Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 19-02-2013, 08:21   #1861

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

I met Bob Dixon about thirty years ago, after I arrived in San Diego with my boat from Los Angeles. He was sailing with Norm Cross, the extraordinary designer of the Cross trimarans. Bob had been working for some multihull builders who were building Norm's boats commercially at a small airport near the Mexican border, and in the 1980's, Bob began working for Corsair Marine, building the new F-27 for John Walton (son of the founder of Walmart). Bob had a pretty prestigious list of employers who valued his insight and technical skills with high-end multihulls. He was constantly being sent to Northern California, and Europe to modify fast racing boats for folks who had heard of his abilities. When not building, he was racing and delivering multihulls. He has done the single-handed transpac several times on F-27s, been aboard several multis in harrowing capsizes, crewed aboard Crusader when it attempted to beat the record around the Horn (and got dismasted and crushed by a Chilean naval vessel attempting to rescue them). Bob invited me along when we established a world record transpac aboard YANMAR ENDEAVOR in 1989, the first boat to cross from San Francisco to Oahu under diesel outboards, a special built boat designed by Gino Morelli (America's Cup catamaran, etc.). Bob also raced the Newport to Ensenada race in the smallest multihull that ever competed, his own design. He has sailed with many of the great ones. A couple years ago, Bob made a course correction in life, and took on some other projects. He and I built a wooden body for a 1923 Rolls Royce, getting the opportunity to work closely with Olin Stephens, the designer of many gorgeous monohulls and one fine car. Bob went on to design a rolling backpack (http://dixonrollerpack.com/) that is being used by the military, and also for those of us who can't carry 50-100 pound backpacks in the wilderness anymore. Today, he works for those who have the resources to craft unusual projects, which I can't talk about. We get together regularly to drink incredible San Diego craft beers, play with project ideas, and share stories. When I get WILDERNESS underway again, he will be a regular crewmember.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-3-12 101.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	55225   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-3-12 006.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	55226  

Name:	PICT0045.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	55227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dixon Rollerpack.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	55228  

Name:	2007-3-12 092.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	426.4 KB
ID:	55229   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0318.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	55230  

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 09:07   #1862

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
Thanks for sharing that Roy. It is amazing how people mould into special ones. They seem to follow a pattern of success achieving and challenging.
It is great to see the searunner actually move with the times with new materials on the insides.
Also I have noticed that Jim Brown has never posted here on what would be the most read associated searunner valued information of today. Maybe the searunner way of life has finally left his thoughts. Maybe the design has moved on too much. Maybe his health is a factor. But his influence with both his writtings and design build has impacted on peoples lives. Changed their whole living methods and one could say outlook. Even today in 2013 it still applies. Sea lore and the freedom finally found in a searunner. I hope that this forum continues with growth saving the last few seruuners out there in the world.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 09:14   #1863

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I would build another Searunner 40 if I had the resources. There would be some minor changes, but nothing in the design concept. I'd probably add some composites, insulate the hull and cabins more extensively, and include the upgrades that have been evolving over thirty-plus years. But the boat itself is a dream.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 10:12   #1864

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Jim is a very busy guy. He delegated the Searunners to Marples years ago to free up his time to develop other things like the Windrider. Many people underestimate the amount of time it takes to keep the clientel on track and not do goofy/dangerous things to their boats. Especially back in the day I don't think you could find a designer who wasn't horrified at some of the things coming out of the back yards with their names attached. Jim has told stories of over dedicated owners showing up at his house on Christmas with no invitation etc....showing the down side of fervent recognition. The designs, for many, are still on track, construction and material updates are well covered so why not look ahead to new things?
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 13:50   #1865

Roy M I forgot to mention that the photos you posted where great.
Old 20-02-2013, 06:09   #1866

Boat: Searunner 37 1974 #25

Sorry for interrupting the discussion, but I'm a new searunner owner and I need some help from the pros. I have a 1974 37ft searunner and I would like your feedback on:

1) What is the height of the mast above the water? I want to travel the Okeechobee waterway in a few weeks and I'm a little worried about that 49ft rr bridge.

2) I want to put marine ac in her (I live in the Pensacola area). Where is the best place to install unit and what size to cool entire boat (9000, 12000, or 16000btu)?

3) I live on a shallow bayou and I’m considering some type of kick-up rudder system. Does anyone have some suggestions? Of course I would shorten the mini keel to fit.

Thanks for any feedback. I appreciate it.

Best,

Stu
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7570696828_dbf803d0f3_z.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	55284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1008.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	426.3 KB
ID:	55285  

Name:	5894213718_79acc64bc7_z.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	55286   Click image for larger version

Name:	5894955864_32d531a721_z.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	55287  

Name:	5894390321_2fd5eebcb5_z.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	55288  
Captryan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 07:19   #1867

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

1) The Searunner Construction book says the mast length to the trunk is 45' low tide sounds like a plus. I'd hoist a tape on the spinnaker halyard , usually the highest, and make sure a longer mast wasn't installed, then you need to allow for antennas etc....It would be better to take the mast down than get this one wrong!

3) For the rudder I'd suggest getting a plan sheet from Marples for the kick up skeg he has used in his CC boats and the Seaclippers. There are a lot of ways to add one but that one would be pretty straight forward.

2) Air conditioning?
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 07:37   #1868

Stu, if it was me I wouldn't take it across Florida I'd go around.

First you have to check water levels to see when they are opening the locks plus they just love eating plywood with all that cement.

some years back I was bringing my Tri across single handed going west to east, gave a little wood to the cement monster.

At Moorehaven I lost my prop. Couldn't find one locally, gave Boat US a call wasted 7 days waiting for them, they never did show up.

My cell got soaked, so had to hitch hike to Orlando. almost got arrested for hitching but when the cop found out the story he drove me to Orlando, thank God he was a boater also.

I get back and my boat was gone. Never did find her. So thank you Boat US very much.

So, I would recommend if you can get threw be sure to have extra Hands along because it really takes 2 to get a Tri threw the locks..

Good luck
searunner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 14:04   #1869

Hi Captryan23
You can spend some serious money on these boats, often we do things that if we had of left it a bit longer we would have done it differently and often better. It is better to slowly make the changes as these changes are costly.
Nice pic's hope you get to travel on her often.
Temporary portable air conditioning unit maybe on mains power supplied from the dock.
and get that mast height written down someplace in your new boat book of bits......
Old 20-02-2013, 16:06   #1870

Boat: Searunner 37 1974 #25

Thank all of you for your wisdom. All made good points and I hope my trip back will be less eventful than Searunner31...good god!!! What a crazy story.
Captryan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 16:09   #1871
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Stu

the second edition of the construction manual shows a kick up rudder for the 37 on page 187. your manual may be the first edition and not show it. I will check.

also, the other 37 in the Panhandle had a kick up rudder and no mini keel. the one that is a 68 or 69. I think the guy posted on here once or twice a few years back

seems like others have the same ideas as me on the AC. Seriously though, I think maybe in the wing where the one water tank was. I would get altleast 10,000 and maybe larger depending on size and weight. Easy to duct to both cabins via the AMA and an easy drain overboard.

Jeff
Old 20-02-2013, 16:13   #1872
Marine Service Provider

Roy

that was a car designed by Olin or built for him? I met him about 8 years ago at the T10 nationals. I believe he passed away a year or so after that.

can I sublease your slip at the SW Yachtclub when you go on the big cruise?
Old 20-02-2013, 16:38   #1873

Sure was a nightmare,
searunner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 16:43   #1874
Marine Service Provider

It's called cruising.
Old 20-02-2013, 16:50   #1875
Marine Service Provider

Speaking of nitemares/ cruising adventures/ life well lived/ enjoy the ride, etc, etc.

Multihull Dynamics, Inc. - News Article

THAT has been posted many times on here, but looks to now be archived on this new site.

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran