Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 18:50   #436

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Thanks, Mark, for so many things.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 19:15   #437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolan View Post
Laidback welcome!

I am wondering if that is the boat that was built in the Phillipines.

I have been to this shop and they do very nice work.

Boatshop Philippines, Inc. | Portfolio
Confirmed , the Norman Cross designed "Quirida" was built by Mike Allan
at the Boat Shop on the East coast of Cebu at Compostela . The yard now moved north near Port Carmen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Port Carmen.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	9734  
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 22:11   #438

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
I just returned front he Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. It was a classic weekend as we had perfect weather. The whole thing is an overload of "eye candy"....lots of old boats kept in great condition.

My highlight of the trip came when I was admiring Russel Brown's (son of Jim Brown) PT Skiff. If you want ot see a really fine example of craftsmanship and design genius check it out. ptwatercraft.com

I look over and see this cool looking older fella sitting there smiling. I ask "are you Jim Brown?" well...ya he jumps up and shakes my hand. Oh Man was I stoked. We talked for a long time, about a lot of things. I told him right off I trusted my family to his design when I bought the 37' back in 1981. And I told him after 29 years working in the Bearing Sea his design is still my choice for so many reasons, now that I have a 34'. It was a real highlight for me to be able to tell him these things. Then up walks Mead Gougon of West system fame. Turns out him and Jim are on a "walk about" in a little motor home. Cruising the country together for a bit......very cool guys.
There were quite a few big schooners sailing on the bay. Jim can't see hardly at all. He cocked his head as I described what I was seeing. I know very little about schooners, and Jim started out on them in the Caribbean way back when. He described what I was seeing and telling me the names of the sails and why and what for they were there. He got so stoked about them being out there.
Quite a "talk story" in a short time.
It was a great time. I will always remember finally meeting and connecting with Jim Brown.

I will post photos when I am able, looks like I cannot right now.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 22:21   #439

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Rann
Jack, I wish I could have been there! Nothing would give me more pleasure than to meet Jim Brown. What a day you must have had. I can't wait to here more details.

I read about Jim's schooner sailing before his multihull days. His "Case for the Cruising Trimaran" we are all familiar with, is a sort of bible for me.

We all will look forward to your pix when you get them uploaded.
Rann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 10:24   #440

Jim Brown and Mead Gougeon. Russell Browns PT watercraft. Big Schooners plying the outside waters.....All good stuff.....:-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	9931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0404.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	9932  

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	9933   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	9934  

Old 15-09-2009, 04:46   #441

Thanks Jack,
It is great to see that Jim Brown is well & still "out n about". He's a great guy. Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 19:54   #442

Boat: 37 ft Searunner AROHA 3
Thanks for that jmolan
That was so interesting for me way down in new zealand.
i would like to meet jim brown also
i reckon he was a bit of genious designing the searunner.
the concept is just so clever.
so is the windrider too.
very emotionally interesting........
islandkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 21:13   #443

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandkid View Post
Thanks for that jmolan
That was so interesting for me way down in new zealand.
i would like to meet jim brown also
i reckon he was a bit of genious designing the searunner.
the concept is just so clever.
so is the windrider too.
very emotionally interesting........
I have thought abut it quite a bit since last weekend. My wife swears as we talked that Jim was very touched....like he was just loving the idea of someone who has found joy in his work, or that by appreciating his design work so much, that is so much of "him" in there. Searunner is one unique boat.....so different from most anything else out there.
Jim never designed to a marketing plan, or from a poll of desires from the general crowd. He put it all out there on the line with "this is the best I got" and believed his boat was the best combination for a successful build and cruise.
Anyhow, as it has been such a large part of my life, and the fun part, and it has been so sastifying really.......rich stuff
Old 19-09-2009, 12:46   #444

Boat: Searunner 37
A Visit with Jim Brown

My husband and I have also been fortunate to have met Jim Brown and enjoyed an evening with him on our boat. It was in the mid 90s when we did a five year East Coast & Bahamas cruise with our teenage daughters. We were at the Los Olas anchorage in Ft. Lauderdale when Jim pulled in on Scrimshaw. He rowed over to our boat after settling in and wanted to chat. We sat in awe with him in our cockpit but somehow couldn't stop talking, gushing about the boat. He asked to look around & somehow managed to fold his frame into the amas, looking at the stringers & fillets etc. We explained we had bought the boat from the builder when she was 10 years old & we thought we had one of the best contructed ever. The boat was built as close to Jim's specs as we can imagine.

Jim talked with our daughters about their cruising lives and indeed I know I saw tears in his eyes when he told us that this is what he had designed the boat for. So a family could safely go to sea. He talked of the Searunners he knew of sitting in fields or yards, the dream put on hold or unattainable and he was so happy to see us out there. He was gracious enough to sign our "Case for the Cruising Trimaran" and we treasure it still today.

We still have Ishmael after 22 years and next fall will retire to our home again for the last time. Our daughter and her husband have a Searunner 31, perfect for their young family.

Fair winds, Pat & Karl
PatnKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2009, 11:20   #445

Very cool, I have a feeling anyone who has run into Jim comes away feeling good. What a great legacy to have.

I have worked on and updated my photobucket. It is in the URL below. Hope it brings you a smile.....:-)
Old 09-11-2009, 11:46   #446

34' Searunner article

Maren, I jst picked up a Gougeon Epoxyworks publication. It is Number 29 Fall 2009.

It has your boat featured in it with the cylinder things on it. John Marples wrote the article. Maybe you can look one up where the epoxy is sold.

I am stuck on the cold rainy Oregon Coast untill this spring, so no sailing or working on the tri for me....
Old 09-11-2009, 13:18   #447

I have a couple of pictures of that 34 that I believe is Maren's. I found them online and saved them. I'll bet Maren has a bunch of them. I never did see the Public Broadcasting video of the the boat. Is a video of that broadcast online anywhere? I'll have to pick up a copy of the West Epoxy article.

Jack, I am stuck here in the wet of rainy season of Oregon too, but hope to get out of here and head to the Los Angeles area and ETAK in early to mid December. Then the work begins again!

Rann
Old 09-11-2009, 13:22   #448

Amazon.com: Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator: Electronics

Just found a GPS dirt cheap.
Old 09-11-2009, 13:29   #449

let's see...I could at the bicycle mount for another $15 and be all set for land and water navigation!
Old 09-11-2009, 13:41   #450

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rann View Post
I have a couple of pictures of that 34 that I believe is Maren's. I found them online and saved them. I'll bet Maren has a bunch of them. I never did see the Public Broadcasting video of the the boat. Is a video of that broadcast online anywhere?

Jack- Oh yeah, that's her. Though the flettner motor, ghastly windscreens and, saddly, batteries were all gone by the time I got her.

Rann - Actually, I have very few photos of before I got her. A couple from a blog and one from another article. And this one just posted. I've tried to find the DVD but with no luck. I wouln't mind other photos if you're willing to send them on or post them.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran