Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 15:47   #151

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p
Re: Tri's or Cat's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
newt,

Too bad the Newick that sparau shared on this thread was $395K Australian. It was much better equipped for serious cruising than the Hammerhead 54's, and I'm sure the performance was on a par with the 54. If it was being offered at $250k like Hecla sold at, it would be the boat IMHO.
FYI, it's been for sale for >6 months and thats only 320k US, could be close… Would have to be cheaper than building wouldn't it?
Old 02-01-2015, 16:25   #152

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post
FYI, it's been for sale for >6 months and thats only 320k US, could be close… Would have to be cheaper than building wouldn't it?
I had seen his singlehanded video before, and the idea of cooking pasta during knocking off a 300 mile day was impressive. The sweet motion alone for that kind of mileage caught my attention. Running at 20+ kt solo on a cruise says a lot as to the confidence he has in his boat. At an asking of $320K USD, I wonder after 6 months what the magic number would be??? He is 74, looking to downsize.

Something I always want on a cruising boat is SSB with auto-tuner, and when it is on a used boat I'm considering, it tells me the owner either cruised or at least intended to cruise. It has it, along with what looks like a very well designed dodger and all lines running into the cockpit. New sails in 2012, 2013 refit, and none of the useless heavy crap (at least to me) like dishwasher, washer/dryer, A/C. Repeater at Nav station along with that SSB.

Hey newt, you want to start your trip in NZ?

Here is his website. http://www.trvlr.net.nz/traveller_4/description.html
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 16:52   #153

Boat: Outremer 50S

I've seen Traveller, and I think she's a very nice, very well thought out boat. Would take her in a heartbeat if now was the time.

My only complaint/concern would be that I really don't like the aft cabin entry. Take a look at it, the entry is through the hatch on the aft deck (not in itself a bad thing). To enter you have to climb out of the cockpit onto sloping back deck (all while blasting along at 18k ) and then make your way into the cabin. Maybe it's not as bad as I imagine, but wonder what the Admiral would think about getting in and out of bed on a passage?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 17:19   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I've seen Traveller, and I think she's a very nice, very well thought out boat. Would take her in a heartbeat if now was the time.

My only complaint/concern would be that I really don't like the aft cabin entry. Take a look at it, the entry is through the hatch on the aft deck (not in itself a bad thing). To enter you have to climb out of the cockpit onto sloping back deck (all while blasting along at 18k ) and then make your way into the cabin. Maybe it's not as bad as I imagine, but wonder what the Admiral would think about getting in and out of bed on a passage?
I looked at his web site again and that hatch appears to be the only entry into the aft cabin, so aft cabin = guest quarters and use tether, don't want to lose a guest blasting along at 18 kt. At least he has a sink for the aft cabin, so the guest in the morning can be dressed and teeth brushed before moving forward for breakfast.
Old 02-01-2015, 19:22   #155

Boat: Outremer 50S

Deck Officer,

this is water under the bridge, but Traveller was in the Bay Area a couple of years ago. Gary Helms had an open boat at Ballena Bay. Dick Newick was aboard. Quite fun.

OPEN BOAT VIEWING: NEWICK 50' TRIMARANÂ* - News - Helms Yacht Sales | Corsair Trimarans | Seawind Catamarans | Dragonfly | Multihull Sail Boats For Sale in SF Bay Area CA

I could easily see sailing away in her.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 20:40   #156
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Personally, in extreme conditions I'd use a sea anchor. Running before a drogue is another good strategy, but requires sea room.

A sea anchor must be properly sized and deployed though. There are some "disaster stories" but in reality they are generally about people who had undersized anchors or used old cargo parachutes etc.

The cat's in the Queen's birthday storm survived by simply lying ahull, which most would say isn't the best strategy.

A wave big enough to roll a cat will be bigger than the one needed to roll a similar sized mono. So if the waves haven't rolled your mono yet, you're unlikely to roll a multi.

We always hear about how the mono will "just pop right back up" but the reality is a bit different. It might be right-side-up, but it will almost certainly be dismasted, most likely have steering damage, and an inoperable engine. Without it's rig it will be far more likely to roll again.

The crew having rolled through 360 degrees are very likely to have suffered severe injuries. And that's just the first roll.
Thank you 44. When I get my multi, I will probably have a drogue and a sea anchor in it. I will just have to trust your advice about rolling a multi. If I am paranoid enough to keep my mono from tipping, then a multi should be harder to tip over.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 20:48   #157
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I had seen his singlehanded video before, and the idea of cooking pasta during knocking off a 300 mile day was impressive. The sweet motion alone for that kind of mileage caught my attention. Running at 20+ kt solo on a cruise says a lot as to the confidence he has in his boat. At an asking of $320K USD, I wonder after 6 months what the magic number would be??? He is 74, looking to downsize.

Hey newt, you want to start your trip in NZ?

Here is his website. description
The dollar should continue to get stronger through most of 2015...at least that is what my sources say.
If I go to NZ to buy a 300k boat, you can bet I'm going to fly...
Old 02-01-2015, 21:10   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
The dollar should continue to get stronger through most of 2015...at least that is what my sources say.
Until Dsanduril mentioned the owner was in the SF Bay area with "Traveler", I was under the impression he was just single handing the South Pacific. I don't know newt, 300 mile 24 hour runs solo and comfortable is maybe something we don't deserve till we are in our 70's like him. I got 8 years to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03100_2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	94778  
Old 03-01-2015, 03:59   #159

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Not regarding Euro. The Dolar was never so close to the Euro and is going to get closer, so I have been said. Good time to buy in Europe...but not many big trimarans here for sale except reconverted old racing boats that can be an interesting option.

For sale: 16.5m Trimaran Tres | M-int Webdesign & Computerhulp
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:19   #160

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Last summer I tried to convince my wife to film some very nasty conditions we were sailing in. I couldn't leave the wheel. She refused because she was not able to look at the waves
You too eh?
(in the Georgia Strait a couple of years ago)

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:27   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One last question (yeah, right) Do the arms that hold the side Ama's flex? It would seem like a degree of flexibility in the arms would make it quieter and safer. Do different makers have different degrees of flexibility in them, maybe cruising greater than racing? For that matter, do Cats flex between their hulls?
A stiff boat (to me) would seem to be uncomfortable, but if it flexes too much fatigue could be a real problem.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:23   #162

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

How much movement there is depends on the design. Bridge deck cats and wing deck tris are designed as rigid structures, the old Pivers flexed more because the beams were horizontal rather than vertically oriented. Generally the wider the beam the more flex will be noticeable. Some boats like the classic Wharram are designed to flex...

On any multihull the ride is most determined by the shape of the hulls. Fuller rounder hulls will have more abrupt motion, V's ride soft but tend to pitch more. For these reasons different shapes are often used in different parts of a hull, fine entry to slice waves, fuller midsection to carry loads, sterns shaped to reduce drag and pitching etc.....

On a tri the ama shape has much to do with the ride. The rounded V of a Marples CC boat gives a softer ride than the chine ama of a Searunner for instance, A full section 200%+ displacement racing ama designed to carry 2 hulls flying has a rougher ride. Cruising it isn't all about speed....

While a longer, bigger craft can make faster passages it will be a lot more work inshore in the channels, islands and anchorages. I have to smile at some who are contemplating these craft as they are in no way prepared for the difference speed and width make inshore. Everything happens faster, you have to drive like a powerboat, alert at all times. A large boat will need a self taking jib as you'll soon get exhausted tacking every few minutes (or sooner) when things close up. Indeed you may need to power as much as before because of maneuverability issues.

Think about where you realistically plan on going and size accordingly. I've sailed on fast 45 foot tris in the PNW and think less than 50' is more realistic. One 60' tri owner regretted his choice and soon downsized.

Survival 70 + knot storms do occur up here but there is warning they are coming, that fall blow in Oregon was well reported and tracked on the coast with advance notice close to a week in advance. Waiting for the right season to sail is part of the responsibility of being an owner. A few years back a South African cat was lost on the west coast while being delivered to the Seattle boat show in winter. The cause was the skipper trying to beat a well forecast system to get a early delivery in, a mistake neither he or the crew is around to try again.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 18:00   #163
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you for the discussion of ride and hull shape. I am anal about the weather, and try not to out sail a system. I just seem to get hit every once in a while, and I want the boat to be able to take it.
I really agree with you about tacking up channels and passages. In that case smaller is better! I am thinking the new DF 32 may be the way to go. Something in the 32-37 foot range anyway, and will look at the Searunners pretty seriously too...
(bottom line- I am just as confused as when I started out, just confused about different stuff)
Old 03-01-2015, 18:11   #164

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Thank you for the discussion of ride and hull shape. I am anal about the weather, and try not to out sail a system. I just seem to get hit every once in a while, and I want the boat to be able to take it.
I really agree with you about tacking up channels and passages. In that case smaller is better! I am thinking the new DF 32 may be the way to go. Something in the 32-37 foot range anyway, and will look at the Searunners pretty seriously too...
(bottom line- I am just as confused as when I started out, just confused about different stuff)
You should "tri" to see those boats first-hand. They are VERY different.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 18:12   #165

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

If you are considering the DF32 the you might want to look at the Corsairs and Farriers. I always thought the Contour 34 was really cool and there is or used to be one for sale on the left coast.