Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2015, 11:14   #3211

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Just out of curiousity. Does anyone have a lead on the Cadence a 31 Sunrunner. I donated to a non profit in Ft. Myers Fl.?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 15:08   #3212
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

We have just become the owners of a Searunner.....but she's a catamaran! She's a Searunner 38 designed by John Marples and built in constant camber by Jaynes Marine. The exterior is complete, but the interior needs to be finished. She was located in Beaufort North Carolina so we were very lucky to have Mark Johnson nearby to do a great structural survey which gave us peace of mind. She will remain out of the water in NC until we are able to take some time to head up there to work on her. She sailed very well during the sea trial and the motion was superb.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441750086.837101.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	108662Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441750105.388332.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	108663

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 15:23   #3213

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We have just become the owners of a Searunner.....but she's a catamaran! She's a Searunner 38 designed by John Marples and built in constant camber by Jaynes Marine. The exterior is complete, but the interior needs to be finished. She was located in Beaufort North Carolina so we were very lucky to have Mark Johnson nearby to do a great structural survey which gave us peace of mind. She will remain out of the water in NC until we are able to take some time to head up there to work on her. She sailed very well during the sea trial and the motion was superb.Attachment 108662Attachment 108663

She looks sweet. Best of luck,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 16:10   #3214

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We have just become the owners of a Searunner.....but she's a catamaran! She's a Searunner 38 designed by John Marples and built in constant camber by Jaynes Marine. The exterior is complete, but the interior needs to be finished. She was located in Beaufort North Carolina so we were very lucky to have Mark Johnson nearby to do a great structural survey which gave us peace of mind. She will remain out of the water in NC until we are able to take some time to head up there to work on her. She sailed very well during the sea trial and the motion was superb.Attachment 108662Attachment 108663

Yes indeed, she does look sweet! Simple, clean lines. Nice find!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 16:29   #3215
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Was on the market for quite some time. Strange they entirely finished the exterior whilst the interior was nearly bare.
Old 08-09-2015, 16:57   #3216
smj

Thanks, I think she will be a sweet ride. I don't think the owner realized the cost of building a custom boat so got out of the game.

Old 08-09-2015, 17:21   #3217
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Was on the market for quite some time. Strange they entirely finished the exterior whilst the interior was nearly bare.

She's been on the market since December. A tiller steered, outboard powered, wooden, uncompleted catamaran without standing headroom in the salon won't appeal to probably 99% of the current buyers in the market. She appealed to us because she is simple, well built and unfinished. We can complete her as we see fit. She was completed to the point that she was sailable and ready for the interior. New mast, rigging, Hydranet sails, canvas and outboard, now only quite a few hours and some $'s left to go.
Did I mention she sailed at close to windspeed under working sails on her sea trials?:-)

Old 08-09-2015, 17:35   #3218
Marine Service Provider

Looks ready for some hull extensions already from those pics.
Old 08-09-2015, 18:07   #3219

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Congrats, she looks great.
If you're going to be in N.C. around Halloween give me a shout. We should be in Southport with Mandolin for the Stede Bonnet Regatta (and party).
Lots of fun.
Like to meet up if you have the chance.
Mike
Old 08-09-2015, 18:17   #3220
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Congrats, she looks great.
If you're going to be in N.C. around Halloween give me a shout. We should be in Southport with Mandolin for the Stede Bonnet Regatta (and party).
Lots of fun.
Like to meet up if you have the chance.
Mike

Thanks Mike, and would love to meet up with you but I'm getting ready to build a couple of houses on Galveston island. We won't make it up to NC until next spring, so hopefully we will be heading south next fall.

Old 08-09-2015, 18:22   #3221
smj

Quote:
Looks ready for some hull extensions already from those pics.

Probably not. She was designed as a 36'er and the builder already added 2' to the sterns. She is definitely stern heavy or probably more accurate bow light at the moment. She has maintained her designed draft but the bows are floating high. All this will be taken into consideration as we consider our options on how to complete her.

Old 08-09-2015, 19:48   #3222
Marine Service Provider

I guess it's hard to tell from the photos (bow only looks maybe 4-5" out), but overall looks to be sitting fairly low considering how lightly equipped? Looks like she'll be extremely light on payload. With light gear, but fully finished interior (2 outboards) my boat was nearly 8" clear in the stern and 6" in the bow.
Old 08-09-2015, 20:52   #3223
smj

Quote:
I guess it's hard to tell from the photos (bow only looks maybe 4-5" out), but overall looks to be sitting fairly low considering how lightly equipped? Looks like she'll be extremely light on payload. With light gear, but fully finished interior (2 outboards) my boat was nearly 8" clear in the stern and 6" in the bow.

The bottom paint on the bows sit about 7" out of the water, and the sterns about 3". If the water was at the top of the bottom paint her draft would be 2'-8". The designed draft is supposed to be 2'-6", so we are definitely above that at this point. For every 900 lbs. she should immerse 1", so if we keep the finish light, which we plan to, she should float well on her lines. During the sea trial we were making 9-10 kts on a close reach in 10-12 kts off wind. Dead down wind in the same wind speed we were sailing at 7 kts. All with full main and 110% working jib. Not bad for an out of tune rig, rudders that weren't even close to parallel and a bunch of clowns sailing her.
If your boat is floating 6"-8" above designed waterline, I would suggest Richard Woods should check his design figures. Either that or you used helium as your core!

Old 09-09-2015, 05:03   #3224
Marine Service Provider

That's right. My boat has a 3500 lb payload. Rate of immersion is less than than yours closer to 700/lb. and the comment applied to a semi comparable state with little additional gear on board, no arch, solar, windless etc. but all cushions fully galley stove, batteries and 2 engines fitted. The "coastal" equipment adds around 1000 pounds. Then you have the cruising payload on top of that.

We've double checked all calculations by beating all other cats boat for boat but a Crowther 42 in Georgetown racing with $800 with of used sails!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:19   #3225
Marine Service Provider

Looks like a neat boat with good bunk space. Let me know if you're stopping in St Augustine later this year.

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran