Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 14:56   #1

Boat: None
TS42 Catamaran designed by Christophe Barreau

Researching the new TS42 (very ...) fast cruising catamaran designed by Christophe Barreau and built by Marsaudon Composites in Lorient W France - it's new autumn 2014 - very little to be found at the moment still, mostly in French. This thing is fast ..... I like the design - one big saloon that is both inside and outside, cleverer than one saloon inside and another outside.

Catamaran TS42 - Chantiers Marsaudon Composites
Catamaran TS42 - Chantiers Marsaudon Composites drawings, interior layout, base price is hidden away at the very end of the pdf "le descriptif", then add the options as per the pdf on the options

polar diagram - not on website .... but do see attached .... spectacular !!!

video:
good vid of La Grande Motte boatshow, inside and outside but not showing the mysterious starboard hull
TS 42 : le Pogo du cata...

of the launch .... not very exciting Lorient. Un catamaran de croisière rapide accessible à tous - Vidéo Dailymotion

and it's going to the Carribean so you can charter it or its bigger brother TS50 with Régis Guillemot Charter, Location de catamarans aux Antilles avec ou sans skipper : TS 42

Do let me know if y'all find more info or vids
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TS42 Polars diagrams - carbon mast.pdf (294.0 KB, 716 views)
brainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 20:54   #2

Re: TS42 Catamaran designed by Christophe Barreau

The 1.6 metre fixed draught writes it off for me. It should have proper daggerboards. Those keels look very vulnerable too, and certainly don't look like they could work for beaching the boat.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 06:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The 1.6 metre fixed draught writes it off for me. It should have proper daggerboards. Those keels look very vulnerable too, and certainly don't look like they could work for beaching the boat.
Carbon dagger boards are optional at 9.930 €.. as well as carbon mast..
Very nice boat and good price..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 07:56   #4

Boat: Monk 36

Tillers? I'm getting too old for that steering system. Give me a nice wheel and I'm happy.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 09:11   #5

French press release indicates that the boat is very fast for normal sailors ( light disp. 5.8 tons, max disp. 7.7 tons ) but the open in/out saloon allows the use of the boat by "sailors with reduced mobility" ( read saloon allows wheelchair to move around and use tillers )

4 boats have been ordered with the first one "imagine" delivered to the charter company mentioned above. ( and available for charter )

Base price is 300k euros ( no electronics etc) , carbon mast and forward carbon cross option is 50k and allows a staysail and 10 sq m more in gennaker.

Mast is 17.6 meters, Solent 34.4sq m, staysail (requires carbon mast) 15 sq m, main sail 56.2 sq m, gennaker 80 sq m (70 if aluminum mast)

Architect is C.Barreau who is also behind the Outremer 45.

French press compares the boat to the Pogo monohull, in terms if basic in its accommodation (I.e.not luxurious) but very fast and race oriented equipment,

C.Barreau is known for using textile furniture to save weight in the TS50. This time, for the TS40 the saloon floor is directly the molded surface with an anti skid .( I.e. No wooden floor).

Cheers.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Kowloon Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 09:21   #6

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowloon Breeze View Post
Architect is C.Barreau who is also behind the Outremer 45.
...and who had a long relationship with Catana.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 15:00   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowloon Breeze View Post
French press release indicates that the boat is very fast for normal sailors ( light disp. 5.8 tons, max disp. 7.7 tons )
Payload.. Every time I look for a fast cat, I struggle with this problem unless you go over 55 ft water length..
This 42 ft can only carry 1,9 tons which is very little unless you just want to use it for racing or day sailing.
Assuming that the numbers are accurate (they seldom are..), add 300-400 kg of water, 400-500 kg of fuel, a dingy and small outboard, couple of spare sails and parts, water maker, a small genset, provisioning for couple of weeks.. What is left ??
One should also take into account that, even if you stay within this limit, because of the slim hull shape, every kg that you put will increase the wetted surface significantly and as matter of fact, you will lose quite a bit out of the performance of the boat that you were looking for at the beginning..
Again because of the hull shape, yr bed will be tiny and yet quite high in the galley (to be put to the largest part of the hull) and you will have to make couple of steps to climb and roll over it..

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 14-02-2015, 10:08   #8

Boat: NEEL 45 #1

it s not a liveaboard it s a fun , fast catamaran..on teh ts 52 you can probably live aboard but not the same price and still very little room...for a 50...you can't have it cheap roomy and fast ...just not possible
beauris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 10:17   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauris View Post
it s not a liveaboard it s a fun , fast catamaran..on teh ts 52 you can probably live aboard but not the same price and still very little room...for a 50...you can't have it cheap roomy and fast ...just not possible
And it looks like a large Hobie Cat. Not something however you can right,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 12:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
Carbon dagger boards are optional at 9.930 €.. as well as carbon mast..
Very nice boat and good price..

Cheers

Yeloya
Wow, that's expensive. Do they come with kick up rudders and retractable drives too?
Old 14-02-2015, 12:48   #11

Quote:
Payload.. Every time I look for a fast cat, I struggle with this problem unless you go over 55 ft water length..
This 42 ft can only carry 1,9 tons which is very little unless you just want to use it for racing or day sailing.
Assuming that the numbers are accurate (they seldom are..), add 300-400 kg of water, 400-500 kg of fuel, a dingy and small outboard, couple of spare sails and parts, water maker, a small genset, provisioning for couple of weeks.. What is left ??
One should also take into account that, even if you stay within this limit, because of the slim hull shape, every kg that you put will increase the wetted surface significantly and as matter of fact, you will lose quite a bit out of the performance of the boat that you were looking for at the beginning..
Again because of the hull shape, yr bed will be tiny and yet quite high in the galley (to be put to the largest part of the hull) and you will have to make couple of steps to climb and roll over it..

Cheers

Yeloya
We live aboard full-time, and seem to manage carrying probably less payload than that. We have 400 litres water capacity, but seldom fill the tanks, as we have a watermaker. A 3.5 metre RIB and 18 horsepower engine, washing machine, breadmaker, fridge, freezer, etc etc etc...

Slim hulls, yes, ours are 12.5 : 1, but we still have 3 full queen size berths, although you do have to climb some steps to get into them. And even though we have lost some performance compared to lightship, we're still faster than most, especially in light wind conditions.

The "logic" of starting out with a slow boat, so it doesn't get much slower when you load it seems weird to me.
Old 14-02-2015, 16:20   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
We live aboard full-time, and seem to manage carrying probably less payload than that. We have 400 litres water capacity, but seldom fill the tanks, as we have a watermaker. A 3.5 metre RIB and 18 horsepower engine, washing machine, breadmaker, fridge, freezer, etc etc etc...

Slim hulls, yes, ours are 12.5 : 1, but we still have 3 full queen size berths, although you do have to climb some steps to get into them. And even though we have lost some performance compared to lightship, we're still faster than most, especially in light wind conditions.

The "logic" of starting out with a slow boat, so it doesn't get much slower when you load it seems weird to me.
If you really carry less than 1.900 kg as a full time live aboard, you really are an exception. Where are yr diving gears, genset, A/C, BBQ, LPG bottles, fishing gear, spare alternator/start engine, filters, oil, extra fuel for long passage, very long chain and heaviest possible anchor, secondary anchor, solar panels, wind generator, large bank of service batteries, plenty of rope/lines, tool box, etc ? These are common staff I see on most of the live aboard boats. Breadmaker or toaster doesn't really weight much..
With hulls 12,5:1 , you will certainly be fast, no doubt. But when you say that you have a 3 full queen size bed, either yr understanding of "full queen size" is different than mine (or generally accepted standards) or yr boat is at least 65 ft or more..
(Queen bed size in US standards is 80"X60", 60"X12,5=19 meter if the beds are installed at the largest part of the hull ???)

Just by curiosity, what boat are you sailing ?

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 14-02-2015, 16:43   #13

"These are common staff I see on most of the live aboard boats"

I think the staff might be the difference?
Old 14-02-2015, 19:20   #14
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
If you really carry less than 1.900 kg as a full time live aboard, you really are an exception. Where are yr diving gears, genset, A/C, BBQ, LPG bottles, fishing gear, spare alternator/start engine, filters, oil, extra fuel for long passage, very long chain and heaviest possible anchor, secondary anchor, solar panels, wind generator, large bank of service batteries, plenty of rope/lines, tool box, etc ? These are common staff I see on most of the live aboard boats. Breadmaker or toaster doesn't really weight much..
With hulls 12,5:1 , you will certainly be fast, no doubt. But when you say that you have a 3 full queen size bed, either yr understanding of "full queen size" is different than mine (or generally accepted standards) or yr boat is at least 65 ft or more..
(Queen bed size in US standards is 80"X60", 60"X12,5=19 meter if the beds are installed at the largest part of the hull ???)

Just by curiosity, what boat are you sailing ?

Cheers

Yeloya

Maybe his bunks are on the bridge deck? We have a 36' cat with two Queen sized bunks and a large double and our hulls are about 11.5:1
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 20:11   #15

The charter company who bought the first boat ( and I assume hull #2 ) participated actively in the design.

They are operating in the West Indies, Where charters clients usually come with few worldly possession but a great appetite for fun. And assuming day time island hoping, the boat will definitely get you faster to the next anchorage ( bar?). Same would probably apply to Greece cruising zone or west of France coastal cruising.

Paradoxically, charterers spend more time sailing ( on a ratio basis) than long term live aboard. So load requirements and fast/fun sailing requirements may be different at least in the eyes of the charter cos.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Kowloon Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran