Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 13-10-2016, 17:34   #3481

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

If anyone is interested..........

I have a Constant Camber mold available. It is an F-6 mold in great shape. Almost done with it. Located in York, Maine.

Available free of charge.

Cheers.
w32honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 08:26   #3482

Phantom,

Curious what your choice and solution for water tanks was? Material? And location of install?

I think it is nice to leave the bilge free of "stuff." But it is nice to have that amount of weight as low as possible. Just curious........??

Same goes for fuel tank. Maybe a slightly smaller tank installed under a cockpit seat. Easily accessed and gravity feed (a lot less suction feed anyway) for the motor. But again the weight problem.......??

Just thinking ahead and trying to plan. Want to avoid the "shoulda, woulda, coulda."

Thanks in advance. Awesome job by the way. And thanks for posting the pics and the blog. I have been curious about the net install..........size of PVC and how to cut the notches....etc. Very helpful.
Old 16-10-2016, 09:02   #3483

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
Phantom,

Curious what your choice and solution for water tanks was? Material? And location of install?

I think it is nice to leave the bilge free of "stuff." But it is nice to have that amount of weight as low as possible. Just curious........??

Same goes for fuel tank. Maybe a slightly smaller tank installed under a cockpit seat. Easily accessed and gravity feed (a lot less suction feed anyway) for the motor. But again the weight problem.......??l
Here's an idea uou may want to consider. Bladder water tanks that are collapsible and installed under the mast support in the bilge. Perfect place for the weight. I have one on either side with a hose connected to a foot pump in the galley (no electric pump needed). Pretty easy to remove and clean when/if necessary. Attached pic showing water inlet hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STBD REMOVABLE WATER TANKS.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	132946  
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 09:11   #3484

Nice!! I like it. Any chaff issues?
Old 16-10-2016, 10:07   #3485

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by w32honu View Post
Nice!! I like it. Any chaff issues?
Nope. The bladder just expands or retracts as water is put in or pumped out. My bladders are lined and hermetically sealed. They came with the boat so I don't know where the builder got them except from France where it was built.

If I were to make or have them made I would be thinking of EPDM rubber.

Side note: I just ordered some liquid EPDM. Am thinking to line my forward and stern anchor wet lockers with it. That's really the only place where water tends to sit.

J
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2016, 11:34   #3486

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Since that particular location is on the forward half of the centerboard trunk, and supports the transfer of load from the centerboard, through the trunk, to the frames and hullside via the trapezoidal hatched floorboard, it is under compressive load when needed. So, as long as the floorboard is anchored well to transfer those loads, you can make it removable, and install polyethylene rigid tanks, all the complex or simple plumbing you need, then secure the floorboard for full integrity. That's how mine are set up. When I have to remove the centerboard, I drain the tanks, pull them out to expose the centerboard axle, and remove the pipe cap that allows removal of the axle. Easy and elegant.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:34   #3487

Bob Dixon may have been something back in the day, but I have found him to be a sexist swindler. We commissioned him for a project and agreed on a price a year and a half ago. He is at 150% of his estimated price and demanding more money. He can't provide any justification, receipts or billed hours. I'm stuck here with a half-@$$3d project and no recourse. Avoid dealing with Bob Dixon.
Ankyrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 08:50   #3488
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Is Bob Dixon, someone involved with searunners we should know? Never heard of him. Familiar with a yacht designer named Dixon, not sure his name is Bob.
Old 17-10-2016, 08:57   #3489

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankyrios View Post
Bob Dixon may have been something back in the day, but I have found him to be a sexist swindler. We commissioned him for a project and agreed on a price a year and a half ago. He is at 150% of his estimated price and demanding more money. He can't provide any justification, receipts or billed hours. I'm stuck here with a half-@$$3d project and no recourse. Avoid dealing with Bob Dixon.
What on earth is a sexist swindler?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 09:05   #3490

I was looking for information about him online and came across a number of references to this amazing sailor and fabricator. Wanted anyone who did a similar search to have some recent information about him.
Old 17-10-2016, 09:07   #3491

sex·ism (sĕk′sĭz′əm)
n.
1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.
2. The belief that one gender is superior to the other, especially that men are superior to women.

swin·dle (swĭn′dl)
v. swin·dled, swin·dling, swin·dles
v.tr.
1. To cheat or defraud of money or property.
2. To obtain by fraudulent means: swindled money from the company.
v.intr.
To practice fraud as a means of obtaining money or property.
n.
The act or an instance of swindling.
Old 17-10-2016, 09:30   #3492

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	403.4 KB
ID:	133026

This was a brutal summer with continuous leak problems, and various other little things that needed to be taken care of: batteries (280 pounds of them) relocated to the bilge where the old diesel was, numerous repairs to the centerboard trunk, new bilge pumps both electric and manual, repainted starboard ama, repainted the bottom, new running lights, new jib halyard, new cleats on the ama bows, anchor roller installed, dinghy painted, all the extra "stuff" off loaded, vhf radio installed, chart plotter installed, dual steering stations completed along with the new steering system, shrouds and stays tightened and lock wired, fresh water tank leak fixed, etc, etc.

Which led me to being on the hard for one more winter. I drifted into hurricane season and decided it would be safer to wait until next summer to launch the boat. So, I bit the bullet and sent Hinckley Yacht Services a check for another winter season of storage (ouch!)

The boat really wants to go sailing. Now the plan will be to launch in June 2017 (May is an impossible time to launch at Hinckley, every boat in RI wants to go in the water that month) then sail the boat to Florida. I have crew for Newport, RI to Norfolk, VA (via New York City) then I will be alone from Norfolk to Tampa. I expect the trip to take 5-6 weeks. The long solo trip is a bucket list thing and I am looking forward to it.
Old 17-10-2016, 09:39   #3493

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
sex·ism (sĕk′sĭz′əm)
n.
1. Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.
2. The belief that one gender is superior to the other, especially that men are superior to women.

swin·dle (swĭn′dl)
v. swin·dled, swin·dling, swin·dles
v.tr.
1. To cheat or defraud of money or property.
2. To obtain by fraudulent means: swindled money from the company.
v.intr.
To practice fraud as a means of obtaining money or property.
n.
The act or an instance of swindling.
I didn't really need a def. of sexist. I figured you must be female. I feel like you are using that as a crutch. Swindler maybe? If so, would probably be non discrimatory. Would probably screw anybody?

Naivety may be the larger issue. Sorry if I am crass but have known many men that could find their ass mechanically and might be in the same position.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2016, 10:52   #3494

Quote:
Bob Dixon - I have found him to be a sexist swindler.
I know Bob Dixon and I don't think he is a Sexy Swinger at all, He's kind of a hairy, little guy...
Old 17-10-2016, 11:53   #3495

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Bob Dixon, for those who care, is a guy. I have known very well for over thirty years. He has More multihull sea miles than anyone I know. I've crewed with him on YANMAR ENDEAVOUR, setting the record for a diesel powered outboard transit from San Francisco to Honolulu, he has worked on many of the fastest multi in the world, he has survived more capsizes than anyone I know. I have worked with him on multiple projects, both marine and fanciful. I also know more about this complaint than the complainant is revealing. Suffice it to say there is more to this than a simple misunderstanding. And give me a break, a bid a year and a half ago? Something else is in operation here. I stand with Bob. Thanks.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran