Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-12-2014, 18:04   #91

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Tri's or Cat's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
By the way, this is not a racing boat but a performance cruiser and this one particularly is a charter boat.
Yep, that looks like a hellava lot of fun. But that's no cruiser. You think those 5 guys spent the night on that boat? And they each had a warm shower? And where's the grill? Plus, I didn't see any cup holders....

2 Hulls Dave

Old 31-12-2014, 18:11   #92

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
To be honest, I thought they'd be much faster. 9.5 in around 15kts apparent, and under what looks like a dedicated light wind reaching sail.
The Dragonfly 1200 is a great offshore boat but the new models from Dragonfly are much faster. The 32 is faster then the 35 and the 1200, but speed is not everything and the Dragonfly 1200 is reasonably fast and is a very seaworthy boat.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 18:15   #93

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Something trailerable sure would make getting up here faster....and be faster sailing.
Old 31-12-2014, 18:33   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Yep, that looks like a hellava lot of fun. But that's no cruiser. You think those 5 guys spent the night on that boat? And they each had a warm shower? And where's the grill? Plus, I didn't see any cup holders....

2 Hulls Dave
Yes, that is a cruising boat. I have a friend, a 60 year old surgeon that has one and that boat is badly sailed (only main, no frontal sail), well, what do you expect from charters?

As I said your comment gives strength to what I said : You guys are not used to fast light modern performance cruisers.

That boat is going fast, badly sailed and not even with a frontal sail and with full main, that show the kind of abuse it can sustain. These boats have the hulls of solo racing boats and are designed to be sailed with minimum work. They have a huge stability. At night, even on racing boats at full blast, they just turn the autopilot and sleep.

This is a cruising boat with a great interior and a Swing keel that gives it the same potential as a multihull in what regards anchorages.

This is a thread deviation but it was not me that started it. Let's stick with trimarans and Catamarans
Old 31-12-2014, 18:45   #95

Baloney. That's no cruiser. So where are the berths for 5 guys and the water for showers and the refers that hold their meals and the dinghy and the extra sails and spares and stores and on and on and on? Not to mention, where's the rum. Besides, no rod holders.

A weekender at most for a couple or small family.

2 Hulls dave
Old 31-12-2014, 19:08   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
At night, even on racing boats at full blast, they just turn the autopilot and sleep. :
Rubbish
Old 31-12-2014, 19:12   #97

Quote:
Baloney. That's no cruiser. So where are the berths for 5 guys and the water for showers and the refers that hold their meals and the dinghy and the extra sails and spares and stores and on and on and on? Not to mention, where's the rum. Besides, no rod holders.

A weekender at most for a couple or small family.

2 Hulls dave
I guess that would lead us to what is a cruising boat. The Pardeys or Jimmy Cornell on the first boats or the Shards, on the boat they used for more time and many others have done and do long range cruising in much smaller boats than the Pogo 12.50 and did not even have the privilege of speed that allows to carry considerable less load for a given long passage.

Anyway, this boat like the multihulls has a big load ability but like light fast performance multihulls, to go fast they need to travel light, that does not mean without cruising gear, but not like a condo cat or a medium heavy monohull, with AC, Genset, washing machine and all. Different cruising styles, different life styles.

Anyway the Pogo 12.50 shares with multihulls, at least some, another characteristic (besides low draft): they are unsinkable.
Old 31-12-2014, 19:19   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Rubbish
Maybe you can tell me how a solo sailor makes a racing transat on a class 40? do you think they are at the rudder all time? or that they reduce sail at night? If they do that they go to the tail of the race since there are another 40 top sailors that don't do that
Old 31-12-2014, 19:22   #99

Quote:
Anyway, this boat like the multihulls has a big load ability but like light fast performance multihulls...
Total BS.

Where's the dinghy?

2 Hulls Dave
Old 31-12-2014, 19:28   #100

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Tri's or Cat's?

Quote:
Yes, that is a cruising boat. I have a friend, a 60 year old surgeon that has one and that boat is badly sailed (only main, no frontal sail), well, what do you expect from charters?

As I said your comment gives strength to what I said : You guys are not used to fast light modern performance cruisers.

That boat is going fast, badly sailed and not even with a frontal sail and with full main, that show the kind of abuse it can sustain. These boats have the hulls of solo racing boats and are designed to be sailed with minimum work. They have a huge stability. At night, even on racing boats at full blast, they just turn the autopilot and sleep.

This is a cruising boat with a great interior and a Swing keel that gives it the same potential as a multihull in what regards anchorages.

This is a thread deviation but it was not me that started it. Let's stick with trimarans and Catamarans

I for one appreciate what you bring to many threads on this forum. That is, an experienced opinion backed up by relevant data.

Quote:
Maybe you can tell me how a solo sailor makes a racing transat on a class 40? do you think they are at the rudder all time? or that they reduce sail at night? If they do that they go to the tail of the race since there are another 40 top sailors that don't do that
If I had the financial resources, I would jump on the Pogo as my first real cruiser. To me, the point that Polux consistently represents is a new paradigm of fast, performance oriented cruising that moves beyond what mass production builders pawn off to us as "state of the art", i.e., Jeanneau/Beneteau, J boat. I can recognize when the needle moves. Thanks Paulo.
Old 31-12-2014, 19:43   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
If I had the financial resources, I would jump on the Pogo as my first real cruiser. To me, the point that Polux consistently represents is a new paradigm of fast, performance oriented cruising that moves beyond what mass production builders pawn off to us as "state of the art", i.e., Jeanneau/Beneteau, J boat. I can recognize when the needle moves. Thanks Paulo.
So where would YOU put the dinghy? And the breadmaker, and the watermaker, and the batteries, and the water tanks, and the fuel tanks, and the food, etc., etc., etc? Hmmmm? Vs a cat?

2 Hulls Dave
Old 31-12-2014, 19:56   #102

Quote:
So where would YOU put the dinghy? And the breadmaker, and the watermaker, and the batteries, and the water tanks, and the fuel tanks, and the food, etc., etc., etc? Hmmmm? Vs a cat?

2 Hulls Dave

My answers hinge on my definition of cruising. And so all of these things are proportionate to that end use. There's a lot of discussion here on varying definitions on "cruising". One size does not fit all.
Old 31-12-2014, 20:15   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
My answers hinge on my definition of cruising.
It should be clear to anyone who frequents these forums what "cruising" means. Essentially, live aboard, self sufficient existence involving several hundreds of nm of travel, multiple day passage making minimum, over several months minimum, including blue water passages and remote anchorages. No marinas. And that's just the minimum. Up to a circumnavigation.

Don't give us the weekender alternative hopping between marinas. I could have done that on my Sunfish.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 31-12-2014, 20:23   #104

Quote:

2 Hulls Dave
Recently a guy made a non stop circumnavigation with a class 40 that is similar to that boat without the nice cruising set up.

Where do you think he puts the breadmaker, the watermaker, the batteries, the water tanks, fuel tanks and food for an entire non stop circumnavigation?

Obviously you cannot understand that not all sail or cruise the same way and not all desire the same lifestyle or the same type of boat. I am not saying that a monohull is a better cruising boat then a cat, it is you that are saying that a cat is a better cruising boat than a monohull.

Go figure why for each cat there are 20 or more multihulls and why rich guys that have huge yachts and have money to buy what they want buy almost in all cases monohull yachts.
Old 31-12-2014, 20:32   #105

Tri's or Cat's?

Quote:
It should be clear to anyone who frequents these forums what "cruising" means. Essentially, live aboard, self sufficient existence involving several hundreds of nm of travel, multiple day passage making minimum, over several months minimum, including blue water passages and remote anchorages. No marinas. And that's just the minimum. Up to a circumnavigation.

Don't give us the weekender alternative hopping between marinas. I could have done that on my Sunfish.

2 Hulls Dave

Okay but this is your personal definition that is not broadly shared based upon this new thread that just popped up as if on queue ...Define "Cruiser"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: