Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 05:51   #3541

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbat View Post
Looking forward to splashing next week! 4.5 year restoration.
Well, Dan, is the bottom wet?

Cheers,
Old 16-03-2017, 09:30   #3542

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJOHara View Post
Very nice CaptRyan, thanks for sharing.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 18:03   #3543

Boat: Islander 34

hey - ever since tossing out my old, swollen, delaminated centerboard and shaping and glassing a shiny new one, I've been loving the fact that I don't have to haul a line to swing the board up into the trunk anymore... it's buoyant on its own, and fits in the trunk without (much) friction, so it floats itself up!

...but I have these two lines... well, technically it's one line, run in a loop through block at both ends of the centerboard trunk, then up the mast, where it really - well, really doesn't do anything. I used to make the staysail halyard winch do double-duty as the centerboard winch, but now I can just pull the line by hand and the board goes up and down.

it's not ideal. can you guys post some pics or descriptions of how your centerboard lines are rigged? I think I'd like to put a turning block on the mast, so the down-swing line comes up from the trunk to the turning block, then down to a line grabber or cleat or something... open to ideas.
Old 17-03-2017, 04:12   #3544

Boat: 2008 40' Searunner Trimaran

We also have a buoyant, composition canter board. We have a hatch cover over the trunk that slides to the side and allows us to pull a line to bring it down and then we lock the line in a block located inside the trunk. If we yank the line out of the teeth, the center board just floats up, or if we hit bottom, 100lbs of torque will release it automatically and we can hear it whoosh up. If we get into less than 2 1/2 feet, the rudder with touch bottom and also will release, then it's like...kill the engine quickly.

I have no idea why the line goes up your mast. Our line comes through a hole in the cover, so we never risk losing the line.
Capt.Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 04:24   #3545

We also have a buoyant, composition canter board. We have a hatch cover over the trunk that slides to the side and allows us to pull a line to bring it down and then we lock the line in a block located inside the trunk. If we yank the line out of the teeth, the center board just floats up, or if we hit bottom, 100lbs of torque will release it automatically and we can hear it whoosh up. If we get into less than 2 1/2 feet, the rudder with touch bottom and also will release, then it's like...kill the engine quickly.

I have no idea why the line goes up your mast. Our line comes through a hole in the cover, so we never risk losing the line.
Capt.Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 10:02   #3546

ahh, interesting - my centerboard trunk does not have a cover, most of it (except the portions covered by the mast and the binnacle) is open to the sky. mostly because I haven't ever gotten around to designing/building a cover that I'm happy about.

oh, my lines don't go *up* my mast... I just meant they come out of the centerboard trunk at the approximate location of the mast, and travel up and parallel to the mast for about five feet before looping back down and into the trunk. let me draw a picture:

your block located in the trunk is the sort of thing I was looking to hear about, but what do you do with the excess line once the board is completely deployed?

I was thinking a turning block about three feet up the mast, then a figure-eight cleat below it, then loop the excess line and hang it from the cleat.

my turning block at the aft end of my centerboard has a "fuse", in that it's just tied in place with a bit of paracord... hitting something big or running aground will break the paracord long before it will break the centerboard or the turning block. cheap and cheerful.
Old 17-03-2017, 10:23   #3547

I'm heading over to the boat in a few minutes, I'll try and snap a couple pics while I'm there and post them. I does seems like a danger for you to have an open trunk. In a moment of commotion, the chance of losing your footing and slipping into it... anyway, once our board is drawn down, I simply drop the line on top of the centerboard and slide the cover back over it. It is designed quite differently than yours, at least as far as the line goes.
Old 17-03-2017, 10:49   #3548

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
ahh, interesting - my centerboard trunk does not have a cover, most of it (except the portions covered by the mast and the binnacle) is open to the sky. mostly because I haven't ever gotten around to designing/building a cover that I'm happy about.

oh, my lines don't go *up* my mast... I just meant they come out of the centerboard trunk at the approximate location of the mast, and travel up and parallel to the mast for about five feet before looping back down and into the trunk. let me draw a picture:

your block located in the trunk is the sort of thing I was looking to hear about, but what do you do with the excess line once the board is completely deployed?

I was thinking a turning block about three feet up the mast, then a figure-eight cleat below it, then loop the excess line and hang it from the cleat.

my turning block at the aft end of my centerboard has a "fuse", in that it's just tied in place with a bit of paracord... hitting something big or running aground will break the paracord long before it will break the centerboard or the turning block. cheap and cheerful.
Mine was the same High Tech. release.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:51   #3549

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Hey Drew, I wonder if they led the line up the mast to get double duty out of a halyard winch? As to keeping the slot open, covered with a grate it can still act as a cockpit drain which Jim Brown mentions. I don't see why you couldn't set it up wherever it is most convenient.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 14:07   #3550

well, I just simplified things I removed the forwardmost turning block and unfastened the uphaul line from the centerboard, and I added a figure-eight cleat to the mast about two feet off the deck. problem solved.

while I was down there I added a six-inch chunk of 1-1/2" water hose to the forward end of the centerboard trunk, so if the center board gets released suddenly (like an impact that breaks the "fuse") there's a big bumper for it to hit, instead of slamming against the trunk.

I'd like to cover the centerboard trunk, but to date I haven't found a material that I like enough to do it - it's gotta be very thin, sturdy, have holes (not too small, not too big)... the plywood covers that were on TIE Fighter when I bought her were rotted and falling apart. I've seen some nice aluminum ones, but haven't found a source for stock.

anyway. onwards. next project: reinstall the bilge pump in the forwardmost (i.e. head) bilge...

(I'm currently lying at anchor in Punto Chivato, Baja - been here for a few days now, no real urge to move... solar panels are providing all the juice I need to run the fridge and computers and electronics and radios, and I'm finishing up a bunch of boat-improvement projects. currently making water, lots of propane in the tanks, lots of food in the pantry... I haven't put on a shirt or shoes in six days! friends coming this weekend to cruise Bahía Concepción tho, so it's getting time to start putting away the tools and cleaning up for guests...)
Old 17-03-2017, 15:13   #3551

my very cool unfinished, trailerable, folding Marples 35 trimaran will be coming up for sale shortly.
brand new mast, 5 brand new sails, rudder,daggerboard built, interior finished, except galley. r2akteamgoldenoldies
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 18:23   #3552

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew23 View Post
well, I just simplified things .......

(I'm currently lying at anchor in Punto Chivato, Baja - been here for a few days now, no real urge to move... solar panels are providing all the juice I need to run the fridge and computers and electronics and radios, and I'm finishing up a bunch of boat-improvement projects. currently making water, lots of propane in the tanks, lots of food in the pantry... I haven't put on a shirt or shoes in six days! friends coming this weekend to cruise Bahía Concepción tho, so it's getting time to start putting away the tools and cleaning up for guests...)
Drew we trimaraners of Cruising World feel for your challenging conditions and the torment you must have at being deprived of the PNW climate of your native Canada. We can only imagine the horror of not needing shirts or shoes.

Up here as spring beckons we are clad in the garb you miss most, lots of layers with a waterproof one on top. I'm appalled at the merciless sun you must cope with. Here we have had 3 days without rain since October and for the second year in a row we have gotten a years worth of rain in just over 5 months. Everything after this is just a bonus!

I know Canada calls and the day will come when you drag your desiccated hide back here to re-hydrate. We noticed that your conditions are so extreme that you even broke up with the hottie because you don't need help keeping you warm at night. With Provinces offering incentives to settlers we can only imagine the horror your government has at your frivolity of playing the field as you pursue the life of a boat bum in paradise.

We are here for you and hope you come to your senses before it is too late. At some point you will remember boats are supposed to be as wet on deck as they are on the bottom. Can't wait for that spring cruise in our PNW paradise where we don't have to wear green for St. Paddy's day because of the moss growing between our toes, Cheers!
Old 18-03-2017, 04:36   #3553
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Love the post CAV! It may have to be Mexico for me as well here pretty soon. Though the weather is fine enough here.
Old 18-03-2017, 09:22   #3554

Hang in there Jeff!
Old 18-03-2017, 14:24   #3555

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihuler View Post
my very cool unfinished, trailerable, folding Marples 35 trimaran will be coming up for sale shortly.
brand new mast, 5 brand new sails, rudder,daggerboard built, interior finished, except galley. r2akteamgoldenoldies
John custom designed swing wings for this Marples 35, this allows her to be trailered after she is disassembled and of course under 14ft at the dock/haulout
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran