Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 28-09-2014, 16:50   #2866

Boat: Searunner, 37'
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Is the end in sight? With the arrival of October it will two years that I have been on the hard doing the refit of Princess Pupulei. Also with the arrival of October is the yard bill for another season. Hinckley Yacht Services has changed its rate to conform with the new industry standard: length x width x $5/sq ft. They explained that for the normal 40' monohull it actually works out to be a little cheaper, however, for multihulls the formula doesn't work. My fee goes from $2100 to $4100. So, with that, I launch on 31 October.

I guess I will be ready. This week I have the new dual steering station system installed. I have the new location for the engine controls installed. I have the centerboard trunk rebuilt (centerboard not yet in). I re-installed the water tank, the fuel tank will be in a few days. I have the electrical system rewired. The hulls were refinished last summer, no more rot. The deck has been stripped of a few hundred pounds of fairing putting that was applied over the old non-skid. The old non-skid has been stripped. The bow pulpit is back on. The inner fore stay has been installed.

Still to be done, and I will work on this to launch day: install fuel tank, change engine oil, filters, impeller, etc and start engine (it hasn't been started in two years). Install new centerboard. Sand every square inch of deck, cabin sides, and cabin top. Prime and paint all previous. Install winches. Install main sheet traveler. Remove the winter stick and put the mooring ball back on, Find the oars for the dinghy. Find the sails. Find the sheets. Get the boat on the mooring for some Rhode Island winter sailing. (I hope I remember how to sail the boat.) Once in the water the work will just be enjoyable tinkering work.

Ah, for the love of a Searunner. I am really tired of working on the boat. I just want to go sailing!!! Fortunately the RI winters aren't all that bad and there are some great sailing days.
Old 29-09-2014, 05:51   #2867

I blush at how slow I am going on my own project Corazon. It took me two months just to repair, prepare and non-skid the decks. I work alone and I work slow but steady.
dale d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 06:56   #2868

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

dale d, the only thing that really matters is that the work proceeds well. We do this for our own reasons, not for competition or glory. Hang in there.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 07:46   #2869

The new RIB rollers are epoxied in place and look like they grew out of the deck.

very good post. Inspiring, especially working clean under the very noses of the Harbor Police. I was a lot younger and more of a target for them while I grew up in Commercial basin. I'm glad to hear of your success and looking forward to at least hearing about your cycle when it comes to pass. Thanks for a great post.
dale d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 08:55   #2870

Thanks, dale d. I just got the Lehr propane motor back from the shop, no problems, just the required 10 hour warranty work. I will mount it on the rib and get it back aboard the boat today so I can fit the final element, the stop block. The rollers are so efficient you need to stay out of the way once it starts to roll. I am still doing the details (polishing up the stainless stanchions, pulpits and bow net tangs) and doing the last minute detail sanding, prior to painting the waterway trims. I'm holding off on sending pics until things look nicer and finished.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:35   #2871

Propeller shaft locks, what is the opinion of the group?

I see many opinions: a lock is a must because transmission will over heat/be damaged. A non-rotating prop has less drag. A rotating prop has less drag. The loads on the shaft are small so the transmission won't be damaged. Etc, etc, etc.

I have a solid prop on a Volvo Model 2003 28hp diesel with the stock transmission. (A folding prop isn't in the budget right now unless someone has a cheap 19" x 11" left hand folding prop for a 1 1/4" shaft to sell). Should I lock my shaft or let it spin?

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2014, 07:51   #2872

I've got a LH 18" X 12" Martec Eliptic, blades only. You will need to buy a 1 1/4" hub. My boat, with a 17 foot-long shaft, only uses a 1" stainless shaft. When I converted from a Volvo MD2B, I had to reverse the blade pitch due to the right-hand rotation. If you want them, send me a PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:32   #2873

John, go to http://www.martec-props.com/refurbish.htm and check out their parts prices. I will sell you my blades for $100, plus shipping to Long Beach, home of Martec. They will polish the blades (no trueing needed), and assemble the whole kit for less than the price of a brand new set.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:39   #2874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
John, go to refurbish.gif and check out their parts prices. I will sell you my blades for $100, plus shipping to Long Beach, home of Martec. They will polish the blades (no trueing needed), and assemble the whole kit for less than the price of a brand new set.
Thanks for the offer but I have to pass. I'm in the middle of selling my house, retiring, moving, launching the boat, etc. Even at half the price of new I would still be in the crapper-house with my wife if I spent the money.

I just have to keep in my mind that I am cruising so a few more hours on the water is a plus, and if I race I will get a rating bonus with a solid prop.

Again thanks, maybe it could be next year's update.
Old 07-10-2014, 14:33   #2875

Hey guys, I've been enjoying your discussions about Searunners and will probably be looking for a 31'er when I'm finished with my current project. (I'm rebuilding an 18' Toyota Sunrader motorhome - the one with the fiberglass body.)

I have some questions about Searunners please...

1) Do you see any reason why the 31' open-wing version wouldn't be okay for long distance solo cruising with the occasional guest or two? By "long distance" I mean meandering down the coast of Mexico, Central America and across the ocean into the South Pacific.

2) All things being equal, is the possibility of dry rot a lot less with the open-wing 31'er verses the solid-wing 31'er?

3) If the bow and stern of the ama's are prone to dry rot, is it even possible to access those areas?

4) I assume there are nooks and crannies of Searunners that are typically more prone to rot than other areas... Are there threads on this forum or elsewhere that have step-by-step instructions on how to survey an old Searunner?

These last two questions probably require local knowledge but I'm open to any ideas...

5) I'm in the San Diego area and if the boat I buy requires work that can only be done on the hard, where in the San Diego area could I work on it that wouldn't cost a fortune? (An ideal location would be one where I could live in my Toyota motorhome at the job site while working.)

6) Slips for multi's are hard to find in San Diego and very expensive when available, so when the work on the hard is done and I'm ready to launch, where do you suggest I keep the boat while I'm preparing to take off?

Thank you very much.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 14:59   #2876

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Hey guys, I've been enjoying your discussions about Searunners and will probably be looking for a 31'er when I'm finished with my current project. (I'm rebuilding an 18' Toyota Sunrader motorhome - the one with the fiberglass body.)

I have some questions about Searunners please...

1) Do you see any reason why the 31' open-wing version wouldn't be okay for long distance solo cruising with the occasional guest or two? By "long distance" I mean meandering down the coast of Mexico, Central America and across the ocean into the South Pacific.

2) All things being equal, am I correct in thinking that the possibility of dry rot should be a lot less with the open-wing 31'er verses the solid-wing 31'er?

3) Can you access inside the bow and stern of the ama's to check for dry rot?

4) I assume there are nooks and crannies of Searunners that are typically more prone to rot than other areas... Are there threads on this forum or elsewhere that have step-by-step instructions on how to survey an old Searunner?

These last two questions probably require local knowledge but I'm open to any ideas...

5) I'm in the San Diego area and if the boat I buy requires work that can only be done on the hard, where in the San Diego area could I work on it that wouldn't cost a fortune? (An ideal location would be one where I could live in my Toyota motorhome at the job site while working.)

6) Slips for multi's are hard to find in San Diego and very expensive when available, so when the work on the hard is done and I'm ready to launch, where do you suggest I keep the boat while I'm preparing to take off?

Thank you very much.
I had one. I think you called it an open wing. It came from the UK and extensively sailed from Fla. to South America by the former owner. The wing supports where 2" square tubing well gusseted with the same. Good luck accessing the fore and aft inside the amas unless you are small and agile. I didn't think it pointed well. May have just been me? We called the forward berths coffins. Functional but difficult to get in and out of. Using the aft berth as a dinette is a laugh unless your shoe size is 5.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 15:05   #2877

Are the wing berths in the 31' open wing comfortable?
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 15:17   #2878

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Are the wing berths in the 31' open wing comfortable?
A little on the narrow side, not much vertical height for the legs. As I said functional. The starboard one was on the short side do to galley storage taking some foot space. That may just be on that layout?

I PO Sunrunner people. Get a Piver had one of them also.
Old 07-10-2014, 16:23   #2879

magentawave, I live in San Diego, my boat is in Point Loma, and I know a couple things about Searunners. If you want to chat, send me a private message (called a PM) on this forum. And take the advice of Cadence with a pinch of epsom salt.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:15   #2880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
magentawave, I live in San Diego, my boat is in Point Loma, and I know a couple things about Searunners. If you want to chat, send me a private message (called a PM) on this forum. And take the advice of Cadence with a pinch of epsom salt.
It's me that took the ExLax. I see you have a 40' probably a world of difference from the 31' he was inquiring about. Just giving him my honest opinion for what it may or may not be worth. Hopefully he will get input from others that have had a 31'. So your advice about the Epsom salt is probably spot on.

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran