Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2009, 11:28   #1

Twin Screw Sportfish to Cat?

Hello - Great forum... Kinda new here.. Long time lurker

I have been on the water for over 35 years and have 20 years experience operating 25ft-40ft sportfish vessels in Florida and the Bahamas...

I also sail with a friend on his 31 Catalina on a regular basis.... While I consider myself a learning sailor I am still low on the learning curve when it comes to understanding sailing terminology, sail management and most importantly - Bluewater sailing....

How hard would it be to transition into a Cat.... Say a 44 Antares or similar Privilege ... Under power I assume no issues at all?

Thanks in advance....

NNN
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 13:56   #2

Guess with the lack of responses it should not be a problem...

I am going to run out and buy a 66 Gunboat...

If you see me coming - move over....

Old 24-11-2009, 14:21   #3

The cat will be a lot less manageable around the dock etc, due to minimal power and windage. But once you get used to it you should like it fine. You will no longer be rolling and have plenty of room like your sportfish. Also, you wont spend anything on fuel!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 14:23   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
From twin based power to twin catamaran, under power, no problem. They behave very similarly. Not enough difference to unnerve you. The most challenging part, under power, is docking. But I am guessing you already are comfortable with that.

Under sail, have you had any sailing experience? If you have, no worries then. If you have not, I'd suggest sailing with someone that does. They can show you the ropes! (yes, that was supposed to be a VERY bad pun. We all know there are no ropes aboard ships!) Other than that, you just have to remember to reduce sail just when you're getting to decent speeds (First reef at 25 kts or so).

44 foot, okay. 66 foot! Big boat! But that's only psychology and the fact you need to react sooner cause every thing takes longer. Some slightly different rules cause you're over 13 meters, but that's mostly equipment and lights.

Good luck.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 14:29   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
Hmm.. I had a fishing tower and outriggers on my sport fish. The windage was not trivial in that boat. Most sailboats I have been on have had less. My 30 foot Tiara was very similar, windage wise to my 39 foot Privilege. The current effect is far more pronounced on the cat. Perhaps that'd due to the extra length?
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2009, 14:32   #6

Thanks guys.. I just wanted to stir the pot a bit to get some responses.... I recently sold a 31 Tiara with tower - So I am used to a bit of "windage"...

I wont get anything over a 50... I can sail a bit - and will ramp up the instruction as I get closer to purchase...

Thanks again.....

NNN
Old 28-11-2009, 12:49   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
...have 20 years experience operating 25ft-40ft sportfish
How much interest do you have in continuing fishing? There are a couple South African cats that look like they were built for fishing. Others look like you might be able to manage but fishing was probably the last thing on the designer's mind. Some look impossible.

I'd like to meet the guy who can handle a cat under sail with a 400 Lb marlin on the line... With twin screws and the wide separation between wheels, you can spin many in their own LWL.
billgow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 12:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgow View Post
How much interest do you have in continuing fishing? There are a couple South African cats that look like they were built for fishing. Others look like you might be able to manage but fishing was probably the last thing on the designer's mind. Some look impossible.

I'd like to meet the guy who can handle a cat under sail with a 400 Lb marlin on the line... With twin screws and the wide separation between wheels, you can spin many in their own LWL.

Doubt I would actually go out to "fish" but would certainly drag bait on my way to each destination....... How about some outriggers - that would be some spread with 10 rods
Old 30-11-2009, 12:28   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
How hard would it be to transition into a Cat
Given that most all the really hard things you already know I think it is easy to change boats. What will be hardest is the lack of power you will lose. Current and wind are proportionally stronger than your other boats. You need to anticipate farther ahead than you did before, but you have more time to do it too.

Given you can focus on basic sailing your prior experience should get you cruising a lot faster. The really hard things you don't learn without some years on the water and you already have a fair amount. The sea is still as you know it to be so all will be familiar surroundings.

Your sailing skills will continue to improve a long time once you get the basics. It just takes time to experience all the points of sail under all the conditions and get comfortable. It's still just mostly a lot of work. All boats share that joy.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote