Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2012, 12:24   #1
Lt.

Trimaran Facts and Opinions

I am curious about trimerans, and also catamerans, but mostly the trimerans. I was wondering about how fast that they were compared to mono-hauls. And I am talking about, if there is such a thing with multi-hauls, cruising models. Because that's what I plan on using when or if I get one. I am curious about what sorts of special skills are needed or if they are needed. Iam curious about whether or not they are as comfortable as a monohaul, like the living space and storage for long trips. About the stability of multi-hauls. About the depth of the draft, like whether or not there are deep keel models or center board models. The sizes of the sails needed. the sizes of them. the handling in tight marinas and harbors. And other things about them.

I'm doing my best to edgucate myself myself on sailboats of all kinds and makes. So that someday when I am finally able to get a boat, I can make an edgucated decision.
Lt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 15:12   #2

Re: Trimeran Facts and oppinions

well - there's the "it depends" answer. Need more context. Think if you just asked that question regarding Monohulls. We wouldn't know if you were looking at 18' daysailers, or 65' round the world cruisers. Basically - there are "tris" that could do any of those jobs. I prefer multis as I prefer the motion, the large deck space, the speed as well.
HapaPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 21:47   #3
Lt.

Definately the Round The World type.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:52   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
Definately the Round The World type.
we can narrow this down if you name your budget.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:12   #5
Lt.

What ever will buy me a quality ocean cruiser. But as I said, I'm try to educate myself as to what to get, so that I make can make an educated decision.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:20   #6

Relatively few people can say "whatever it takes". If you have that kind of money you should be asking "who are the best people to design, build and train me?" If you're not in that category and don't have a budget it's not likely that you'll be taken seriously. If you want a new production or custom boat your starting price will be in the $500-750k range and go beyond $1 million. A used boat will depend on design/contruction and condition. Check Boats for Sale, New and Used Boats and Yachts - YachtWorld.com or Catamaran, used or new, power or sail, and trimaran multihulls, for sale or charter by broker dealer - 2Hulls
Old 01-05-2012, 14:25   #7
Lt.

I should have said used. And yes I'm on a budget. Though I plan to have around 150k-200k by the time i start looking to buy. If that's enough. But I would like the questions above answered please. I would like to mention that I want something that can be safely and efficiently handled by 2 people. And handed well enough by one person. It does need to be huge, hut from what I know. Atleast 35ft. Maybe up to 50, I don't know. Thus the questions.
Old 01-05-2012, 14:49   #8

$150-200k will get you a used tri in the under-40ft. range, in decent condition. It will still need things to be replaced and repaired, so when ready you should allow $$ for a certain amount of refit. Whatever the survey says: Double it; as you will find issues once you own it that the surveyor didn't.

Your "new" approach is fairly obvious and I applaud you for starting your pursuit of "the dream". I think you need to start sailing on small boats and other people's boats, in protected bays and coastal waters, so you can learn the way different boats handle and learn from the skippers. I recommend everyone take basic navigation and sailing training (classroom and on-water), along with other skills that will help you be more self-sufficient once you cast off the lines. These skills include basic knots and weather forecasting, along with engine maintenance/repair. A cruising boat can have lots of systems, and all need maintenance/repair.

You've come to the right place to learn online, and there is allot of collective knowledge on every topic already in this discussion board.
Old 01-05-2012, 15:22   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

They say Banque Populaire V is on sale.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 17:11   #10
Lt.

Thank you, I'm pretty young(less than 25) so I am looking into taking a crew position somewhere sometime.
Old 01-05-2012, 19:58   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Dude, It's like asking what kind of car should I buy. BUT, I will answer some general questions. No special skills are needed compared to other boats. They can be easier or harder to sail. depending on a whole bunch of stuff but are not easier or harder to sail then those other boats that are easier or harder to sail. Tris and cats are generally easier because they don't heel much. There's a boatload of brands, designers, builders, and one offs. Some are better, some are older, some are rotten to the core. Most tris are faster than an average boat and some are way faster. So, Read the tri threads. There's a very large Searunner thread. If you get more specific then ask those questions. Good Luck.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:07   #12

Re: Trimaran Facts and Opinions

Hallo Lt,

A good trimaran is a fantastic boat to sail. (dare I say, the best.)
have a look at www.f-boat.com
It is trimaran designer Ian Farrier's website. Although he designs mainly smaller trimarans (he does have a 36 and 39 footer in his portfolio) his website will have a lot of general trimaran info for you.

Have fun looking.

Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:08   #13
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Hallo Lt,

A good trimaran is a fantastic boat to sail. (dare I say, the best.)
have a look at www.f-boat.com
It is trimaran designer Ian Farrier's website. Although he designs mainly smaller trimarans (he does have a 36 and 39 footer in his portfolio) his website will have a lot of general trimaran info for you.

Have fun looking.

Banjo.
Wow thanx, lot's of interesting info. I also like alot of the designs and ideas there!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:09   #14

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Speed: 1) Trimaran, 2) Catamarans, 3) Monohull heavy keel
Boats speeds of +20 knots is achievable in a Trimaran, but your hand will be on the trigger at all times at that speed

Roominess: 1) Catamarans, 2) Monohull heavy keel, 3) Trimaran
Cats have beam and a saloon that is almost as wide, so they have great live aboard space.
A 36 foot cat is equal in interior size as a 46 foot Monohull

Heal Angle - most to least : 1) Monohull heavy keel, 2) Trimaran, 3) Catamarans
Monohulls lean the most and are a real thrill when the rail is in the water, but will get you tired after many hours on those angles. Trimarans heal 10 to 15 degrees which with give them the speed once one of the hulls lifts out of the water. Cats heal up to 5 degree and most times you cannot even tell.

Shallowest draft to most: 1) Trimaran, 2) Catamarans, 3) Monohull heavy keel
Trimarans are in the 2 foot range. Cats are in the 3-1/2 foot range. Monohulls start around 5-1/2 feet and deeper.

Handling in marinas : 1) Monohull heavy keel, 2) Catamarans, 3) Trimaran (non folding)
Monohull beams average 13 feet. Catamaran beams average 24 feet. Trimaran (non folding) beams average 30 feet

No special skills are needed to sail any of these boats

The Corsair 36 folding trimarans and Farrier 32 are just a few of the many trimarans out there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair36.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	40795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair36_lean.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	40796  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Corsair36_lean2.jpg