Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 21-02-2015, 12:32   #2986

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Roy,

It must feel good to be able to keep working and making progress. My boat is buried with 2' of snow on the deck and bigger drifts all around it on the ground.
I did get two new winches installed today in the 15 degree weather but that is all I got done before my feet got too cold.

We are looking forward to seeing the pictures.

John B.
Old 21-02-2015, 16:11   #2987

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

"Yes me too I would like to see some pics Roy of what you've been up to"

"Wilderness" shall be a very capable and comfortable trimaran and will be amazing to see her sailing on the big blue.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 16:21   #2988

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Thanks guys, it was getting a bit lonely on this thread. Most everyone in the Northern Hemisphere is hunkered down trying to stay warm. Two feet of snow???? Much of the Great Lakes is frozen, and a picture of the waters in the Hudson River at Manhatten showed ice flows. I'm especially happy that Daylight Savings time begins in two weeks, and I can sneak in an additional hour or two in the coming months. I'll start sending pics next week. I just want to clean up some stuff first. It will be worth the wait. Keep warm and keep dreaming of summer (except for you, Ross, you're already enjoying it).
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 06:17   #2989

Yup, two feet. It was supposed to rain today, but, it is snowing. I still may go to the boat and install the new steering wheels. It is hard to get the gumption up to go in this weather, however, like Roy said daylight savings time is around the corner which means the end of my winter storage contract is around the corner. I can't afford another summer contract so the boat will be launched in June. Hopefully all the snow will melt by then.

I hope to retire sometime this summer so there will be a delivery south on the ICW. That could be a quick trip or a loooonnng trip since being retired I won't have a deadline. I'm going to keep the boat in Tampa. Right now I'm trying to get a permit to put in a mooring in Apollo Beach. There is an anchorage there with a number of moorings but it seems the local government has never issued a permit for a mooring there. No one is sure what the process is. This should be another interesting adventure.

For now,
Old 22-02-2015, 08:37   #2990

Congratulations, John! Retirement is everything it's touted to be. Except for needing more money. I'm going to have to pick up a couple jobs in coming months to accommodate some extra spending. But not having to please anyone but myself is soooo satisfying.

Well, I'm off to strip masking tape and paint deck hatches, all so I can take some pics and send them off to you guys next week.
Old 22-02-2015, 09:01   #2991

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewett_john View Post
Yup, two feet. It was supposed to rain today, but, it is snowing. I still may go to the boat and install the new steering wheels. It is hard to get the gumption up to go in this weather, however, like Roy said daylight savings time is around the corner which means the end of my winter storage contract is around the corner. I can't afford another summer contract so the boat will be launched in June. Hopefully all the snow will melt by then.

I hope to retire sometime this summer so there will be a delivery south on the ICW. That could be a quick trip or a loooonnng trip since being retired I won't have a deadline. I'm going to keep the boat in Tampa. Right now I'm trying to get a permit to put in a mooring in Apollo Beach. There is an anchorage there with a number of moorings but it seems the local government has never issued a permit for a mooring there. No one is sure what the process is. This should be another interesting adventure.

For now,
It seems private moorings are becoming a thing of the past. I guess it is because the municipalities end up having to deal with to many hulks. It would be nice if they issued the permits but I can understand their point.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 17:43   #2992

Boat: Searunner 31

I am looking to replace the running backstays and removable inner forestay on my Searunner 31' trimaran with dux. I have successfully (though not beautifully) spliced 12 strand Amsteel and Dyneema lines for halyards, trampoline lacing lines and loupes, and I think I might be ready to try the real thing.

The mast is off the boat for the winter and maybe I should just ship the wires to a rigger familiar with dux for a professionally made replacement set. What do you think?

The backstays are 1/4" 1x19 stainless. They attach to mast tangs at the upper spreaders with swaged terminators. At the lower end the 1x19 wire terminates in stay-loc fittings that attach to snap shackles, which in turn attach above deck level to crimped eyes in 7x19 wire that apply tension from a binding lever via 2 blocks and a turnbuckle. This is pretty much the rig specified in the plans for the 31 A-frame.

The inner (removable) forestay has an adjustment turnbuckle at the top and attaches through a short wire pennant at deck level to a quick-release lever. Again - standard.

Since I rarely sail as a cutter, I would prefer to replace the whole complex system with a single deadeye arrangement tensioned by the binder lever, but fear the potential for error. Accordingly, I am thinking of a straight replacement for my 1x19 backstays and for my 7x19 forestay. The rig is correctly set up tension-wise with the current arrangement, so a simple replica in Dux should be about right.

I have already replaced the big forestay with wire, and plan to stay with wire for the main stays and shrouds.

What do you all think of dux for runners?
What would I need to buy, and how should I buy it?
Should I just buy a set of Coligo emergency shrouds and adjust on my own?
Would it be difficult to replace not only the 1x19 backstay but also the 7x19 tensioning rig with a deadeye arrangement? I think I could do it with a single length of Dux if I could find a fitting that would work as a very strong snatch block.

Anyway - thoughts most welcome whilst the winter lasts.
Old 22-02-2015, 21:17   #2993

Will, while I enjoy learning how to do everything I can, sometimes I have to consider how much time I would actually spend doing a single element of my own boat's work. For example, how much time would I spend making up the rigging, doing all the post splice treatment, and feeling absolute confidence in the final product. For my rigging, I will have a professional, one who does a LOT of work with Dux, make up the running backs and other related rigging. I will, as you, be using stainless for a number of my shrouds and stays. I'll also be using Dux where I can to save weight. I hope to pull my stick in a few months and completely overhaul it, new modern sheaves, new LPU, radar, cutter rig accessories, and a bunch of other mods. I'm working with an old friend, a semi-retired rigger named Fritz Richardson, here in San Diego. I traded him my older electronics for his own boat, so that he would work with me to achieve as much as I can using my existing mast and boom, but with modern upgrades. I'll be sharing some of the stuff we do when that time rolls around. This is going to be fun. I never used my rig in cutter mode, but now I have roller furlers for both the genny and a staysail, though I may also convert to a yankee for the headstay. I will be getting another, used, asymmetrical drifter or spinnaker, as well. I have no interest in using a spinnaker.
Old 23-02-2015, 08:31   #2994

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

I've used both symmetric and asymmetric chutes. I can honestly sat they both work great with a sock and are easy to use but the symmetric wins in jibing. It doesn't collapse or drag across the forstay. The easiest way to control it is to run a barber hauler style guy attached to the ama bow with a snatch block on the end. The snatch block is fastened around the spinnaker sheet. Repeat for the other side. The 4 lines cover all the adjustments, no pole needed. On one tack pull the guy all the way in to the ama bow and that sheet thinks it's on a pole. The other side guy is let out and the chute sheets normally. Any combination in between works. To jibe have both guys pulled in leaving about 6-8 feet of guy above the ama and adjust the sheets, no flap or fuss. As you adjust course set the guys and sheets accordingly.

A used symmetric chute is also more affordable, a 1.5 oz covers more wind range, flatter cuts can point higher.

If you have mechanical skills I'd suggest doing and learning about your own rigging and splices, Roy's approach of working with a rigger sounds great. If you are ever off the beaten track with a problem nobody will be there to do it for you. Staylock and Norseman fittings are very easy to use, just make sure they are tight. 12 strand braids aren't difficult and are pretty foolproof if long enough. With any robe make sure you are protected for chafe.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 08:42   #2995

My asymm doesn't drag across the forestay because I lead the "lazy" sheet forward of the headstay. When it's time to jibe, I merely slack the active sheet until the clew floats downwind of the boat, pull in the new "active" sheet, and off we go. I'm not into dead downwind sailing, so the use of a symmetrical, along with its supportive pole, guys, etc., and the requisite additional line handler, is not in my interest area. I find that simply sailing off at a slight angle gets me further along the desired course than DDW. Also, using the sock makes it an ideal singlehanded unit. Eventually, I plan on installing a Code Zero to improve my options as the wind goes forward. I've already got the furler, but I need to overhaul the mast before adding more toys and sails. I am looking forward to it though, especially in light air, such as we have in Southern California, and one of my future destinations, up in Cavalier's neighborhood.
Old 23-02-2015, 08:59   #2996

Rigged as described there is no pole needed for a symmetric chute. The forward guy/snatchblock can be used as a forward barberhauler when running jibs too. Set up this way no extra line handler is needed, the helmsman can do everything in a controlled fashion from the cockpit during a jibe. Typically the chute is centered, then the main is jibed, then the chute is adjusted for the new course. We usually don't go dead down wind either heading up enough to speed up the apparent wind, but the option is there without fuss, handy for narrow channels etc....An asymmetric can sail pretty deep if you jibe the main opposite the normal side.

We use a big light jib set free for a inexpensive code zero. A furler is on the eventual list but sets and take downs are pretty easy if you run deeper and blanket with the main.
Old 23-02-2015, 16:20   #2997

Got a picture? I might get swayed by your logic.....
Old 23-02-2015, 17:59   #2998

OK Roy, I don't have really great pictures as these were taken for the scenery. The first shows the guy/ ama bow barberhauler/ sheet combo in place of a pole.

The second is the same but in a lot more wind,

3 and 4 don't really show lines but do show the foot of the chute and more
PNW scenery. Remember the sheet side lets the barber hauler run free, the sheet block is near the back of the ama. Running deep both guys are used to a certain extent with the benefit of a upward vector off the ama bows for nose lift.

Finally don't laugh at my chute, it had to come off a sunken boat and the colors bled tie dyeing the sock but it was only a couple hundred complete.

Just noticed #3 shows a guy with its turning block attached to the ama bow and eased off to work as the sheet.

#4 also shows the block on the ama bow, looks like a little tension is being used there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fh020019.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	97801   Click image for larger version

Name:	fh030012.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	97802  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fh020005.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	97803   Click image for larger version

Name:	fh000008.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	97804  

Old 23-02-2015, 21:53   #2999

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Good to see the forum active again. Yes it was like a heat wave in January. I have worked every day trying to make hay with the good weather. Running a kayaking business. Would love to put up my spinnaker but never got to do it.. maybe one day.
New Zealand is well worth a visit if you another searunner could ever come down i for one would like to catch up
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 02:32   #3000

Ah, to have a spinnaker. The need for marine ply and epoxy has taken one out of the budget. My fantasy is an asym on a retractable bow sprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran