Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 20-04-2011, 23:00   #736

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Rann
Re: Trimaran (Especially Searunner) Owners

There is (could be was) at least one other Searunner (a 37) by that name of Pegasus. It used to belong to Art and Cheresse Smoot in the 90's. They sailed her from L.A. to the Marquesas, Tonga, Fiji, and New Zealand in those yers, then sold her to an Aussie while they were in New Zealand. I don't know if the man from Oz changed her name or not.
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 19:18   #737

Boat: Catalac 8m

Charley now thinks that Pegasus is too common/boring, and wants to call the boat Horse Feathers which (I think) sounds rednecky. (Instead of cussing Charley will exclaim "Oh, horse feathers").
You guys must understand,,, we're from Kentucky. And I have this paranoia about it---but I guess Charley just accepts it. He also has mentioned wanting to paint it camo LOL.
So any opinions on this name?
CharleyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 19:38   #738

Here's an example:
While dumpster diving, Charley found these booth seats that the Ponderosa Steakhouse was throwing away....to hold our amas:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1800-2.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	26474  
Old 22-04-2011, 19:59   #739

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyAnna View Post
Charley now thinks that Pegasus is too common/boring, and wants to call the boat Horse Feathers which (I think) sounds rednecky. (Instead of cussing Charley will exclaim "Oh, horse feathers").
You guys must understand,,, we're from Kentucky. And I have this paranoia about it---but I guess Charley just accepts it. He also has mentioned wanting to paint it camo LOL.
I guess if you paint the port hull Red and the Starboard hull Camo - Kentuckians will understand. As for an appropriate name give starboard 'Burroflatulence' and port 'Kantinkonaim'
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 18:47   #740

Boat: Searunner 31

Got the main and yankee up on Pineapple Express for the first time today, and found a few questions that need answers:

For those of you with cutter rigs, what do you do with your forestay while sailing as a sloop? Do you disconnect and stow by the mast? How do you keep it from slatting against the mast? How do you take up the extra length?

Also, what headsails do you use for daysailing? Genoa? Mule? Yankee + Stays'l?
Old 23-04-2011, 19:16   #741

Quote:
Originally Posted by md7a View Post
Got the main and yankee up on Pineapple Express for the first time today, and found a few questions that need answers:

For those of you with cutter rigs, what do you do with your forestay while sailing as a sloop? Do you disconnect and stow by the mast? How do you keep it from slatting against the mast? How do you take up the extra length?

"what do you do with your forestay while sailing as a sloop? Do you disconnect and stow by the mast? How do you keep it from slatting against the mast? How do you take up the extra length?"

I presume you mean the cutter's staysail stay (the inner forestay) ? On mine I disconnect the pelican hook from the deck pad eye, then bring it back to the base of the mast and then loop it up and and tie off with a bungy to the main halyard winch. Or bring the pelican back to the windward rail and hook up, when on a steady tack.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 17:19   #742

Quote:
Originally Posted by md7a View Post

My extra tall rig has no genoa, but a large high clewed "Lapper" instead. When at sea on long passages, we leave the staysail wire rigged up with the staysail rigged up on it, in a bag. We only needed it removable when we started inland sailing, on the flat NC sounds. This is how we do it...

Good luck, Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	263.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	26550   Click image for larger version

Name:	346.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	26551  

Name:	375.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	26552   Click image for larger version

Name:	375-A.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	26553  

Name:	376.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	26554  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 17:23   #743

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyAnna View Post
My wife is from KY! They are great sailor women, BTW...

Call your boat whatever suits you're fancy. One Searunner was called "Invocation to the Great Bear"!

I saw a boat in C America with a HUGE deer painted on the side, wearing an eye patch. The boat name... Good Eye Deer!

It's all good fun, M.
Old 28-04-2011, 15:40   #744

Boat: Islander 34
Spinnaker?

so hey,

my searunner came with a half-decent set of sails - a blown-out genoa, but a barely-used yankee and staysail combo that is now my main sailing rig, a well-used main, and a newish-looking spinnaker in a dousing sock.

the rest of the sails I've figured out on my own, but the spinnaker is a bit of a puzzle - the boat came with a set of snatch blocks on snap shackles, but no spinnaker pole!

I've never used a spinnaker before, but I do a fair amount of running downwind so I'd certainly like to use it. is the lack of pole an oversight that I'll need to remedy? I tend towards no, simply because my mast has no fitting for a spin pole, but I'm not sure where to rig these snatch blocks in order to get the spinnaker up and flying.

do you folks use a spinnaker, and if so, where do you rig it?
Old 28-04-2011, 15:56   #745
Marine Service Provider

Flying a spinnaker from a trimaran without a pole is a breeze. Both clews are rigged with 2 lines . The stbd clew lines run to blocks at the stbd ama bow and stern . The port clew to the same on the port ama. With the boat on a starboard tack , the stbd clew is controlled by the line to the line to the bow. [called the guy] The port clew is controlled by the line led to the stern. [called the sheet] When gybing over to the port tack, the spinnaker is brought over to the stbd side of the bow by easing the working guy and sheet while taking up on the lazy sheet and guy. Due to the beam of a trimaran, no pole is needed to accomplish the necessary spread between the two clews.
xsboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 05:57   #746

Yes, What Scott said... And, an "asymmetrical" works best for this. It can be tacked to the ama bow down wind, or if it is fairly flat, you can tack it to the Vaka bow, and sail to windward a bit with it! Jack Molan has success with the new "Code 0" rollers, but we use a conventional sock... for now!

If the aft sheet lays against the lifelines on it's way up to the clew of the sail, you can just open the gate.

We use a pad eye & block, Fwd of the aft stanchion, for the aft sheet. It does double duty as the aft spinnaker sheet, (when flying the spinnaker), AND we keep it rigged up (with a snap shackle) to also use with the headsail, when on a reach, or further down wind. It sits snapped onto a stanchion until needed. Used with the headsail this way, moving the sheet 4' further out, it gives a much better shape to the sail on a reach, an advantage that monohulls don't have.

Trimarans are PERFECT for a spinnaker!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	138_138.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	26727   Click image for larger version

Name:	336.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	26728  

Name:	361.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	26729   Click image for larger version

Name:	387.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	26730  

Old 29-04-2011, 19:34   #747

Mark your boat is beautful. We just got ours, and I've already got 3 ft. envy. And, I hope to someday live up to the standards your wife has set!!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:44   #748

Boat: Jim Brown Searunner 37`

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rann View Post
There is (could be was) at least one other Searunner (a 37) by that name of Pegasus. It used to belong to Art and Cheresse Smoot in the 90's. They sailed her from L.A. to the Marquesas, Tonga, Fiji, and New Zealand in those yers, then sold her to an Aussie while they were in New Zealand. I don't know if the man from Oz changed her name or not.
Hi - I think this could be my searunner 37 ... I have been looking for info on its history and all I know is it was possibly built in the USA in ~1989 sailed to New Zealand and sold to a sail maker in NSW Australia - there it had one more owner and then me. The only discrepancy is the folklore story I was told has it being sailed solo across the pacific.

The previous owner thought it may have been called Pegasus but I havent been able to find the first Aussie owner. The 2 Australian owners both gave it different names - I'm not a fan of changing boat names so would love to know if this is really my boats first name.

If you have any contact details for the Smoots I would be interested in contacting them.

cheers

Jon J
sassarassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:56   #749

Boat: Jim Brown Searunner 37`
Drive shaft

Hi,

My 37 has a yanmar GM20 diesel installed on the port side beside the centerboard casing.

First a really dumb question - does it matter that the shaft is necessarily on an angle not parallel to the centerline?

Secondly - there is no flexible coupling in my drive train, should there be?

Thirdly - The engine seems vibrate a lot. I'd like to replace the engine mounts to see if this does anything to help. This is really subjective I know but how much vibration is too much?

cheers

Jon J
sassarassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:55   #750

Send a message via Skype™ to Rann

Jon,

I sent you a private message via this forum with some details on the possibility your 37 is the Pegasus I remember from the late 80's.

Rann
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran