Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2017, 17:55   #1

Trimaran on land - travel lift to small

We have a small dilemma we are trying to solve.
Boat was hauled out a couple of years ago in the marina by a trailer pulled by a car. Now they don't have that trailer and the person who organized that haul out and modified the trailer in no longer working there.

Current manager has a plan using one of their trailer and rebuild it to do a similar launch.

Boat is 40ft+
Has about 150 yards to launching ramp.

Any good ideas how to get her in the water?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 18:18   #2

Re: Trimaran on land - travel lift to small

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 19:11   #3

[ATTACH]154141
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0066.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	154141  
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 00:17   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Andreas, a big crane is the way to go. Ask around and see if there's one somewhere near you, that has some experience with a boat. You will pay transport to and fro, as well as an hourly wage. Sometimes, two people can split it if they both need the crane at the same location.

Ann
Old 15-08-2017, 04:37   #5

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Gday Andreas

I would go the trailer - unless the crane can move with your boat it will be a series of hops and then the crane will have to reset - Franna cranes may be able to do it but I would go another route.

I launched, pulled out and relaunched my 38ft cat on 4 box trailer axles welded together with 50mm angle. It worked well. Other friends have used old truck chassis and welded frames on top. A trailer is a good idea if the yard's ramp is good.

I would want the main hull down low. Many tris have been launched with no support for the floats - a few friends can help. Just go very slowly and carefully.

For a say 4 tonne tri I would use two reinforced trailer axles - fore and aft - probably no steering - my cat did a 50 degree turn with no steering - the tyres just took the punishment. Hulls sits on axle reinforcing. Hull cradle bolted on top. A frame draw bar out of cheap steel. If you can get the front axle from a truck you could steer it too.

Or you could go very low tech. I pulled out my 2 tonne Twiggy with a 4x4 and a hardwood shoe under the hull. I had a piece of 4x2 that fitted into the dagger case so that the shows stayed put. Put free MDF on the ground and she slid over it fine. Probably need rollers on your boat.

Do it slow and listen for creaking - lighten the boat as ,much as you can.

cheers

Phil
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 06:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
Gday Andreas

I would go the trailer - unless the crane can move with your boat it will be a series of hops and then the crane will have to reset - Franna cranes may be able to do it but I would go another route.

I launched, pulled out and relaunched my 38ft cat on 4 box trailer axles welded together with 50mm angle. It worked well. Other friends have used old truck chassis and welded frames on top. A trailer is a good idea if the yard's ramp is good.

I would want the main hull down low. Many tris have been launched with no support for the floats - a few friends can help. Just go very slowly and carefully.

For a say 4 tonne tri I would use two reinforced trailer axles - fore and aft - probably no steering - my cat did a 50 degree turn with no steering - the tyres just took the punishment. Hulls sits on axle reinforcing. Hull cradle bolted on top. A frame draw bar out of cheap steel. If you can get the front axle from a truck you could steer it too.

Or you could go very low tech. I pulled out my 2 tonne Twiggy with a 4x4 and a hardwood shoe under the hull. I had a piece of 4x2 that fitted into the dagger case so that the shows stayed put. Put free MDF on the ground and she slid over it fine. Probably need rollers on your boat.

Do it slow and listen for creaking - lighten the boat as ,much as you can.

cheers

Phil
Thanks Phil!
We are about 6 weeks from launch
Old 15-08-2017, 08:41   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
We have a small dilemma we are trying to solve.
Boat was hauled out a couple of years ago in the marina by a trailer pulled by a car. Now they don't have that trailer and the person who organized that haul out and modified the trailer in no longer working there.

Current manager has a plan using one of their trailer and rebuild it to do a similar launch.

Boat is 40ft+
Has about 150 yards to launching ramp.

Any good ideas how to get her in the water?
Build a substantial wooden cradle with longitudinal runners and roll her on round wooden rollers. As they come out the back carry them to the front. I used wood fence posts they were cheap. Bevel the leading edge of the runners. The yard probably has a fork lift or back hoe to posh on the cradle.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 09:50   #8

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Multi-hulls are light, should not be a dilemma. You need to lift it up either with jacks or Crain and put some sort of wheels under it. End of story.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 10:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Multi-hulls are light, should not be a dilemma. You need to lift it up either with jacks or Crain and put some sort of wheels under it. End of story.
You better check the price of a crane, portal to portal.
Old 15-08-2017, 10:51   #10

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Check out the dollys at the Port Orford dolly dock (use Google) most of them are old/junk yard truck frames.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 13:54   #11

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You better check the price of a crane, portal to portal.
Well if that is what it takes to pick it up, that is what you do. Or, you can just leave it set there. Cranes around here would be about $80-$100 an hour, depending on how far he has to travel,I think you are looking at $400-$500 . That is not too much different than what some marinas charge to lift a boat. I did say in my post jacks may be an option. Dilemmas cost money.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 13:59   #12

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Have you considered those large inflatable rollers? They can be hired. Of course you will need helpers to keep passing them back to the bow again--but they may be a lot less bother than modifying trailers. There will need to be a restraint of some kind once the vessel points downhill--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2017, 14:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Well if that is what it takes to pick it up, that is what you do. Or, you can just leave it set there. Cranes around here would be about $80-$100 an hour, depending on how far he has to travel,I think you are looking at $400-$500 . That is not too much different than what some marinas charge to lift a boat. I did say in my post jacks may be an option. Dilemmas cost money.
I got an estimate on a crane years ago. I think it was 90,000 lbs. to do the job. riggers mating and one high price. Probably did for $500. as apposed to 10K.
Old 15-08-2017, 20:42   #14

If the photo is close it looks like a 75 man lift. Translates into three pony kegs and plenty of ice (afterwards!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4943.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	154197

Communication is essential.

– Size up the load and check over-all conditions.

– A rule of thumb is to use one person for every 50 pounds.

– Wear proper personal protective equipment (PPE) to avoid finger injuries and contact stress.

– One person needs to be responsible for control of the action to ensure proper coordination. Select this person before the lift begins.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 18:45   #15

Thanks for all ideas!
We are about 6 weeks till launch.

So much to think of right now, loads of projects on the boat at the moment.
-Taking off all topside paint
-Ripping all interior our
-Ripping most of the electrics out
-Replacing some of the deck
...and loads more

Tags
lift, trimaran