Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2015, 07:45   #16
Eternal Member

Re: Trip to Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
What is with this fanatical attraction to Cuba? Tropical islands are a dime a dozen if one is fascinated with hot, humid destinations. What's so special with Cuba?
Well, if you have to ask... ;-)

Sorry, but islands like this are hardly a dime a dozen...

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 08:45   #17

@ Jon Eisberg

Great shots! I also would like to sail there asap .... Hope my work schedule allows for a break to go there soon ..

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 10:12   #18

Cuba was a lot of fun for us. Cheap and friendly. We never felt in danger and some of the people were truly kind. One casa we stayed at had a lady that grabbed me up in a big hug before we left and stuffed my pocket full of cigars her husband had rolled for me having seen me smoke one.

I know there are thousands of places in the world and Cuba is just one but I have nothing but fond memories of it.
Old 21-08-2015, 11:18   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

There will no doubt be a major influx of boats this winter. It will be interested to see if they harden the rules about permitted coastal stops or are more lax like when we were there in 2009.

I prefer to travel by boat than car or bus so will be interesting how things unfold. Would really like to check out all those old steel lighthouses mostly built in France in the 1800s I believe.
Old 21-08-2015, 18:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I'm not sure why anyone would feel the need to hire a bodygaurd. I have never felt more safe than when I was in Cuba. Heck we even picked up "hitchikers" in our rental car. Although Havana may be different as I didn't go there!

It was a girls only trip, perhaps an abundance of caution? Better safe than stupid? Haha

If I go I'm bringing a Cuban I grew up with in NOLA. I want to visit and meet the people and having translation is a huge plus.

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 07:25   #21

Boat: Mariner (N.H.), Sloop, 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Tory Salvia

For an in-depth video about cruising to Hemingway Marina, Cuba aboard a St. Francis 50 catamaran (including realtime footage entering this difficult harbor) check out "Suliere: Cuba and the Ragged Islands" by British sailors, Paul and Leslie Burgess.
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/cubaraggedislands
Tory Salvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 15:22   #22
Marine Service Provider

Trip to Cuba

We went in August, entire N Coast, vessels required to get BIS Permit approved, then submit float plan and get USCG approval. Will need to list a General License reason in your BIS request with full details.
Clearance in and out at every PORT, virtually impossible once there to lower your tender to water, must stay on big boat at all times except when in totally uninhabited areas of Jardines del Rey, or similar.
Only 4 places on N Coast from Havana to East tip, to get Fuel, Havana, Varadero, Guillermo (Jardines area), Puerta Vita.... Friendly people, however nowhere near ready for FL boaters. The "Marinas" listed above only have a couple slips along seawalls available on a Med-Moor... except Varadero (all inclusive Tourist Beach Hotels area) with great modern Marina, but limited on anything to do but visit the inclusive hotels... or Havana/Hemingway.
No reason to "rush" down, it's not possible to change Cuba quickly, and there is a long way to go to get to what FL boaters will desire for a return trip.
Old 29-11-2015, 17:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancher44 View Post
We are looking at sailing to Cuba the first 2 weeks of Nov.

How did it go?

This channel has 2 excellent videos from 2 separate trips.

http://youtu.be/RBzI0bpPXHg

Posted from my buggy iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 13:26   #24

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings

amazing photos.
you have a keen eye!
tikirawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:13   #25

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran

Regarding what is so special about Cuba, where to begin. First, it's about the same size as California, so it's not some small island. It has incredibly diverse flora and fauna, from tropical jungles to small, sandy keys, to mountains. It's probably one of the safest latin countries you can travel to, and unlike most of the Caribbean, doesn't exist simply to serve burgers to tourists. The people have a distinct and vibrant culture which you visit, not a culture based around your visit.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:57   #26

Boat: 1989 O'Day 322

Anyone with recent experience sailing to Cuba? Have the restrictions eased?
MrReedatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 18:45   #27

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrReedatsea View Post
Anyone with recent experience sailing to Cuba? Have the restrictions eased?
Are you asking from the American or Cuban side?

From the American side, yes you can get proper license to go to Cuba much easier. I don't know the specifics (I'm Canadian), but people here in Key West are getting the clearance. I know of several and a race just completed 2 days ago to Veradero-Havana back to Key West. I personally witnessed the boats coming back.

On the Cuban side. SOME of the restrictions are eased. VHF and GPS devices are no longer banned as an example... but weird rules still exist like you can't land a dinghy ANYWHERE. Seems like every month, things change a little bit on this side. Anyway.. Its a fantastic place to go if you can.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:28   #28

Boat: 1989 O'Day 322

Yes, specifically I was inquiring about a US citizen sailing to Cuba from Florida. I know there are travel exemptions and I am a licensed school teacher. Thoughts/info anyone?
MrReedatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:27   #29

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive sailed to Cuba in the past, but not under the recent, rather grey, state of affairs. "Grey area" and "law" are not two terms I like to hear together. If I were planning to go again, I would contact the State Dept and USCG for the most current accurate info (did that the first time too).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:50   #30

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrReedatsea View Post
Yes, specifically I was inquiring about a US citizen sailing to Cuba from Florida. I know there are travel exemptions and I am a licensed school teacher. Thoughts/info anyone?
I have been doing a bit of research into this exact topic - (american sailing to cuba).
We are allowed to go if we fall under a dozen different instances - most of which are extremely vague. If you are going for religious reasons or humanitarian reasons you are allowed to go without any permits required.
I'm thinking of bring a few cans of fruit cocktail to a church in Cuba...
You are still not technically allowed to go be a tourist and sight see as an American. If you are brave and don't mind living in the grey areas... then you will be fine.
Unfortunately getting a black and white legit permit to Cuba is still difficult.
If you hear anything else please let me know as I plan on making this voyage later this year.
tikirawker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba