Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 16-07-2008, 20:31   #76

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
I am just now heading out, here are a few shots of our fishing boat, my sail boat in Mexico and the launch. we all have our own trailers. They charge $13 to launch. I keep the boat right in front of my house, makes for great get aways. Will send more later...:-)
Now, that not even fair! (Actually, its fantastic!)

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 09:07   #77

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Phantom, Getting the boat on the lowboy is simple, you won't even need a cradle, though it will probably help you sleep better the night before the launch. The challenge is the boat ramp. Have you inquired about rental of a crane service. It would be somewhat expensive, but given the investment and the potential risk of trying to slide your new boat into the water off a trailer that won't be submerged (I assume) is pretty hairy. If you hold off on the engine installation and gear, you can keep the weight down for the launch, then install everything else later, using your mast and main halyard as a "skyhook". I have installed a number of engines this way.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 21:59   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Manawa
It looks like Patches is a non-minikeel boat. This was an option for the Searunner series. It should have a kick-up rudder as that will be the deepest part of the boat. I can't make out the name of the one in San Carlos that is for sale, is it the one with the dark green dodger and cockpit enclosure? This one also looks to be a non-minikeel boat. All things being equal I would give a slight edge to the minikeel for cruising for the extra protection from the "hard bits". I would not reject a non-minikeel boat for only that reason, just check out the rudder mechanism and make sure it is well built. It should be a bit quicker around the buoys and will side slip well when slammed from abeam so it's not a bad thing. Just be a wee bit more careful around the "hard bits".

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 08:06   #79

Dark green dodger and enclosure? Could it be this one that I went aboard a couple years ago in San Diego?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01458-reduced.jpg
Views:	870
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	4376   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01435-reduced.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	4377  

Old 18-07-2008, 08:38   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeah that's the one. Listed at San Carlos Yachts for 59k. Looks to be in good shape and well equipped from what I could see from the pictures. Not a bad price for a great cruising boat. I am curious about the rudder though. From the pictures I have seen it looks to be without the minikeel but it does not have the kick up rudder. I though those two usually went hand in hand.

Patrick, age 9
Old 18-07-2008, 09:34   #81

Here are a couple more pics of the interior. As with any boat, take your time and survey vigorously.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01437-reduced.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	4378   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01440-reduced.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	4379  

Name:	DSC01442-reduced.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	4380  
Old 18-07-2008, 16:36   #82

Boat: Cross 38 trimaram

Hi, the green canvassed boat is at San Carlos, [name i can't read], and the other patches is on the hard at guaymas. Patches is obviously cheaper but has been sitting for awhile and has a bit of work to do. I've emailed Cecil Lange to see if he still does surveys and if he would be available/interested but as yet have not heard back. The Aussie dollar is almost on a par with the US now so we're looking at having an extended stay/cruise on the west coast/mexico. Any info on rattle and hum a searunner 37 in vancouver would also be appreciated, previous owner was Bob Wilson.
cheers,
Mick
manawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2008, 18:36   #83
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I remember following the building process through his website back in the mid 90's. He used some type of lightweight honeycomb panel for many of the flat surfaces to save weight. From the picture, Rattle and Hum seems to float a little higher than the typical Searunner. You could carry more beer. From what I remember it was well built with a high level of finish. Love the name.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boat03.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	4384  

Patrick, age 9
Old 20-07-2008, 11:52   #84

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
MANAWA, I sent you a quick PM. I know the boat and met the owner. Searunner owners list has some histor on it also. I just got internet service after almost a month at sea. I will also try to post more pics soon of the trailer. Love the way the forum is forming up for us center cockpit nutz!
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2008, 12:03   #85

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Manawa email me strongline@gmail.com would be better......Jack
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 12:30   #86

there has been a 37' searunner for sale near me for years -guy is still asking the same price and wasn't very flexible when I talked with him ~a year ago... in blaine, WA. seems like for what he has spend paying to tie it to the dock he would be willing to drop priceby now

Searunner 37' tri, 1983. Alaska veteran in decent shape needs paint. Must sell! Asking $32,000. karlyenkster@earthlink.net or (360) 647-7005. WA
(I may have also seen it advertised for $25,000 elsewhere)
he says- "needs paint", after a good look myself, I would say (and a "fairly straightforward" refit)

Kai Nui-

thanks for the pics (and the offer for the trailer!)- I wish I were closer, but the drive from CA to WA would probably kill the deal with gas prices...

-is all the weight of the boat supported on the wings?/ I couldn't quite tell from the pics what type of setup you have under the keel... an explanation would be very greatly appreciated...

looking into mobile home frames, travel trailer frames, all my other options, etc.
(although 2 axles is enough for ~8500 lbs, what concerns would I have about such a long load on 2 vs 3 axles?) My 37er is stripped, engine out, etc, so probably weighs less than this .

this is from a ramp launch (trailer completely submerged), possibly let the tide go out... to a empty field 1/2 mile away. mast will be stepped

one (local boat mover) guy will says his custom trailer will be able to handle it, but for him to do the move legally (permits, pilot cars, insurance) may get expensive... waiting for a price from him/ or hoping I can somehow track down a midnight boat mover in the port townsend, wa area who is willing to just pull the boat on my own makeshift trailer (it's only 1/2 a mile).

unfortunately, in my case it just doesn't make sense to pay for 1+ years in a boat yard for my project boat---

Any more tips about trailers, & how you found someone willing to pull them would be very greatly appreciated!
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 13:47   #87
Kai Nui

purvisgs, Yes, it is sitting only on the wings. It has been there for over 11 years. I have seen no issues with this. There is nothing under the keel.
It would be an expensive proposition to get the trailer up there, which is sad, because I will have to do something with it when I launch, and I hate to cut it up for scrap.
Next weekend, I will take some detail photos of the trailer and post them for you. This should at least help you build one if you need to.
Old 21-07-2008, 22:42   #88
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

purvisgs
You can support the boat under the wings as Kai says. Just make sure the load is carried at the mainstrength bulkhead locations. I have also supported the boat on the mainhull at these same bulkhead locations when I needed access to the centerboard slot.

Patrick, age 9
Old 26-07-2008, 15:21   #89

Boat: Cross 38 trimaram
tri search

Thanks purvisgs, the tri in WA has been "donated" according to the owner. I'm not sure what that means.

Steve, Roy et al, I'm still collecting info, your input has been much appreciated. I've gone a little cool on patches but have a friend looking at the one in Vancouver for me hopefully this weekend.
Bob Wilson the builder and former owner has forwarded his construction blog to me, it's a great read. Anyone know a good surveyor in vancouver area?

Cheers,

Mick
manawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 15:47   #90

Manawa, I will be in the Vancouver area at the end of September. If you wish, I can check it out for you. Please send a private message to discuss particulars.

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran