Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2014, 15:25   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Tri's or Cat's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
It is all relative. Look at what they are working on now on Corsair.
I have no idea what you mean. I was at the factory recently and I talk to them on a daily basis, do you know something I don't?
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 17:17   #62

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I have no idea what you mean. I was at the factory recently and I talk to them on a daily basis, do you know something I don't?
I don't know, I m talking about the new performance design, different from all other Corsairs, one that really looks modern, this one:

I know it is a performance line more for racing but I do hope that they understand that they have to modernize their boats in what regards hull design and looks too. This line could be the beginning of a change in what regards the conservative Corsair design. Made a post about it on my blog sometime back. Just look at the difference in Hull design (Cruze 970)

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 17:19   #63
Marine Service Provider

Thats a Pulse - a one design 6 meter boat one design and really light weight. It may surprise you to learn that I have a reasonable handle on what corsair are doing given I am the local dealer for them. The Cruse and Dash MkIi all have the revised larger volume amas. Of course the sprint replicates the Dash.
Old 29-12-2014, 19:44   #64

Boat: too many

Since Seawind acquired Corsair I would bet Factor is well dialed into what is happening in Viet Nam.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 01:07   #65
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Since Seawind acquired Corsair I would bet Factor is well dialed into what is happening in Viet Nam.
You would hope so
Old 30-12-2014, 05:41   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

(Going back to a post several ones ago)
I wonder how much it would cost to put out 3 Hammerheads- If I provide the landing and shed?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 05:55   #67
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Beautiful boat. But where we live, well, I think I'd get tired of anchoring a mile away and rowing in. And at $ 500 a gallon for bottom paint...that puts it way out of my reach.
Old 30-12-2014, 07:56   #68

Boat: Marine Trader 36 sedan
Send a message via Skype™ to happyendings

Having owned both cats and tris, I feel at least somewhat qualified to make useful comparisons and to discuss some of the issues raised in previous posts. The "twitchy bobble" is, imho, mostly a catamaran phenomenon and has its roots in two separate but sometimes interactive sets of forces. The first is obvious and well recognized, this being the result of simple geometry: in some conditions with the sea beam on (mostly), one hull will be up on the crest of the swell and the other in the trough and this condition can occillate rather rapidly. A slight change of course will substantially diminish this and the boat will be much happier but the crew will still feel the "twitchy bobble" in most near beam-on conditions. The second phenomenon is the tendency for the driven hull to switch from leeward to windward in some sea states and on various points of sail. This action can occur in a greater variety of conditions and is more subtle. Of course, the two phenomenon are not mutually exclusive.

The sea-keeping of the cruising trimaran is more like a very svelte monohull with training wheels. Any "twitchy bobble" is more likely the result of the monohull sailor experiencing a lighter, more lively and better performing vessel after having been more used to sailing at anchor. The space given up in the trimaran main hull versus the monohull can be balanced against the tri's ability to carry lighter, bulky items like sails in the amas (which should never be used for heavy stowage). As the trimaran becomes more performance oriented, the tendency is to carry one ama un-immersed at anchor, thus leading to weeble wobble (as distinct from twitchy bobble.) One can deliberately violate the prohibition against carrying heavy objects in one ama to attenuate this effect.

I hope this clears things up. Happy New Year!
Old 30-12-2014, 07:58   #69

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Newt, how about splitting the total cost up into component parts: Hulls and superstructure, ready to float, rigging and sails, accessory equipment (plumbing, electrical, mechanical, steering, etc.). Then you could also add a category for cruising equipment (watermaker, dinghy and outboard, swim platform, tramps or nets, etc.).

The problem with "how much to build" is that we all seem to have a significant range of what we want when we're done with the building. I recall Jim Brown commenting that when we were done with building the hulls we had accomplished two thirds of the work, but only one third of the total cost of having a completed cruising boat. Seems right to me after thirty-five years with the same boat.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 08:25   #70

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
(Going back to a post several ones ago)
I wonder how much it would cost to put out 3 Hammerheads- If I provide the landing and shed?
Why not contact Chirs White?
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 08:57   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
I will if I have 3 dead serious want a 54 hammerhead people, (myself being one). Must have $$$ within 2 years of today.
Anybody else going to walk the walk?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 08:58   #72

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Because I don't want to know the answer Without the answer one can still dream.

Seriously though, if there is real interest around I'd love to talk. Building a plug to take off 2 or 3 sets up hulls makes lots more sense than one.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 09:05   #73

Boat: too many

I think newt knows my position. I've been caring for my dad for the last 6 years and don't know when I'd be free to do other things. Could a 54 be built and fitted for around $250K?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 09:06   #74

Boat: Comet 41s

The subject was raised on another thread but I guess on this one are the guys that would be more interested on it: the most advanced emergency release sheets system available, the one that is used by top solo trimaran racers (a system like this is today mandatory on some races):

Syst?me anti chavirage UpSideUp
Actualit?s Ocean Data System

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2014, 09:47   #75

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Hammerheads don't have wing bunks do they? To me that is a essential cruising tri feature as it lets people sleep or rest without tieing up the accommodation. I suppose Chris White could add cabin extensions.....Dsanduril is right about the floor space but with intelligent layout the spaces can all be used without impacting each other. My galley and nav layout don't block the passages nor does the settee.

I've got plans for a big Newick tri if I ever decide to upgrade but for what I do the Nicol works really well and is easy to singlehand, a consideration now my crew is in college. Plus the wing deck keeps things drier and makes deck work easier in these cold waters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a21.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	427.7 KB
ID:	94523  
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote