Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 14:52   #2881

Boat: Boatless
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewett_john View Post
Fortunately the RI winters aren't all that bad and there are some great sailing days.
Compared to what? Maine? Got to love an optimist but sure, why not?

Jim
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 15:22   #2882

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Hey guys, I've been enjoying your discussions about Searunners and will probably be looking for a 31'er when I'm finished with my current project. (I'm rebuilding an 18' Toyota Sunrader motorhome - the one with the fiberglass body.)

I have some questions about Searunners please...

1) Do you see any reason why the 31' open-wing version wouldn't be okay for long distance solo cruising with the occasional guest or two? By "long distance" I mean meandering down the coast of Mexico, Central America and across the ocean into the South Pacific.

2) All things being equal, is the possibility of dry rot a lot less with the open-wing 31'er verses the solid-wing 31'er?

3) If the bow and stern of the ama's are prone to dry rot, is it even possible to access those areas?

4) I assume there are nooks and crannies of Searunners that are typically more prone to rot than other areas... Are there threads on this forum or elsewhere that have step-by-step instructions on how to survey an old Searunner?

These last two questions probably require local knowledge but I'm open to any ideas...

5) I'm in the San Diego area and if the boat I buy requires work that can only be done on the hard, where in the San Diego area could I work on it that wouldn't cost a fortune? (An ideal location would be one where I could live in my Toyota motorhome at the job site while working.)

6) Slips for multi's are hard to find in San Diego and very expensive when available, so when the work on the hard is done and I'm ready to launch, where do you suggest I keep the boat while I'm preparing to take off?

Thank you very much.
Too bad you're not on the East Coast. My 31 A-Frame is still in the water and I'd be happy to take you for a sail and look-see.

I am absolutely biased and if I had my druthers would opt for a 34 IF the right one at the right price was available. If not the 31 A frame can suit a single hander or couple well.

Mine points very high indeed with a decent breeze.I was following a racing crew a few weeks back and nearly stayed with him close-hauled with a 120 gen.

I'm 6'2" and 180. True I am real agile but I got no problem getting prety deep in the amas and the forward berths my favorite. I got about 6'6" leg room and, well, I find it real cozy with my tempurpedic. I sit up on a slant and read, etc.

My 31 was built in France and crossed at least once, perhaps twice, not sure. Certainly the 31 worthy of long cruises. Lots of storage and balances real well. A testament to Jim Brown's ingenuity. Check out his videos on his 31.

Rot? They're wooden. Mine was impregnated with epoxy but I've found rot in the wet lockers and some surface stuff around hatches. You got to keep after it and keep looking around.

Lots of nooks and crannys that collect dirt.

The biggest drawback to the 31 IMO is that ability to enclose the cockpit a must. When you can sail the boat in any weather enclosed or open up both companionways when on anchor it really makes a big difference in comfort. I'm just now beginning to do that after 12 years of not having a dodger or bimini. In fact I just finished the frame and installed the bimini top today -hahaha.

Jim
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 16:12   #2883

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply and sharing your info.

I like the 34'er too but they are rare and finding one in the same price range as a 31 is highly unlikely. The other thing is that end ties in San Diego are extremely rare so if I buy a fixer that requires the kind of work where it needs to be on the hard, then being able to dismantle it so I can move it to a remote location to work on it will be necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
Too bad you're not on the East Coast. My 31 A-Frame is still in the water and I'd be happy to take you for a sail and look-see.

I am absolutely biased and if I had my druthers would opt for a 34 IF the right one at the right price was available. If not the 31 A frame can suit a single hander or couple well.

Mine points very high indeed with a decent breeze.I was following a racing crew a few weeks back and nearly stayed with him close-hauled with a 120 gen.

I'm 6'2" and 180. True I am real agile but I got no problem getting prety deep in the amas and the forward berths my favorite. I got about 6'6" leg room and, well, I find it real cozy with my tempurpedic. I sit up on a slant and read, etc.

My 31 was built in France and crossed at least once, perhaps twice, not sure. Certainly the 31 worthy of long cruises. Lots of storage and balances real well. A testament to Jim Brown's ingenuity. Check out his videos on his 31.

Rot? They're wooden. Mine was impregnated with epoxy but I've found rot in the wet lockers and some surface stuff around hatches. You got to keep after it and keep looking around.

Lots of nooks and crannys that collect dirt.

The biggest drawback to the 31 IMO is that ability to enclose the cockpit a must. When you can sail the boat in any weather enclosed or open up both companionways when on anchor it really makes a big difference in comfort. I'm just now beginning to do that after 12 years of not having a dodger or bimini. In fact I just finished the frame and installed the bimini top today -hahaha.

Jim
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 16:19   #2884

UPDATE: On the other hand, I could be flexible as far as where I live while working on the boat (if I buy a fixer) so maybe the area I buy will have cheap slip space and/or a cheap place to work on it nearby. I laughed earlier while reading a post on this forum because someone said they were paying only $30 per month to keep their boat on the hard and work on it. (I think it was in Florida.) Cheap places to work on a boat are non-existent in San Diego with all the EPA stuff, etc. unless I can find someone in the country with land I could rent. But even then, $30 a month is insanely cheap!
Old 10-10-2014, 17:55   #2885

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

magentawave, San Diego is NOT an unfriendly place. Just yesterday, we were sanding the starboard deck, in prep to paint. The Harbor Police stopped to warn us about polluting the bay. We pointed out that we were using a full vacuum FessTool system, and asked them to see if there was a speck of dust on the water. They went away, quietly.

As for available end ties, I know of a couple in South Bay. They are nowhere near $30 a month, nearer $300. If you are trying to rehab a boat on the cheap, Mexico may be your only option. But, boats have never been an inexpensive madness. Still, they are not in the same league as horses or airplanes. But, you have to remember that they are spaceships, limited to a two-dimensional universe, that is potentially lethal and otherwise unfriendly to the unprepared. If you are truly in need of low cost locales, you should probably be looking in the Gulf Coast or Southern Atlantic states. Fewer authorities to supervise you, but also fewer resources to make money or find good deals on marine equipment. If your resources are seriously minimal, maybe the RV is the better decision for the present, because boats that cross big waters need serious cash to make them effective and prepared.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 18:25   #2886

A quick update on WILDERNESS: while stripping the decks and preparing to paint has been the primary focus of late, the ongoing saga of the dinghy launching/recovery system has also been a real preoccupation. The most immediate issue has been that the use of the halyard to hoist the RIB and outboard motor has been frustrated by physics. The mast is fixed in place at the center of the boat, therefore, it pulls stuff towards the mast head, at an angle to the keel line of the mothership. The RIB needed to be pulled parallel to the keel line. That doesn't happen in this universe. Yesterday, while struggling in the heatwave that is engulfing Southern California in 90 degree swelter, I had a massive brain fart, rendering me incapable of rational thought. Then I had an accident. Taking large steps up to the cockpit from the deck, I tore my almost new West Marine shorts so badly that they became, in effect, a kilt. While driving back to where I had a spare pair of shorts, my alternate brain center had a chance to cool down to the point that I could see what the problem was. I needed to move the center of effort (the main halyard at the mast) to an alternate location more aligned with the position of the aftermost roller on my fancy launcher system. This was solved by using a spare dockline, a spare swivel-head snapshackle snatch block (repeat that three times, quickly), and the midship, portside dock cleat, to create a new virtual skyhook, which I have now named the Goldilocks block. In one fell swoop (an old Scottish sword fighting expression), I created the solution to my dilemma. To hoist the RIB aboard, and keep the stern of the dink from swinging left or right, I merely adjusted the length of the Goldilocks block until it pulled the Rib directly aboard the boat in a straight line. Wow! Using technology from another time to solve an immediate problem in my modern world. And it was simple and cheap and effective. Life is good.

Please understand that the deck looks like a construction zone. All nonskid, stanchions, deck hardware and pulpits are now removed. Hopefully, in the remaining weeks, this will undergo a major change, then more cosmetic pics will be issued. This dinghy launcher/retrieval system has been a major headache, lots of 3 AM pondering and head scratching have been done. At least, as of today, I now know that it will work exactly as I fantasized. Whew!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141010_142506178_HDR.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	89510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141010_142557089.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	89511  

Old 10-10-2014, 18:28   #2887
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

There was a nice SR 31 that sold in the keys a few years ago for about $8,000. They are small boats but good for one guy or a couple.

St Augustine/ St Johns river is a good area for used parts and there are several cheap yards on the river, but most can't handle multis beams. There are PLENTY of agencies in this area including Homeland Security training headquarters. But you're lucky if you can find a boat out I forcing the no wake manatee zones let alone someone sanding on their boat. To busy cleaning their guns or wasting gas in their V-10 trucks.
Old 11-10-2014, 13:40   #2888

Good for you that you're using a vacuum system while working. I wonder what would have happened if the cops came by and you weren't?

My "unfriendly" comment was mainly about how difficult it can be to find an end tie in San Diego (or Oceanside). South Bay would be my last choice for a slip in SD but it may have to suffice when the time comes. $300 per month is super cheap too. What size boat can you put there for only $300?

The little Toyota motorhome will be my rolling home when its done and I will be traveling in it but I'm just kinda getting a feel for the "lay of the land" for whats going on in San Diego when I get a boat in a year or so, and if a good deal appears outside of SD then it will come in handy for that too.

I've owned sailboats so I have no illusions how expensive it will be to buy, berth/store, fix up and outfit a cruiser. In my case though, the labor would be my own because I have lots of skills I acquired as a cabinetmaker/finish carpenter and I used to glass surfboards, etc., etc. The other thing is that I plan to keep the boat simple cuz simple is cheaper upfront and later with less things to breakdown.

Hmmm, Mexico is a possibility and thanks for mentioning that. Do you know if any of the yards in Ensenada rent space to individuals to work on their boats on the hard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
magentawave, San Diego is NOT an unfriendly place. Just yesterday, we were sanding the starboard deck, in prep to paint. The Harbor Police stopped to warn us about polluting the bay. We pointed out that we were using a full vacuum FessTool system, and asked them to see if there was a speck of dust on the water. They went away, quietly.

As for available end ties, I know of a couple in South Bay. They are nowhere near $30 a month, nearer $300. If you are trying to rehab a boat on the cheap, Mexico may be your only option. But, boats have never been an inexpensive madness. Still, they are not in the same league as horses or airplanes. But, you have to remember that they are spaceships, limited to a two-dimensional universe, that is potentially lethal and otherwise unfriendly to the unprepared. If you are truly in need of low cost locales, you should probably be looking in the Gulf Coast or Southern Atlantic states. Fewer authorities to supervise you, but also fewer resources to make money or find good deals on marine equipment. If your resources are seriously minimal, maybe the RV is the better decision for the present, because boats that cross big waters need serious cash to make them effective and prepared.
Old 11-10-2014, 14:03   #2889

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

???????
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 16:00   #2890

The only Ensenada yard I have had experience with is Baja Naval. There is little you can do yourself, there, and while there are some savings, compared to San Diego, it's not cheap. Perhaps, further south and in the Sea of Cortez, you will find better options. Down there, though, it is not going to be cheaper when you go to a marine store.
Old 11-10-2014, 17:15   #2891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
There was a nice SR 31 that sold in the keys a few years ago for about $8,000. They are small boats but good for one guy or a couple.

St Augustine/ St Johns river is a good area for used parts and there are several cheap yards on the river, but most can't handle multis beams. There are PLENTY of agencies in this area including Homeland Security training headquarters. But you're lucky if you can find a boat out I forcing the no wake manatee zones let alone someone sanding on their boat. To busy cleaning their guns or wasting gas in their V-10 trucks.
Do remember her name? Just curious if it was the one I donated to an outfit when my back went. for the tax write off?
Old 11-10-2014, 18:41   #2892
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The SR 31 in the keys was an early 70s boat. The story the (nice guy) owner/seller told was the original owner/ builder bought it back around 2000 after perhaps several owners. He then attempted to sail it to Mexico from key west a few years later and had a rudder failure. The boat was towed back to KY and sold cheap to the guy in Marathon that put a bunch into it, but overall was a well built simple boat that had obviously been well cared for over the years.

As an aside, the SR 40 in Jacksonville is still for sale. I would guess 2,000 would buy it, have no idea how bad she is. The marina is looking to do some payment scheme to continue the slip rent and recover what that have in it. Check JAX Craigslist.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:30   #2893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
The SR 31 in the keys was an early 70s boat. The story the (nice guy) owner/seller told was the original owner/ builder bought it back around 2000 after perhaps several owners. He then attempted to sail it to Mexico from key west a few years later and had a rudder failure. The boat was towed back to KY and sold cheap to the guy in Marathon that put a bunch into it, but overall was a well built simple boat that had obviously been well cared for over the years.

As an aside, the SR 40 in Jacksonville is still for sale. I would guess 2,000 would buy it, have no idea how bad she is. The marina is looking to do some payment scheme to continue the slip rent and recover what that have in it. Check JAX Craigslist.
Thanks for the feedback on the SR31. Doesn't sound like her but who can tell? Stories of ownership seem to change by word of mouth.
Old 12-10-2014, 17:31   #2894

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
I have some questions about Searunners please...

1) Do you see any reason why the 31' open-wing version wouldn't be okay for long distance solo cruising with the occasional guest or two? By "long distance" I mean meandering down the coast of Mexico, Central America and across the ocean into the South Pacific.
You need to read everything Jim Brown wrote about his early adventures on Schrimshaw, an open wing 31', the original Searunner. All his cruising was coastal, he never crossed an ocean, and he wasn't solo, but the stories will convince you the boat can take what you are asking of it.

I was on Schrimshaw one day with Jim Brown, just at the dock. What a day listening to Jim Brown talk about the boat, talk about sailing. The boat was a museum. Jim Brown's house was chock ablock full of multihull stuff he has worked on. The float for the dock was a left over proa hull that his son Russel had built. The whole day was a visit to multihull pioneer days. If it wasn't for Jim Brown, John Marples, Rudy Choy, Art Piver, Horstman, and a few others the America's Cup would have never been in multihulls. (oops, sorry for the rant).

You won't go wrong with a Searunner 31!
Old 12-10-2014, 17:58   #2895

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Launch day is 19 days away. Today I got the new centerboard in. Being that it is not to the original design I had all sorts of fears that it would not fit, but, it fits fine. In fact, it may need some shims to tighten it up a bit. Time will tell. The mast is also back into its original position. The good thing with the new centerboard is that I won't have to move the mast to get it out. The pivot pin for the centerboard is also in the mini-keel now. There are no more holes through the centerboard trunk to weep and make the trunk rot. The only downside is that the boat needs to be hauled, or grounded on the beach, to remove the board.

Nearly all the decks and cockpit have been stripped of the old paint/filler/more paint and have been sanded. Tommorrrowwww I can actually put some primer on.

I still have to start the engine. It hasn't been started in two years. All the filters have been changed. The fuel tank was removed and cleaned. I may have a weak battery in the bank so all batteries need a load test. The impeller will get changed. The oil will get changed, maybe twice since I'm not convinced the previous owner ever did it.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Launch day is Halloween Day. I think I should dress as a pirate and christen the boat with a bottle of rum!

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran