Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2016, 11:12   #1

Boat: Lagoon 420
Trying to find Max Davit Load on 2009 Lagoon 420

Hey gang,

I am shopping for a new dinghy for my 2009 Lagoon 420. I've got the davit system that has a solar tray on top, I'm estimating it at around 100-120 lbs.

I'm looking at a 10 foot dinghy with a "wet weight" 370 lbs - that's probably 200 lbs more than the one I have on their now.

I've seen other 420s with similarly rigged dinghies but I'm not finding any specs that tell me what the manufacturer says.

The davits that are on the boat (they were there when I bought it) seem to be common design/type.

I'm wondering what weight limit I can consider for a new dinghy.

Thanks!!
psychfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 12:33   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52
Re: Trying to find Max Davit Load on 2009 Lagoon 420

Hi psychfeld

Lagoon state that the max tender for the 2007 Lagoon 420 is 280kg (617lbs) and a maximum length of 3.8m (12ft 6in). We have sailed for fifteen thousand miles with a 4.2m (14ft) RIB weighing 121kg (277lbs) hanging from the davits. The RIB carries a 15HP 36kg (80lbs) outboard making a total dry weight of 157kg (357lbs).

Our davits have coped well with this weight and even coped with some severe shock loadings when the RIB broke free in a Force 10 and scooped up each passing wave for half an hour until I was able to re-secure the RIB (a perilous operation).

We demount the outboard when sailing on long passages or when expecting heavy seas, because I'm not happy with that much weight swinging around our stern, as it must affect the balance of the boat. We mount the outboard on a special home-made bracket attached to the port stern bimini post, with the leg resting on a plywood pad, to protect the coaming.

On long passages, we also rig additional lines from the RIB to blocks mounted at the top of the bimini posts, so the bimini posts are taking most of the weight of the RIB. We also secure the RIB to both transoms to minimise lateral movement.

You are proposing to have a total of 222kg (490lbs), which is more than I would like hanging off my stern, as I feel that we are pushing the limit at 157kg (357lbs), but what you propose is less than the limit that Lagoon quote 280kg (617lbs).

I think the davits will cope with your load, provided you do not meet any heavy weather. I would recommend demounting the outboard if you expect to meet heavy weather.

Fair sailing

Chris
Octopus, Lagoon 420 Hybrid (2007), Hull #52
Isle of Arran, Scotland
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:04   #3

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: Trying to find Max Davit Load on 2009 Lagoon 420

Chris - thanks a bunch for your thoughtful reply.

I sure appreciate your input about rough conditions and additional strategies for coping with challenging situations.

As much as I'd like a swank and cool dinghy with center console and other bells it seems I am wiser to stick with a light weight aluminum rib dinghy and keep the lightweight 15 hp 2 stroke merc as long as it keeps zipping along.

Thanks again!
psychfeld is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 420, loa