Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 17-04-2012, 08:59   #1096

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Connie and I had our son look at that 40 ftr in WA. real nice set up boat! nice shape ! just to far for us to have the time to get her out to Louisiana, and thats to bad ! cus it's the best tri around that we have heard about !! to bad it's not in FL cus we would buy it in a flash !! just sayin, we don't have anything to do with this boat and don't know the owner!
Old 17-04-2012, 09:20   #1097

Thanks - I expect the sailing qualities to be good, I'm more concerned about deliveries. It's just a fact of sailing here that the cruising grounds are to leeward, and the sailing to them is wonderful, but the sail home can be awful. Coming back from the Sacramento "Delta" is usually straight into 25 knots and square chop in a restricted channel. Coming up the coast of California in the summer the prevailing conditions are straight upwind into 15+ and good swell. Picking the delivery window is critical and there isn't much time when it backs off. One thing I promised the wife on the next boat, we would have a diesel…. Even a sweet 4 stroke honda gets annoying after many hours.
HapaPops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 11:05   #1098

Here's a sample note of a "baha bash"

Another era over. Time now for the hard slog north to begin. The goal now is to get through Baja and get home. We were lucky enough to round Cabo San Lucas in calm winds, but from then on it has mostly been a bit of a pounding. They don't call this trip the "Baja Bash" for nothing. Winds are almost always from the North, and the most that you can hope for is that they are light so that you can have a calm motor sail. The book says the winds are supposed to lay down at night, but we have had several nights of building winds and seas. Nothing scary, but pretty uncomfortable - in the 25 to 30 knot range. We have the sails reefed down small in these conditions. The seas get pretty sloppy - up to 8 ft waves, and because we are bashing into it it is WET. The bow lifts up on a wave and plunges down, and if it hits the next wave just right the bow crashes through the wave, water cascades over the entire boat, and the front end of the boat from keel forward rises out of the water and thuds down again with a terrific jarring crash. Sleeping can be difficult, so we have been arriving in port a little frayed and grumpy. And some of the bunks are slightly damper, because the hatch seals are not what they used to be, and the pile of salty clothing grows. It can be very slow going. We have to make tacks back and forth because the boat cannot sail straight into the wind, so our "velocity made good" is sometimes 0 knots, and often only 2 or 3 knots. This means we sometimes only do 60-70 miles as the crow flies in 24 hours.
Old 17-04-2012, 21:15   #1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Connie and I had our son look at that 40 ftr in WA. real nice set up boat! nice shape ! just to far for us to have the time to get her out to Louisiana, and thats to bad ! cus it's the best tri around that we have heard about !! to bad it's not in FL cus we would buy it in a flash !! just sayin, we don't have anything to do with this boat and don't know the owner!
Ahh, now you've done it. I was all settled in on a 34 as being enough boat. But the maintenance requirements for the 40 do look daunting.
Old 17-04-2012, 22:33   #1100

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

If you charter a bigger boat for those 6 person cruises a much smaller boat might be enough.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 05:52   #1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
If you charter a bigger boat for those 6 person cruises a much smaller boat might be enough.
We've looked at that - having a 2nd tagalong, all those sorts of things - but I think the 34 - while cramped at times might do just fine. The stern castle can be a berth, right? The head is a bit small, as would be the tanks...
Old 18-04-2012, 05:56   #1102
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat

I always like what Thomas Firth Jones said about living aboard a multihull, "Get the largest you can afford and handle".
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 05:58   #1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Ross View Post
I always like what Thomas Firth Jones said about living aboard a multihull, "Get the largest you can afford and handle".
You guys are killing me!

I think there's a corollary: "Get the one that makes the wife and kids happy, cause Dad will be happy just being on the water."
Old 18-04-2012, 09:44   #1104

Here's the real issue with "2 foot-itis" if I look at what I can "afford" there's this terribly sweet tri, Tevake, for sale. Not a sea runner, but take a look. The question is, would I use a boat this capable?

CRUISING TRIMARAN - TEVAKE FOR SALE - VIRTUAL TOUR

So far we've got Searunner 34 - good compact cruiser. Meets the majority of needs, but not the big outliers of taking the family on weekly + cruises - which is what the family most looks forward to. Boat I'm looking at would need an auxiliary, maybe one of the gas Saildrive 330s, or a small Beta diesel. Somewhere between $7500 - $11k

Seawind 40 - very capable blue water boat. But, is it easy enough to get out for 2 hour daysails? What are the maintenance requirements?

Tevake, Simpson 44/46 (not sure) very sweet capable world cruiser. High end of budget. Take the Seawind 40 concerns and multiply.
Old 18-04-2012, 13:44   #1105

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaPops View Post
Here's the real issue with "2 foot-itis" if I look at what I can "afford" there's this terribly sweet tri, Tevake, for sale. Not a sea runner, but take a look. The question is, would I use a boat this capable?

CRUISING TRIMARAN - TEVAKE FOR SALE - VIRTUAL TOUR

So far we've got Searunner 34 - good compact cruiser. Meets the majority of needs, but not the big outliers of taking the family on weekly + cruises - which is what the family most looks forward to. Boat I'm looking at would need an auxiliary, maybe one of the gas Saildrive 330s, or a small Beta diesel. Somewhere between $7500 - $11k

Seawind 40 - very capable blue water boat. But, is it easy enough to get out for 2 hour daysails? What are the maintenance requirements?

Tevake, Simpson 44/46 (not sure) very sweet capable world cruiser. High end of budget. Take the Seawind 40 concerns and multiply.
Anyone throw this one into the mix yet,
140 super tri Adastra
Adastra super yacht is a one-of-a-kind aquatic marvel | Technology News Blog - Yahoo! News

Johnny
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 15:37   #1106

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

My take is that you want the "smallest" boat that truly serves your needs. It gives more time & money for the really fun stuff, albeit, at the expense of that extra level of creature comfort.

The 34 may just be large enough for you. Ours has two doubles and a single "sea bunk", on the settee floor in back, but there are a number of ways to lay out the interior. If you have a bimini top, or better yet a cockpit enclosure, the cockpit seats make bunks for kids, (in a protected anchorage).

We have all of the comforts, like refrigeration, SSB, watermaker, etc, and all are HIGHLY reliable, and run 100% on solar panels. The way I did all of these things, was minimal, simple, & light weight... never making myself reliant on them, so, without the risks of the high tech route that so many fall into.

If you want to know "how to avoid the technology pitfalls", subscribe to Jim's "Conversations With Jim Brown", available through outrigmedia.com. Jim & I have a two hour conversation there, where I go into it in depth.

Speaking of boat sizes... There is also the 37'er, which has a dedicated double bunk in back. (Although I never liked the 37 as much as the others). If you look at 37s, try to get the "newer version", with increased wing clearance. (John Marples can tell you the difference).

Hope this helps,
M.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	065.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	40106   Click image for larger version

Name:	135.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	40107  

Name:	140_140.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	40108   Click image for larger version

Name:	107_107_00.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	40109  

Name:	188.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	40110   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8290437 (3) - Copy.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	40111  

Old 18-04-2012, 15:40   #1107

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri

For HapaPops

I tried to post this in a PM and they told me it was too long.

What you are referring to (going north, Mexico to USA) has had much written about it. The Baja bash is not a fun thing. I have not done it myself.
I did buy a 37' Searunner with 10 HP outboard, and took it to Astoria Oregon. It was very difficult. I was much younger then. I think the Baja would be easier in comparison, as the seas are not Oregon size, and the lack of river bar entrances. However I would not want to do either.
I know a very capable girl 50'sh who does it once a year to meet the Lattitude 38 gang in San Diego. She singlehands a big Gulfstar 50. Never complains. There are rumors that some of the backwater lagoons are getting laid out by longtime bashers. They are doing part of the trip on the inside in uncharted waters, how cool is that? Everyone is secret about it, but I think they are making a lot of miles in protected waters. A Searunner would be ideal, maybe use fwd. sonar!
Google the clipper route from Mexico to San Fransisco, if you can't find I may be able to. It is what the old sailing cargo ships did. They sail due west away from the high coastal winds, and as the wind back around more NE the keep steering up. It is a lot closer than sailing to Hawaii then sailing home as a couple I know just did in a 32 Gemini. That is a looooong trip
Wish I had the the silver bullet for you.
In San Carlos, they ship a lot of mono's on semi trailers out of here to get north. I would make the bash in a well found mono with a big diesel (maybe, if I really needed to) This is also why it is such a great place to come buy a boat, they get stuck here. This is one of those "water soluble marriage" ports....:-)
A boat like the 34', with a 10 hp kicker, it will sail as good as any to weather, I would probably choose to go the clipper route. Would be some fine sailing after you get out a few hundred miles I am sure, get a way from the influence of the land.

As an aside, I finally was able to get the boat into the work yard and do some clean up. Man the dust here gets into everything, at least it is dry! She cleaned up good, the Awl-grip sure is nice to have for that. I am getting the dodger windows replaced, refit the engine fuel hose and attachment, replaced the trailer hitch, Lots of little things. Feels good to be on board working again.

I also listed it with a friend of mine Don. So I am officially for sale now.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979...-Mexico/Mexico
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 15:48   #1108

Hi Mark - a fine voice of reason. I too look to the smaller boat as I just think I would use it more "spur of the moment". Zipping out for a sail on a Sat afternoon would be easier with a boat that's more manageable. Lower cost also makes it easier to keep her in new sails, nice bottom, maintenance, etc.

JMolan - glad to hear from you - I've been looking and looking over your boat. the delivery north is a conundrum. the Clipper route has been in the back of my mind as well. Of course - there's also the great idea to take advantage of location in the interim as well. And there are folks who make their living as delivery captains as well.
Old 18-04-2012, 15:50   #1109
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Back when I was really hot to buy a Searunner a few years ago the SR 40 in Seattle was just up for sale. I turned up a Latitude 38 article noting they canceled their puddle jump due to a leak around the centerboard they could not find. I'm sure it's a nice boat and been repaired, but mind that achilles heel!
Old 18-04-2012, 16:23   #1110

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by HapaPops View Post
Ahh, now you've done it. I was all settled in on a 34 as being enough boat. But the maintenance requirements for the 40 do look daunting.

When I stripped the fiberglass off the decks, cockpit, and re-glassed, fared, and painted the decks and cockpit, I was curious why it seems like such a monster job

My 34' Searunner, At 34 x 22' is a nice tidy package of a boat right? It has 748 sq. feet of area to cover and maintain.

A 62' x 12' mono hull has a little less are than this. These are big spaces boats. 6 waterlines to tape off, 6 boot stripes to tape and paint, 3 bottoms to paint, A 62' monohull deck to paint, ......stuff they don't tell you at the brokers....:-)

I drive two idential boats in Alaska. Same designer, builder etc. One is 108' long and is identicle to the world famous Northwestern of Sig fame. The other is 123' long. This is the bigger oneClick image for larger version

Name:	27.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	40116

The designer told me last year as I was telling him the 108' just felt so small in big seas, or coming into a dock. He said, "the 123' has over 35% more volume than the 108'. This is the smaller oneClick image for larger version

Name:	Jack.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	40117

I bet John Marples knows the difference. I wonder what the volume difference is between the 40', the 37' the 34' and the 31'. Anyone ever see any figures? As a boat doubles the volume (and everything else) cubes. The same rule applies to wind and waves. A 30 kt. wind in 4 times more force than a 15 kt. wind. And a 10' wave is 4 times a destructive as a 5' wave'......:-)
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran