on the definition of pure sailing boat?
Old 17-01-2012, 00:47   #145

Quote:
There's another Liahona on the east coast US - in yacht world, without the built in dodger.

1987 Custom Simpson Liahona trimaran Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Interesting
Thanks for that
Old 17-01-2012, 00:54   #146

Quote:
Guess I should have said this boat has refrigeration, bunks, and a 2 burner stove. Carries the largest Fortress anchor made, a real 13' rowing skiff, It provides accommodations
As do or at least can most cats of that size

Quote:
and amazing sailing performance.
Not a spindrift then

Quote:
Has been singlehanded from Victoria Canada to Baja more times than I can count. Is home and fun for the owner designer.
Again, many vessels can fit in that category, surely there is something else that makes it your favourite Cruising Cat

Quote:
The thread title is for a cruising trimaran boat.
That it is but you put up a pic of a cat so I thought we were talking cats

Quote:
I would have thought you would use a new America's cup cat if you were going to raise the bar on the definition of pure sailing boat?
I just picked a 2hulls of similar length to your picture but with no accoms.
A "pure sailing" machine
Old 17-01-2012, 02:08   #147
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Interesting
I thought Roger told me there was only one built and he built it.
I kn ow of at least two, Skewiff and the original Liahona
Old 17-01-2012, 03:20   #148
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
That vessel reminds me of some Crowther cats, specifically one called Vehia I believe. I'll have to do some searching thru some old files to find a photo/drawing.
I'm not near my files (over visiting Thailand), so I had to look on internet to find only a few references,...and none of those are the original dwgs of that vessel. The original vessel had such great lines, but there has been quite a bit modifications made for charter work....but never had big accomodations.
http://www.vehiatetiaroa.com/

The original Vehia was the vessel Richard Postma sailed to French Polynesia and after finding her a bit small for chartering and fishing he had the 50' Tara Vana built
RunningTideYachts, Ltd. - Archives
Old 17-01-2012, 10:11   #149

Quote:
Interesting
Thanks for that
Any first hand info on the Liahona design? Family sailability?
Old 17-01-2012, 14:03   #150

Boat: Haida 26

Cool stuff here, keep it coming. Really like the video's.........Michael..

Tags
trimaran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: