How do you live in just the front cabin
with this level of construction going on?
We started out our first year on the boat
, ('96), living in a bare hull
, with Mariam in the front, and a Coleman lantern & stove in the other front bunk, (along with cooler and a box of groceries.) I slept on the back floor single
bunk, in an "empty" cabin
. Roughing it for sure, but we were younger then...
Sounds like you've thought about your core
choice caveats. The cardboard core
would be easier to route
and edge, but being open faced, lent itself more to a vacuumed down thin wood veneer, than just glassing. NidaCore, on the other hand, has that felt like face that allows glassing directly, with no wood veneer or vacuum bagging required, (Just a FLAT table)... If you've got the edging sussed out, go for it!
Finger holes... Yep those recessed ABI fold down jobs are nice! I used a 3 finger square one on the engine
area floor, which I wanted sealed for sound. (I have "in and out" ducting to the cabin side here, for air). Elsewhere, finger holes are so much easier & cheaper.
We have always kept the bilge
filth down a bit, by using throw rugs of bound edge indoor/outdoor carpet, (In all 4 floor areas), thereby covering the open floor edges and finger holes. These thin rugs are warm under foot, soak up bits of rain or spray, (to evaporate over time and keep the bilge
dryer), and they deaden sound quite a bit. We can turn the corners in and lift
the dirt out WITH the little rugs, periodically. In the front, they stop sand from sticking to your feet, as you get into the bunk. This is nice!
By putting them on non skidded floors, and in the case of the largest aft cabin one, smearing/troweling silicone caulk all over the back, and pressing it out with a LARGE sheet of glass, it has a very sticky, "no- slip" back, and remains where put.
The down side of coarse, is less bilge ventilation, and harder access.
Your reefer/freezer sounds great! We can make ice in a pinch, but seldom do, as turning it down that cold doubles the Amp hrs. We went SUPER small & energy efficient, so anchored out, the entire boat
uses between 30 and 40 Ah/day, even when making our water
, and we REALLY like that we can get this back 100% with our 280W of panels
. The batteries are normally back up and all the way to "float" by 11AM or noon! The extra juice means that even on cloudy days, we get a full charge. This leads to > 10 year battery
We got the equivalent of about 7" of foam with "Vacupanels" nestled between 1" layers of urethane and isocynate foam. The system has worked flawlessly since '99, and is still as efficient.
You can't get these custom made, small "Vacupanels" any more though. Glacier Bay, who made a MUCH more expensive product, came out with patently untrue claims about my brand's losses over time. It may have halted sales? Vacupanel didn't need the small timer's business anyway, and are now exclusively lining the world's refrigerated trucks. Like I said, ours still work great! Oh yes... the interior
finish on our box is just 4 coats of WEST epoxy
, with white pigment. This is better than paint
, and will never peel.
You have done your homework on what's out there now I'm sure... The lid is indeed the hardest part. If you found a prefab version, that makes a lot of sense!
With your extra space, you could easily have enough solar
panel area to run your gizmos. It still makes the best bang for your buck, however, to minimize consumption
, over increase production. As I have said before, one needs 2X enough solar panels
to match their normal load, (90% of the time), to cover them in overcast conditions. I know you have figured this all in...
Roy, you know this, but ANYONE who gets the interior
of their boat stripped completely... Do yourself a favor. Re-paint inside with either 4-5 coats of flattened LP paint
, or my 1st choice, off white "BarRust" 2 part epoxy
/ paint. If you do this really well, you will never have that paint peeling hassle, from one part paints.
My fall paint project
is the other half of the front cabin, then moving to the back, again!
Hang in there...