Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 13-09-2018, 12:26   #4216

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

This is a little off topic, but I was hoping I could get a little input. I've finished rebuilding my Universal M50 engine (actually a Kubota V1902 industrial engine that was marinized by Universal) and am getting ready to "drop it in". It's for my Constant Camber 44 footer, and is going on the port side of the centerboard trunk and is shafted back about 19 feet to a Martec two blade folding prop. The controls and the engine readouts are going to be linked to a pedestal wheel with the throttle and transmission controls mounted on the binnacle. My problem is that I've never installed a diesel in a boat before. The Teleflex controls seem pretty straightforward- forward-neutral- reverse and the throttle is slow- fast- and OH MY GAWD! Does anyone have thoughts, tips or really good advice before I go ahead and screw it up on my own. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm still working on how I can roll a 1/4 ton of ridiculously expensive machined steel to my back yard, lift it up some 14 feet in the air, roll it to the center of a 28 foot wide trimaran to CAREFULLY lower it onto the engine support stringers without dropping it through the hull and losing my cool (and religion) in the process.
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 17:07   #4217

Crane. A stinger truck would do it. Still trying to wrap my mind around a 14’ prop shaft!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 17:24   #4218

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran

Well.....that's part of the problem. When we bought the house, we actually measured the back yard to see if the boat would fit. There is exactly 8" from the eaves of the house to the starboard float, and 6" from the port to a power pole. We ended up putting a roof over the entire back yard to build the boat. So, there is no possibility of any kind of equipment getting back there. At least until we tear down the shed.
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 19:13   #4219

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomBoatwork View Post
This is a little off topic, but I was hoping I could get a little input. I've finished rebuilding my Universal M50 engine (actually a Kubota V1902 industrial engine that was marinized by Universal) and am getting ready to "drop it in". It's for my Constant Camber 44 footer, and is going on the port side of the centerboard trunk and is shafted back about 19 feet to a Martec two blade folding prop. The controls and the engine readouts are going to be linked to a pedestal wheel with the throttle and transmission controls mounted on the binnacle. My problem is that I've never installed a diesel in a boat before. The Teleflex controls seem pretty straightforward- forward-neutral- reverse and the throttle is slow- fast- and OH MY GAWD! Does anyone have thoughts, tips or really good advice before I go ahead and screw it up on my own. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm still working on how I can roll a 1/4 ton of ridiculously expensive machined steel to my back yard, lift it up some 14 feet in the air, roll it to the center of a 28 foot wide trimaran to CAREFULLY lower it onto the engine support stringers without dropping it through the hull and losing my cool (and religion) in the process.

The problem isn't the weight..... 500 lbs is nothing.... but the distance between possible points of support. 500 pounds hanging 14 feet out is a lot of leverage. The decks will easily support that amount of weight if properly distributed... say sand bags supporting a track of some sort that you could roll the engine on.......... If the mast was in place, it would be a piece of cake. The mast & boom, standing rigging & the chain plates form a superb jib crane..... I can't imagine you having vertical height to put up even a stub to do this from what you describe, but many engines have been lifted out or installed using the mast and boom as a jib crane.

I've done things all my life that people said couldn't be done with the available resources......... If I were there, I would figure a way... that's made my business a success for 35 years. The key is to take your time........ who cares if it takes a day or a week??? Assess your resources, and the structure you have for support... build what you have to build, don't move forward if you aren't confident. Remember that you really are not talking about a lot of weight......... unless you drop it or apply it to a small area... ingenuity will win out...... Impatience will cause a wreck. For me when faced with a situation like this, time considerations go out the window........ I just don't care!

The question in my mind is why does it need to be installed NOW ??? Can you do it with the boat afloat..... or in a boatyard with a crane? That engine will be happy, warm and dry in your garage until it really is needed. None of the systems for a diesel engine are not complex, and they can be laid in more or less........ in advance. You aren't going anywhere until the boat is in the water anyway. Focus on the things that you CAN do to get ready for the big splash maybe....... Don't get in over your head. This a SAIL-boat anyway.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2018, 19:58   #4220

As a crane guy, I agree. Get the boat done, then get a crane that can pick the boat up and put it on a trailer, then put the engine in. But, as a crane guy, I’d bet I’d figure a way to get the engine in without a crane [emoji57]
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 16:09   #4221

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I have a SR 40 with an electric windlass, hauling a Racor 20, and 260 feet of 1/4inch HT chain. I'll send some pics of the installation soon, but I've removed everything from the foredeck and chain locker as I am finishing an overhaul. It's a cool system, unusual in it having the switches mounted on the pulpit to avoid accidental activation of the windlass in rough conditions.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 16:20   #4222

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Ditto. Make a template of the engine motor mounts and the shaft coupling to confirm the engine will line up with the shaft and the engine bed logs. I'll send a pic of the one I built for my Yanmar. When installed, it lined up within 0.004 inches. Perfect.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 00:19   #4223

Boat: Still building

Sheer legs
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 11:11   #4224

Boat: 2008 40' Searunner Trimaran
Rebuilt Doger from 72" to 103"

I stayed with original design, just cut in thrids, placed where they each would be positioned, then connected angle with board. Whole job took several weeks, but turned out fine. Getting ready to put smoked strataglass in this week.
See the pics from the links below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180504_111906.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	384.5 KB
ID:	177503   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180504_111843.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	177504  

Name:	Winginit sailing away.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	177505  
Old 27-09-2018, 09:26   #4225

This is a one time post to this forum of my Searunner 31 A-Frame now listed for sale in the classifieds section.

Some of you may remember her listing from a few years back. Unfortunately the reason for listing then (care of aging parents) quickly overwhelmed us to the point of not even being able to deal with perspective buyers let alone showing the boat.

We have now resurfaced and although we hoped that we would be able to pick up sailing from where we left off, it is not to be. We have not used her in the past couple of seasons but have stayed on top of maintenance so she is still in the condition indicated in the ad/photos, less 2 short seasons of sun on the decks and canvas.

The boat has been relocated some 90mi. east of Toronto to Trenton Ontario and will haul for the season mid. Oct. Lake Ontario is connected to the east coast via the Erie, Hudson canals and the ICW.

She is available for viewing in the water until Oct. 13/18, after which she will be on the hard until May 2019.

The ad in the classifieds has a pdf with full specs, detailed history and photos and video.

Thank you
ChilliB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 05:05   #4226

Boat: Searunner 40

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anybody could give me the dimensions for the 2 fwd. bow nets on a Searunner 40. I measured them before leaving the boat in Mexico but unfortunately lost them somewhere Any idea on good webbing to buy in the US to replace my old ones?
Cheers Wolff
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180531_175549.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	179109   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_163014.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	179110  

Tri Del Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 08:39   #4227

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

I suggest that you consider going to a net supplier - usually for commercial fishing - who have many different kinds of nets. The net I bought has little squares that are only 2" on each side and the soft line used in it is about 1/4" diameter and it has no lumpy knots in its construction so is comfortable to walk or lie on. I believe it is nylon or similar and is long lasting and is often used to contain cargo. It can be stretched into the required shape as needed, but may need to be adjusted after a while. On top of that it is very inexpensive compared to the usual netting used. I am very pleased with it.

Best wishes, Rotten Ricky.
Rotten Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2018, 15:10   #4228

Boat: Searunner, 37

Hey Guys,
My wife and I have a youtube series of rebuilding our Searunner 37 and sailing her from Washington up the coast of British Columbia to, where we currently are, in the San Fransisco bay area. Link below if you wanna check it out. Our channel shows a lot of the work that goes into working on these boats and we had a great tim making them. Also, the boat is currently for sale since we need to return to work. If anyone one is interested in in the boat I'll also link the sailboat listings ad. (38k OBO)
Hope you enjoy,
Spencer & Breena

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCax...Ncgxb06V60SEkw

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/76023
AKscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2018, 20:07   #4229

Boat: Farrier f27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKscamp View Post
Hey Guys,
My wife and I have a youtube series of rebuilding our Searunner 37 and sailing her from Washington up the coast of British Columbia to, where we currently are, in the San Fransisco bay area. Link below if you wanna check it out. Our channel shows a lot of the work that goes into working on these boats and we had a great tim making them. Also, the boat is currently for sale since we need to return to work. If anyone one is interested in in the boat I'll also link the sailboat listings ad. (38k OBO)
Hope you enjoy,
Spencer & Breena

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCax...Ncgxb06V60SEkw

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/76023
How long do you think you'll be around the boat? I'm down in San Diego and would like to check it out.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:11   #4230

Boat: Searunner, 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
How long do you think you'll be around the boat? I'm down in San Diego and would like to check it out.
Shoot me a PM and we can set up a viewing.
Thanks,
AKscamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran