Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 19-03-2017, 05:35   #3556

Oh, so true : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Drew we trimaraners of Cruising World feel for your challenging conditions and the torment you must have at being deprived of the PNW climate of your native Canada. We can only imagine the horror of not needing shirts or shoes.

Up here as spring beckons we are clad in the garb you miss most, lots of layers with a waterproof one on top. I'm appalled at the merciless sun you must cope with. Here we have had 3 days without rain since October and for the second year in a row we have gotten a years worth of rain in just over 5 months. Everything after this is just a bonus!

I know Canada calls and the day will come when you drag your desiccated hide back here to re-hydrate. We noticed that your conditions are so extreme that you even broke up with the hottie because you don't need help keeping you warm at night. With Provinces offering incentives to settlers we can only imagine the horror your government has at your frivolity of playing the field as you pursue the life of a boat bum in paradise.

We are here for you and hope you come to your senses before it is too late. At some point you will remember boats are supposed to be as wet on deck as they are on the bottom. Can't wait for that spring cruise in our PNW paradise where we don't have to wear green for St. Paddy's day because of the moss growing between our toes, Cheers!
Oh, so true. Only place worse might be ... uh, SE Asia ... except for the rain : )

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 18:55   #3557

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

At least there is one thing to remind you of home. My condolences for your suffering.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 22:23   #3558

Before I forget, remember you will have to rig a uphaul line before a haul out Drew. I'm sure you know but too much sun can have an effect.
Old 01-04-2017, 20:22   #3559

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Well, it's haulout time, again, for WILDERNESS. My timing was a bit awkward as I had disabled the engine and steering systems for overhaul, then had some health issues, and then won a haulout in a charity auction, but had to use it by a due date, so I had the boat towed to the yard. Still, it gave me the opportunity to sand the underwater sections of the hulls, very smooth, and repair some dings caused by kids sailing their race boats into me on the end tie. A vulnerable spot, but beautiful and easy to access, and supremely protected in heavy storms, which we've had several this winter.

As part of the haulout activities I perform each time, I disassemble and service the three Groco seawater intake valves on my boat. The forward valve is a half-inch for the head intake. The center valve, a one-inch unit with an integral seawater basket strainer for the engine intake. The aft valve is a three quarter inch unit for the galley sink and refrigerator/freezer heat exchanger. I chose the Grocos because they can be disassembled and serviced, as opposed to the current valves which are simply replaced when they start to fail. Good thing, too, since I found an issue with the tie rods on the sea strainer unit. They were fabricated out of brass(an alloy of copper and zinc) in contrast to everything else on these valves which are machined bronze castings (an allow of copper and tin). The basket screen, the center tie rod and the four machine screws holding the basket assembly to the valve assembly are all monel (an alloy of copper and nickel). The gaskets are still available, so I found some 1/4 inch bronze rod, cut a couple pieces 6 inches long and threaded the ends with a 1/4-20 die. Bingo, back in action.

For those on the West Coast, Marine Group in San Diego is an excellent place to haul out. It's cheaper than Driscoll's facility on Shelter Island. Marine Group has two facilities, both south of the Coronado Bridge. I went to the National City yard that can handle a thirty foot beam. I don't know the maximum beam of their largest TravelLift, but they hauled a 100 foot catamaran last week. My beam is 24 feet.

I have gone back to using ProLine 1088 copper paint, 66% copper, hard racing finish. I tried an experimental water-based paint, made also by ProLine ( a San Diego company) but it didn't do anywhere as well in longevity or effectiveness.

Click on the image to enlarge it. You can see that the weight of the hulls is bearing on the minikeel, and that the supports fitted to the underwings at the mainstrength bulkheads allow for full access to everything but a portion of the minikeel, which gets sanded and painted at launch while in the slings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170401_113445490.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	144481  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 20:46   #3560

I was wondering what happened to you Roy, for sure through hulls can be the bane of boaters. Fortunately I don't have any which saves time with Coast Guard safety inspections. Just back from spring break sailing and within minutes of leaving we were boarded for the 2nd time within a year. Apparently lots of foreign objects with street value get caught in hoses for heads and engines so they are among the first things checked for safety. I hand the mechanics the stack of prior inspections , explain the lack of plumbing, bilges etc... point out the garbage and co2 stickers along with the due date on the flares, fine print on life jackets without bringing out the big guns like immersion suits etc....

I'd like to think they are happy for my safe boating prep but they start pouting as soon as they hear about the lack of through hulls. We never leave these guys unattended.

We actually had 2 days in a row without rain here, still in shock and suspicious. Get some sailing in, life is not all yard work and tows!
Old 01-04-2017, 20:55   #3561

Here's a pdf on the strainer: https://www.groco.net/media/file/fil...svs-series.pdf
Old 02-04-2017, 05:11   #3562

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Well, it's haulout time, again, for WILDERNESS. My timing was a bit awkward as I had disabled the engine and steering systems for overhaul, then had some health issues, and then won a haulout in a charity auction, but had to use it by a due date, so I had the boat towed to the yard. Still, it gave me the opportunity to sand the underwater sections of the hulls, very smooth, and repair some dings caused by kids sailing their race boats into me on the end tie. A vulnerable spot, but beautiful and easy to access, and supremely protected in heavy storms, which we've had several this winter.

As part of the haulout activities I perform each time, I disassemble and service the three Groco seawater intake valves on my boat. The forward valve is a half-inch for the head intake. The center valve, a one-inch unit with an integral seawater basket strainer for the engine intake. The aft valve is a three quarter inch unit for the galley sink and refrigerator/freezer heat exchanger. I chose the Grocos because they can be disassembled and serviced, as opposed to the current valves which are simply replaced when they start to fail. Good thing, too, since I found an issue with the tie rods on the sea strainer unit. They were fabricated out of brass(an alloy of copper and zinc) in contrast to everything else on these valves which are machined bronze castings (an allow of copper and tin). The basket screen, the center tie rod and the four machine screws holding the basket assembly to the valve assembly are all monel (an alloy of copper and nickel). The gaskets are still available, so I found some 1/4 inch bronze rod, cut a couple pieces 6 inches long and threaded the ends with a 1/4-20 die. Bingo, back in action.

For those on the West Coast, Marine Group in San Diego is an excellent place to haul out. It's cheaper than Driscoll's facility on Shelter Island. Marine Group has two facilities, both south of the Coronado Bridge. I went to the National City yard that can handle a thirty foot beam. I don't know the maximum beam of their largest TravelLift, but they hauled a 100 foot catamaran last week. My beam is 24 feet.

I have gone back to using ProLine 1088 copper paint, 66% copper, hard racing finish. I tried an experimental water-based paint, made also by ProLine ( a San Diego company) but it didn't do anywhere as well in longevity or effectiveness.

Click on the image to enlarge it. You can see that the weight of the hulls is bearing on the minikeel, and that the supports fitted to the underwings at the mainstrength bulkheads allow for full access to everything but a portion of the minikeel, which gets sanded and painted at launch while in the slings.
Hi Roy,
Hope you are doing OK after those health issues... I'm dealing with a few
myself. "Getting old's not for sissies"!

Boat ownership, especially our Searunners, is not for the faint of heart. Seems like they own us sometimes.

Delphys is turning 21 this month, and holding up quite well, but the Dodger needed a complete RE-fit, so I removed it and have it in my shop.
The yellowed and crazed Lexan is removed, as are the Lewmar overhead hatches. (The Lexan has held up better than the Acrylic in the hatches, but both are shot)...

The hatches' plastic parts were about shot as well, so I bought replacements rather than buy only the lenses. (old model unavailable) Of course, the same size hatch is now totally different, with a slightly different footprint, and totally different screw hole pattern. The hinges are different as well.
One improvement of note, is that Lewmar has switched to offering press fit/gasketed in replacement lenses, WITHOUT caulking them in, but this is the new models, not my old ones. The old screw holes in the Dodger have to be filled...

One thing I will do differently this time, is this... Because of the crown of the Dodger exceeding spec for the hatches 1 mm, (and one hatch had developed a leak once), I will create a flat spot!

This entails using 3M 471 blue plastic tape under the hatch, and masking it and the NON bearing surfaces around the Dodger holes. Then I will bed these hatches with a press fit only, using thickened epoxy.

The 471 tape will not stick to epoxy, so after it sets up, I will pop the hatches off, and will have a new "flat" hole to mount them in later with caulk.

(My other two Lewmars on the cabin top never failed), due to FAR less crown up front, and having created a flat hole in the back. Thick caulk lines, over 1mm, work for a few years, maybe 10, but will fail!

After repairing a few splits in the ply edges in the port holes, she gets an inside and out re-paint. The underside paint is 21 years old, and I had not discovered the advantage of GRAY PRIMER then, so it has developed "epoxy shrink cracks" in the old "white primered" paint.

Then... I will replace the front and side port Lexan with the latest and best "MR10"! (it is vastly superior in UV and scuff resistance) We will go on a car trip next weekend (1,100 miles round trip), to pick up a sheet, because it is unavailable near us. This is expensive stuff!!! Retail is around $700, but I found a deal.

We will bed it as before, with SilPruf Silicone, which IS still available. It gives 45 minutes of work time, unlike any other caulk, and WE NEED IT on this installation.
The old caulk had held up perfectly!

Since this dodger is my nicest piece, I want this to turn out well. It may take all summer.

While it is off, I need to paint in the cockpit cabin top, and around the dodger footprint, which is also 21 year old paint.

Otherwise... Last Summer I decided to move Delphys to a friend's private dock in an INCREDIBLY protected creek. It is VERY peaceful there.
I re-built the dock, re-plumbed it, re-wired it, and added dock rub rail rubber, cleats, lights, and a park bench! Delphys loves her new digs.

Hang in there Roy. I know your re-build is daunting, but these WEST/LP Searunners are rare, and well worth it.
IMO... the Searunner is still the most totally developed and perfected "cruising" multihull out there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA010454.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	144488  
Old 02-04-2017, 15:38   #3563

I'm ready for launching tomorrow morning. The last time was four years ago, and I waited until now to get rid of the ecological, yet useless after two years, water based paint using zinc and a natural plant extract as the active agents. Useless. I'll be hauling out again later in the year when I'm more prepared, but this was a productive experience. I want to install some gear and repaint the boot top, but I didn't have time, energy or resources this go-around.
Old 02-04-2017, 16:04   #3564

Boat: Seafarer,Atlantic,30

What price will you be asking for your Marples?
2Tall2Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:27   #3565

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Hi everyone.
Been busy enjoying the waters around the Hauraki Gulf. Places that everyone would dream about. But soon me too.... its time to put some paint on this Searunner of mine and im not really looking forward to it. I like to sail and get out and about. But finally gotta do some work on her. Hopefully its just a few weeks and I don't want years like you Roy. Nice boat but wow your dedicated man!
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 19:34   #3566

Tomorrow I'm painting the cockpit. It's been a while coming, as I added lockers, pulled the steering pedestal for re-powder coating, and have purchased all new engine instruments. Fortunately, the weather in San Diego has been its usual loveliness so my living without companionway hatches is merely entertaining. I should be able to close up by this weekend. But all of this means that soon I will be able to run the engine and to steer the boat. Which means I can get the boat to the boatyard to pull the stick and begin that phase of the overhaul. We're moving forward again after a too-long hiatus. It feels really good.
Old 19-04-2017, 20:22   #3567

Good for you Roy, spring is late getting here but I've got projects lined up to happen between some sailing.
Old 22-04-2017, 22:27   #3568

Boat: Jim Brown Searunner 37`

Hi Guys and Gals,

Its been a while since I posted but I've dropped in occasionally. I love that this community is so active and helpful.

I've moved ashore and Pegasos is for sale ... not the reason for this post. In the act of getting stuff together (and now that I have awesome fast internet!) I've put more footage up on my searunner youtube page. Including a spinacker run which reading recent posts looks like I was doing all wrong or at least could do better.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjg...dBGUzxHZqSEydw

Just sharing here for prosterity.

cheers

Jon
sassarassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 10:54   #3569

Boat: Islander 34

hello from Isla Espiritu Santo, Baja California Sur, Mexico!
Old 26-04-2017, 01:55   #3570

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Way to go Drew23. Pic of a lifetime. Maybe from a Drone. Nice shot of the lines of the boat
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran