Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 09-09-2019, 07:09   #4366

Boat: Boatless
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
i still manage a website for a plastic classic: hughes38 dot com altho i am looking for a trimaran, especially a Brown or Marples design, and if i buy a Searunner, i would be willing to take over the owners list. i already have trimaran stuff on my plastic classic website, which is morphing into a general nautical website depository of information and links.

So did Mark Johnson in S Carolina sell his trimaran? He was a source of lots of good information - i've read this entire thread - or are you referring to another Mark?

i just finished reading the Searunner Construction Manual cover to cover, and some stuff is out of date, but i thot that if i'm thinking of buying one, i should at least read the manual. Jim has a real good section of trimaran seamanship, pertaining to any trimaran, because he discusses the differences in handling between a centerboard boat and one with a LAR keel altho he doesn't call them that.

jon
I think mark still has his. I saw that he posted that he was waiting out Dorian
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:54   #4367

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
I PM'ed Mark and the guy that bought Corazon a while ago and they never answered. Mark disappeared from this forum after he sold her.
So did Mark Johnson in S Carolina sell his trimaran? He was a source of lots of good information - i've read this entire thread - or are you referring to another Mark?

Quote:

jon
I think I used the wrong name when I said Mark Johnson was the previous owner of Corazon. Anyway, point is that I PM'ed the former owner of Corazon and the buyer and neither replied.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 18:36   #4368

Boat: Islander 34

hey all,

I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that I have two boats, and that's one too many. I'm leaving this fall on a big sailing trip from Mexico to Australia, so it's potentially time to let one go.

s/v TIE Fighter is a Searunner 37 launched in 1986. she's in decent shape physically and electrically, but cosmetically she's a bit on the rough side, having sat in dry storage in San Carlos, Mexico (on her own trailer, included) for the past few years. she was out cruising for a month this past Christmas though, and apart from a new starter solenoid she held up just fine.

extensive pics and such on my old blog, disengage.ca - notably the pics of two extended stays in boatyards fixing all the problems a 35-year-old wooden boat can bring. her bones are solid, she just needs the right motivated young owners to make her a home again.

what's the market like for Searunners these days?
Old 09-09-2019, 18:55   #4369
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

What are you sailing to Australia. There is an Australian family looking for a Searunner actually. Maybe have bought one in the states already.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:04   #4370

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
s/v TIE Fighter is a Searunner 37 launched in 1986. she's in decent shape physically and electrically, but cosmetically she's a bit on the rough side,... her bones are solid, she just needs the right motivated young owners to make her a home again.
i wish you well with the sale of Tie Fighter, and may the new owners find her to be a pleasurable ride.

Question for all of you trimariners: i just read Jim Browns Searunner Construction Manual and in it he recommends anchoring by the stern, saying that there will be less swinging at anchor. What is your experience with this? Has anyone her on this forum tried or know those that have tried? This would solve the problem of running a small bowsprit to hold a spinnaker and still have a substantial anchor at the ready.

Mark Johnson: if i haven't already, many thanks for all the knowledge that you have so generously given us here on this thread. It has been like Searunner construction and maintenance 101. Mark: you are conspicuous by your absence here on this thread. Please come back!

And Roy, you are to be thanked too for your contributions to this thread, especially your posts about your centerboard and how you used lightweight board for so much of your interior. Can you tell us where you sourced this material?

Bob Wilson of SV Rattle and Hum wrote this: "All flat surfaces in the boat were built from Boeing Aircraft honeycomb panels. Floors, bunk bottoms, tables, and counter tops were constructed from this material."

Roy: how much weight do you estimate you have shaved from your SR40 using this material?

Thanks

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:11   #4371

Quote:
hey all,
what's the market like for Searunners these days?
Since i am in the market potentially for a SR37 i can answer your question i think
There are two projects in the NE US both have outboards.

https://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/d...945671033.html

and more info:

https://areyspondboatyard.com/broker...maran-skimmer/

Then there is this one:

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/68235

and i believe that the price has been lowered substantially since then, but can't find it right now.

SV Joie de Vivre in northern NB Canada recently was listed at $15k Canadian - old diesel, nice interior, lotsa stuff with it, but some rot as well as old sails and original standing rigging. She is sold, don't know what she sold for.

Last winter SV Ishmael was listed for $35K Canadian. dunno what she sold for. Diesel nice interior, no rot????, needed some cleanup imho.

So lets just say that SR37 projects are selling for $12K US, less for no diesel, and fully maintained boats ready to go are selling for $30US.

Altho i watched the Litzenburgers on Youtube buy their boat and they had a check in the video for $24K dunno Can or US but she had no diesel, and lots of rot.

If you can convince people that she's pretty and no rot, and diesel good with lots of nice stuff inside, you can ask in the higher part of that range. Mexico location might lower the price. i know it would for me.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
Old 13-09-2019, 04:57   #4372

Quote:
Mexico location might lower the price. i know it would for me.
Unless she were on the Gulf side of Mexico, then i would prefer it to Florida. Care to move her to Rio Dulce? We might be able to make a deal then.

jon
Old 14-09-2019, 13:29   #4373

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Unless she were on the Gulf side of Mexico, then i would prefer it to Florida. Care to move her to Rio Dulce? We might be able to make a deal then.
ahhh, you're missing out - the Sea of Cortez is the best cruising grounds in the world for a Searunner... and since she's already on her own trailer, dry storage is $100/month and a haulout or drop-in is $14.

(no typo there. it's $14. )
Old 18-09-2019, 11:10   #4374

Is anyone building a new Searunner these days? I know I would like to.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 12:39   #4375

Quote:
ahhh, you're missing out - the Sea of Cortez is the best cruising grounds in the world for a Searunner... and since she's already on her own trailer, dry storage is $100/month and a haulout or drop-in is $14.

(no typo there. it's $14. )
Only $14.00 for a haulout?? Wow! They want $1300.00 in San Diego for haul out and haul in and something like $150.00 per day in the yard. What yard is that and where is it located? Guaymas?
Old 18-09-2019, 12:59   #4376

Quote:
Since i am in the market potentially for a SR37 i can answer your question i think
There are two projects in the NE US both have outboards.

https://capecod.craigslist.org/boa/d...945671033.html

and more info:

https://areyspondboatyard.com/broker...maran-skimmer/

Then there is this one:

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/68235

and i believe that the price has been lowered substantially since then, but can't find it right now.

SV Joie de Vivre in northern NB Canada recently was listed at $15k Canadian - old diesel, nice interior, lotsa stuff with it, but some rot as well as old sails and original standing rigging. She is sold, don't know what she sold for.

Last winter SV Ishmael was listed for $35K Canadian. dunno what she sold for. Diesel nice interior, no rot????, needed some cleanup imho.

So lets just say that SR37 projects are selling for $12K US, less for no diesel, and fully maintained boats ready to go are selling for $30US.

Altho i watched the Litzenburgers on Youtube buy their boat and they had a check in the video for $24K dunno Can or US but she had no diesel, and lots of rot.

If you can convince people that she's pretty and no rot, and diesel good with lots of nice stuff inside, you can ask in the higher part of that range. Mexico location might lower the price. i know it would for me.

jon
Jon, you seem to have a good grasp on what Searunners are going for out there. So, any idea what a gorgeous Cross 34/36 (Stretched to 36 by Norman Cross to accomodate a sugar scoop transom. Transom was part of the original construction.) might sell for these days? (Seriously, even people that don't know boats comment on how beautiful she is.) This one has a sleek cabin (as opposed to the roomeran style cabin that many "graced" them with). She was built in Norms yard under his direction with symmetrical hulls built with tortured marine ply and epoxy and has Norms later more efficient keel. All wire rigging is new as of 4 years ago and one size bigger than plans call for well as new exterior LP paint. Boat has enough ground tackle (anchors, line, chain) to hold in a hurricane. The interior has beautiful joiner work and the boat has no rot anywhere. Sails are new main and new roller furling jib as of 4 years ago as well as a drifter and storm jib. Auxiliary power is a 2015 9.9 High Thrust Yamaha with extra long extensions mounted on a really nice built sled similar to the sled Jim Brown built for Scrimshaw. Boat has 250 watts of solar, 2 auto pilots, chart plotter, radar (radar isn't installed yet though).

What do you think the price range might be for a boat like this?
Old 18-09-2019, 16:56   #4377

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
What do you think the price range might be for a boat like this?
The only data point i have for Cross Tri's is a 38 stretched to 40. Loads of equipment, epoxy over foam construction, with a Westerbeke diesel, sold over the winter in the Bahamas before returning to Florida. Asking price was $55, so lets say she sold for $50. There are some Cross tri's on Yachtworld right now, but many of them are asking too much because they have been for sale since i started looking.

i have (i think) settled on a SR37 (because of singlehandling) if i can find a really nice one, and so i have been watching their prices closely.
Old 27-09-2019, 12:54   #4378

Boat: Searunner 37 Trimaran

Greetings All,

I have purchased a Searunner 37 that has some rot in the Port Ama.

I do not have blueprints for the boat, and I would like a detailed copy of the Port Ama design so i can put it back together.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks, Rob
thatguyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 13:42   #4379

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguyrob View Post
Greetings All,

I have purchased a Searunner 37 that has some rot in the Port Ama.

I do not have blueprints for the boat, and I would like a detailed copy of the Port Ama design so i can put it back together.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks, Rob
Rob, is the rot so bad you intend to build a new ama?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 15:41   #4380

Boat: Searunner 37 Trimaran

Sorry I should have been more clear, maybe the front 3 or 4 feet of the ama.

I chased down the rot and water intrusion plus a bit just to be sure!

Thanks.........Rob
thatguyrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran