Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 16:52   #181

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Tri's or Cat's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
snip
My brother could set up his 28 from trailer to water in about an hour by himself.
snip
I would question that time! How about bending on the sails and control lines? How about folding and bagging? Securing the boat and all equipment?

Corsair owners love to tout fast launch times but it's a LOT of work to rig any trailer sailboat, climbing up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down. Better get in shape do your daily calisthenics or it'll wear you out. Thighs, butt and back will feel it. Hazy hot and humid can leave you pooped.

It's nice to have the option but I wouldn't want to do it more than a few times a year.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 17:06   #182

Newt, coming from a Valient 40 I really think you should listen to what Mark wrote about space. Stop looking at photos and step aboard. Just to add to that, if you bring a lot of stuff along those fast boats won't be so fast anymore, nor as safe if they're loaded up. If you're thinking about cruising, think about tank capacities, and think about stepping/climbing over the sleeping grandkids in the salon when you need to check the anchor at 0-dark hundred.

Sometimes I think of a displacement boat as one that's had the performance designed out of it. Light is fast.
Old 04-01-2015, 17:16   #183

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I would question that time! How about bending on the sails and control lines? How about folding and bagging? Securing the boat and all equipment?

Corsair owners love to tout fast launch times but it's a LOT of work to rig any trailer sailboat, climbing up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up-down. Better get in shape do your daily calisthenics or it'll wear you out. Thighs, butt and back will feel it. Hazy hot and humid can leave you pooped.

It's nice to have the option but I wouldn't want to do it more than a few times a year.
I'm going by what he told me. I did say it took over an hour with me helping. Corsair says it should take 30 minutes, but that is typical advertising.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 18:41   #184

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Mark, I got the Valiant because I was taking my entire family (8 at that time) sailing. Our family has continued to grow, and now the most I have on the boat is myself, my wife and two grandkids.
We know how to live small, having had 8 on a Bendy 34 before cruising for a few weeks. Heck, I even had 6 on my Compac 23 for short periods of time (scouts- don't go there)
A dragonfly 32 has an amazing interior for the size, very smartly done but for living inside I would say that it is a 2 persons boat. Yes, it could take for some days two extra kids but for more time it will feel cramped. The galley is also rather small even if it has a decent refrigerator (under the floor). The 35 is a lot better in what regards the galley and interior space even if not big. Certainly smaller than a monohull with the same size.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:18   #185

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
A dragonfly 32 has an amazing interior for the size, very smartly done but for living inside I would say that it is a 2 persons boat. Yes, it could take for some days two extra kids but for more time it will feel cramped. The galley is also rather small even if it has a decent refrigerator (under the floor). The 35 is a lot better in what regards the galley and interior space even if not big. Certainly smaller than a monohull with the same size.
Wife and I looked hard at the DF32.
The first thing we noticed was how much more interior room it had than our DF1000, but they did it by leaving almost NO storage !
It has some nice ergonomic improvements, but it's definitely not meant for full time cruising.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:08   #186
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

sail naked?
Old 05-01-2015, 11:20   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
The first thing we noticed was how much more interior room it had than our DF1000, but they did it by leaving almost NO storage !
It has some nice ergonomic improvements, but it's definitely not meant for full time cruising.
You've always got the amas for the light stuff, but we like to keep the high density things in the center hull (e.g. drinks, tools, canned goods). (After we moved the holding tank in our DF1000, we used to keep bottled and canned goods down under the cabin sole. My wife and I referred to it as the "wine cellar".) My DF1200 has at least twice the space under the sole but it's to starboard of the centerboard trunk (fresh water tank is under the port side).

BTW -- I find that large plastic storage bins are really useful in the amas, for keeping things organized and dry.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:30   #188

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
That was why I said it was strictly a two persons boat: the other cabin is needed for storage
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:31   #189
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

What rule of thumb do you have in putting storage into the ama's? How much extra weight do you have in there?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:22   #190

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Awkward and light. Typically things like oars and sailing kit for the dink, fenders, garbage till the next offload, empty storage containers and cooler for ship to shore shopping transfer, water hose etc.... Some people carry the light weather sails out there. We use very little gas during a trip, at the start I'll carry an extra 10 gallons a side in secure jerry cans to skip the fuel docks and these get used first. Total weight less than 200 lbs a side at the start and less as we go.

We do have lots of storage but use it wisely. Tri designers realized cabin space sells at the boat show and storage is a hidden asset that will be overlooked. Having less makes it harder to overload as well. Smaller boats need to take more of a backpack approach with the passengers packing to airline carry on rules. If the birds are overloaded they won't fly....
Cavalier MK2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 15:05   #191

I need an intervention. Everybody laughs at me. We use backpacking utensils and a P-51 can opener to save weight. I don't know, it seems reasonable to me?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:16   #192
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
I need an intervention. Everybody laughs at me. We use backpacking utensils and a P-51 can opener to save weight. I don't know, it seems reasonable to me?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
And so the question is-
How fast do you want to go??
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:48   #193

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
And so the question is-
How fast do you want to go??
@ windspeed would be nice.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:03   #194

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
You've always got the amas for the light stuff, but we like to keep the high density things in the center hull (e.g. drinks, tools, canned goods). (After we moved the holding tank in our DF1000, we used to keep bottled and canned goods down under the cabin sole. My wife and I referred to it as the "wine cellar".) My DF1200 has at least twice the space under the sole but it's to starboard of the centerboard trunk (fresh water tank is under the port side).

BTW -- I find that large plastic storage bins are really useful in the amas, for keeping things organized and dry.
We moved our holding tank as well. Now that space occupies our Spectra 180.
The openable access hatch at the forward end of the sole is also for the kitty box.

We keep fenders, the cruising chute forward, and an inflatable kayak in each of the aft ama lockers.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:40   #195

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

My random thoughts.

Love twin outboards on my Seawind. Even an unskilled pilot like me can spin the boat in its own length and much cheaper to replace or repair than an inboard.

I have personally seen and been involved in starting the outboard on a Corsair 45 minutes after it was on a trailer in a parking lot and backing away from the dock.

Not saying my inflatible and 9.9 Yamaha is ideal but all the cruisers I know consider a reliable, roomy, seaworthy and somewhat fast tender easily raised and lowered from the Davis a must. Same goes for a well designed arch for solar panels to charge up a good house battery bank.

As a single hander I view my Seawind as a hard choice to beat. But I have been on an F39 that had more speed and enough space for me to live in.

The owner of the Fboat did say while he oftentimes exceeded twenty knots he only did it with a crew of four or five.

I carry 110 gallons of water, 50 gallons of gas, probably a months worth of caned goods and dry goods, clothes, toilet items, tools, a couple of extra anchors and chain, and lots of toilet paper for starters. Have to say there never seems to be enough room for all the stuff like diving gear, cameras, and computers I want to drag along when cruiding.

YMMV

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote