Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2012, 02:20   #1

UAE Delivery

My wife and i are currently looking to buy a Lagoon 400, however, being in the Middle East, the market is pretty poor. I was hoping some of you could give me some idea how much it would cost for a delivery by a qualified captain. We are trying yo source a cat from either Thailand or the Med. Any ideas on the best way to move forward would be appreciated.
Cheers
davidkaleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 09:30   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: UAE Delivery

I'll jump in with data I've gathered here and elsewhere. Delivery starts at around $225 per day and up. You will also be paying expenses such as airfare, fuel, food, repairs, weather delays, etc. Figure around a 150 miles per day and do the math. Not many yachts doing the Red Sea route so that means all the way around Africa from the Med and swinging wide of Somalia. That would be at least a 3 month trip. Really expensive. SE Asia looks alot more attractive for this reason. There are quite a few cats and builders in South Africa so that would also be a good shopping area. Good Luck
Old 31-03-2012, 10:15   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

Delivery prices vary pretty wildly. If your boat goes via any troublesome areas you will need a responsible skipper and the delivery may be more expensive than an easy tradewinds stunt. Your best bet to arrive at a fair estimate is to ask DETAILED quotes from selected skippers. Then you can compare the quotes with ship freight cost.

Here you have two real life 2011/2012 examples of delivery prices (paid, not asked), one was an easy sail, the other a bit more intricate case:

a) 40 ' the EU to West Indies - USD 3.5k,

b) 60' Australia to the EU - USD 25k,

Both cases are ex boat costs (marinas, fuel, repairs, etc.). The West Indies crew got tickets back home (to the EU) paid by the owner.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 14:26   #4

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

A couple of years ago I took a 45 ft Cat from Langkawi to Abu Dhabi. From memory I charged $6k plus all expenses. We had some issues along the way and it took longer than expected, I'd probably go a little higher next time.

Getting to the Straits of Hormuz these days is a bit trickier as the Somali pirates are moving further afield, note the VOR boats being shipped in. Have you investigated the shipping option?

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery