Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 27-06-2012, 04:57   #1231

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Roy, In case you missed Jeff Allen's story about this, among many... Otherwise, by all means, correct any mistakes. My apologies if I'm butting in...

My memory of it was that Jeff was living "on shore" for some time in Gibraltar, with his SR 40 anchored out, on it's on, near a military base. A sudden HURRICANE FORCE storm brewed up, and Jeff hauled ass to get to his boat and secure her for the storm, but needed to cross the military base to get to the boat. Due to some kind of security concerns at the moment, they wouldn't let him pass at the gate, so his beautiful boat remained unsecured for the storm. When the storm hit, the boat drug onto the unforgiving rocky shore, and was pounded to pieces. Later, he was allowed to his boat to strip her. THE BOAT NEVER CAPSIZED, BTW.

ROSSAD, Yes there was a SR 37 that capsized in the Pacific, in Cyclone Meli (sp?) about 35 years ago. The gusts had been officially measured @ 200 MPH!!! She had been anchored in the lee of an island, with the chain wrapped securely, 180 degrees around a coral cluster, so it held. When the winds reversed, they were on the windward side, and the waves HUGE! She rose on a wave, wind got under the wing, and the boat became AIRBORNE and flipped. He and his girlfriend, and his father, were in the intact, but upside down boat. They, (all 3), tried to swim in to shore, but his girlfriend and father never were seen again.

I don't off hand know of any capsizes "at sea", from wind or wave. (Perhaps the smaller ones have?) A few have fallen apart at sea, from being SO neglected and rotten, that they were a ghost of their former selves. Events like this are "making **** happen", in my book! There were others that were disabled by hitting whales or the bottom, or flotsam, but in most cases, they were rescued, or one even sailed back home, with ALL THREE hulls being holed by a whale.

I know my South African friend, Nevil, ended up with him and his Searunner 31, in the top of a tree, in St Martin, during Hugo, but it mostly floated up there. He winched her down, rebuilt her, and sailed on for years.

If one looks at the number of boats built, number of ocean crossings, number of circumnavigations, total sea miles covered, years spent living aboard anchored out, over the most years... and compares this to the number of lives lost "at sea on a SR", over those 40+ years, (two lives lost, as far as I know?), then it tells the story.

The "safest track record boats ever designed"? That's highly debatable, but Searunners are surely in the top five!

BTW... I have gotten Multihulls Magazine since #1, (35+ years), and still have the collection. Very few "incidents" went unreported, back in those days. We were all riding a revolution, and communicated a lot!

M.

Photo is Nevil and his 31, up the Rio Dulce, years later...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	015_15 (2).jpg
Views:	300
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	42796  
Old 27-06-2012, 07:19   #1232

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Rossad, DINK'S SONG didn't flip. Jeff's Searunner was moored in Gibraltar and Jeff was ashore working as a veterinarian, I think in nearby Spain. A tremendous storm system developed and swept in with powerful winds and seas. Simultaneously, the Spanish locals were having one of their hissy fits about the British occupying the "Rock", leading to major blockages at the border. A friend called Jeff to warn him that the boat might be in danger. Jeff was unable to penetrate the border issue in sufficient time to get to the boat. It washed ashore and was destroyed on the rocks. Very sad end to a great old boat. This was many years ago. Jeff, with his usual resilience, moved to Portugal, started another practice, then designed and built a trio of big cats, selling two and taking the third to the Caribbean, selling it in the US, then coming to California to buy his current boat, a large Cross, currently located (along with his beautiful wife Jose) in the Marquesas. Lucky dog.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2007-3-12 009A.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	42800   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-3-12 016.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	42802  

Name:	PICT0016.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	42803   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0008.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	42804  

Name:	2007-3-12 014.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	42806  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 08:06   #1233

Thanks Roy, I suspected you had more of the facts about the boat's loss than I did.

Doesn't Stravaig now have a hard top, and mostly enclosed cockpit?

You flown out to see them yet???

Mark
Old 27-06-2012, 11:21   #1234

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

One Searunner 37 capsize is covered in the "Case for the Cruising Trimaran" where a tire drogue got tangled on deployment.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 15:27   #1235

Boat: Wharram Tiki 26

If I remember well, it was a SR 40 that is reported flipped in Jim Brown's book. There was one life lost, after the capsize, when both sailors where in a life-raft. I think that both could be survived if they where in the capsized tri.
andres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 02:53   #1236

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha
I find this so interesting. Must have this searunner thing in my veins. Heres a pick of my last trip two weeks ago.

Name:	ForumRunner_20120628_215401.png
Views:	342
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	42824
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 04:36   #1237

Rossad, Great photo!

Looks pretty tricked out... Send some detail shots.

M.
Old 28-06-2012, 08:06   #1238

Someone should ask Jeff how the Searunner and Cross compare.
Old 28-06-2012, 08:37   #1239
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

You may have seen this link Searunner v Cross

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oss-80255.html

The just of the thread was the Cross was roomier for cruising and the Searunner pointed higher, there is a contributor who has owned both in the thread. Some Cross tris added swingboards to the main hull, others added daggers to the amas.

My design is basically a Piver Victress in Fiberglass with round hulls. I hope to launch by the Fall at the latest. Because she has asymmetric ama's I am going to wait till I do some cruising before I decide to add a board, if at all to the main hull. If I add one I would put it under the salon bench seat, as I could hide a swingboard box there and it would not interfere with the interior space.

Pat
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2012, 09:01   #1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Someone should ask Jeff how the Searunner and Cross compare.
Jeff doesn't do the email or the forum thing, to busy having a life!

When we talked about it, this is what I remember... He loved his Searunner 40, years ago, & its performance, but shallow draft and pointing ability now took a back seat, to other priorities.

Jeff is getting close to 70 I think, and a closed up cockpit was looking nice. Then there was Jose's affinity for the nicer things, like real plates, and more "stuff" than a Searunner can easily carry.

Searunners take a backpackers mentality, and obsession with weight. This is FAR less true of a big Cross. The Cross has a Vaka that is about twice the width, with proportionately higher payload.

Also, they needed to find a deal on a fixer upper. They basically built this new boat, also Stravaig, from a hull & deck. The engine, rudder, mast, hardware, rig, sails, gear, ports, paint, hardtop, and most of the interior, are new.

They have had serious problems with the boat, and some leaks. They hit/got hit by a whale early on in their cruise, (with wing & hull damage), then got hit by an out of season, out of possition hurricane AT SEA, on the way from Ca to Panama. (MORE damage). All was repaired in Colon, and later a bit more was taken care of elsewhere. It is a hell of a story! In 50' waves, all bets are off...

You can't fault the boat, or the design for that, under the circumstances. If I didn't have a Searunner, my 2nd choice of the "older" pre Marples designs, would be a Cross, or Kantola. They're good boats!

I wouldn't like the keel's increased draft, or being less forgiving of a grounding, but I would like their being less of a hassle to live with. The extra payload would be really nice!

They're all a trade off, and what works best for you may change with age, cruising destination, and circumstances. J&J made a good choice in my book.

Someday I'll ask them how they feel now... Their blog is @:

Stravaig's Travels

M.
Old 28-06-2012, 14:08   #1241

Thanks Pat and Mark, I'll look at the link and blog. They are all good boats. The Nicol is a little like a leaner, meaner Cross, but with a more rounded main hull. I'd put a dagger in a Cross and reduce the keel. I'll dig out my old study plans but the Cross cruising keel doesn't really draw much more than the Searunner with the mini keel.
Old 28-06-2012, 14:13   #1242

Oops, I saw that thread.....interested to hear about the guy who has had both. We also tend towards the backpack cruising end of things. "you can't get away from it all if you bring it all with you."
Old 29-06-2012, 14:19   #1243

Good read on the blog, I had to laugh as we have done or are doing many similar things on the Nicol but for different reasons. No rot or termites. The Vagabond was stripped of all except the sailing gear with only a worn out main and a old jib left- no motor or electronics just a compass that was off 10 degrees. Our mast did have bad areas so that was the first thing rebuilt starting a long list. The interior was only tacked in but the boat was made with very good materials making it worthwhile to go the bare hull route.....easy enough to budget and plan in logical steps. I've managed to avoid the pi equation on the jobs.....instead of 3.14 times longer than estimated I'm just taking twice as long
Old 30-06-2012, 07:48   #1244

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Exclamation Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

All, the Searunner Construction Manual is now again available -- gratis -- and with an updated forward .

For those who have read the whole of this thread know why I'm so happy.

Maren

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 08:08   #1245

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran

That is totally awesome news! I downloaded the file as soon as I found out about it. My venerable and much used original is literally falling to pieces and the children have been threatened with dismemberment and banishment if they so much as touch it. I had even toyed with having my old manual rebound- just for sentimental reasons. You don't get that level of use and dog eared-ness unless it has been read and read over and over. It's still great information for just about any multihullers.
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran