Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 18-08-2017, 07:38   #3871

Boat: Searunner 40
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

I guess the main thing that bothers me about the small diameter chain is if one link gets nicked or chafed halfway through, you effectively have 1/8" chain in terms of breaking strength.
sea dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 08:19   #3872

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

In the PNW a Danforth works great everywhere but in eel grass. I use a boat length of chain with a SFL that matches the nylon rode. 5/16s chain in my case to work with an anchor rated for the size of my boat. The nylon rode takes care of the shock loads which can cause breakout as well as damage and keeps things light. With all chain you need snubbers. If either the chain or rode have a smaller working load than the anchor holding power they need to be uprated. If they have a SFL too much larger than the anchor holding power you are spending extra in money and weight. A certain percentage over isn't a bad idea for wear insurance and holding power in ground tackle but weight on a tri is like money, you don't want to spend it where you don't need it.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 10:15   #3873

Boat: Searunner 40

I just went back and re-read the anchor road section.
I read it wrong.
The 1/4" was for the smallest Bahama moor/dinghy anchor only.
The rest was 5/16"
Kelpy rocky areas are a challenge to anchor securely in.
sea dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 12:36   #3874

Yes, a Danforth isn't great in kelp but then anchoring in kelp doesn't do wonders for the kelp either. With the shallow draft and dry out possibilities there are lots of better spots to drop the hook in for a tri up here.
Old 18-08-2017, 12:54   #3875

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
Yes, a Danforth isn't great in kelp but then anchoring in kelp doesn't do wonders for the kelp either. With the shallow draft and dry out possibilities there are lots of better spots to drop the hook in for a tri up here.
You folks are fortunate to have the kelp. I'm not a tree hugger but hope people maintain it rather than destroy it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2017, 12:24   #3876

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer24 View Post
The Sail to the Sun Rally is all about going down the ICW. Here is an article about last year's event:

Sail to the Sun Rally Gets Underway | Cruising World

Here is a video made by the Rally Organizer about doing the trip down the ICW.

https://bloggingtheicw.blogspot.com/...uth-video.html

If you are on Facebook, you can join the "Sail to the Sun" group. I know of at least one person there who is looking to crew on a boat for this trip, having recently sold his own. If you are not on FB, message me with your contact info and I'll pass it along.
I just got this as I've been out on the water a lot and have no access. Sounds great I will check it out and yes I am on Facebook. My intention is to leave sometime middle of September
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 09:23   #3877

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Reading some of the recent posts about wet/dry/rot lockers and the efforts to ventilate the boat to minimize condensation, really struck a chord within me because i just finished reading John Marples book: Knowing Your Multihull, in which he discusses the need for ventilation to prevent condensation.

WELL, the following has been rumbling around in my mind for some time.

https://www.amazon.com/DRY-Replaceme...dicating&psc=1

Reusable Indicating Dessicant is available in bulk from Amazon. Much cheaper in the states than Canada. Can be dried out in oven or frying pan. Color changes to indicate when it is full of moisture. It is cheap enuf that several gallons can be purchased and placed in cloth bags around the boat to keep the boat dry.

(There are commercial marine products available at much greater cost to achieve the same effect. Same indicating silica gel but in stainless perforated containers.)

If this is done, would it not make sense to keep the boat closed when not in use to prevent moisture from entering the boat, and allowing the desiccant to really dry out the boat? Condensation will not occur in a dry boat.

jon
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 15:08   #3878

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

There will still be ambient moisture in the air inside the cabins, so condensation will definitely occur when the temperature drops.
But, I think it might not be a bad idea to use dessicant, although a dedicated dehumidifier would work better.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 20:46   #3879

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Rot in the wet lockers? Only if you don't repair cracks or dings. Mine were built almost forty years ago. I still pull stuff out and look around to check it out. Ignore your boat at your peril. I still have to repaint and seal stuff. Preventive maintenance is best, Deferred maintenance is a pain in the wallet. I'm in the process of repainting the cabinsides, cockpit and cabintop. I have to do it every ten years or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00007.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	154573   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00008.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	154574  

Name:	DSC00005.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	154575   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-3-12 022.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	154576  

Name:	2007-3-12 023.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	154577  
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 20:50   #3880

That isn't fair Roy. SD is warm, dry and sunny. In the PNW you can grow moss waiting for the bus.
Old 21-08-2017, 21:14   #3881

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
Reusable Indicating Dessicant is available in bulk from Amazon. Much cheaper in the states than Canada. Can be dried out in oven or frying pan. Color changes to indicate when it is full of moisture. It is cheap enuf that several gallons can be purchased and placed in cloth bags around the boat to keep the boat dry.

(There are commercial marine products available at much greater cost to achieve the same effect. Same indicating silica gel but in stainless perforated containers.)

jon
Buy a pair of women's nylons and fill a leg with dessicant. Cut the leg off and tie it up somewhere. Very cheap "container".

Another use of the dessicant that has recently become popular is as a filter in a fuel tank vent line. As fuel is drawn from the tank, outside air is drawn through the vent line and into the tank. The moisture from this air creates condesation in the tank. By putting a filter filled with dessicant in this vent line, the moisture does not reach the tank.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 03:54   #3882

Boat: Cross 24 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer24 View Post
Another use of the dessicant that has recently become popular is as a filter in a fuel tank vent line. As fuel is drawn from the tank, outside air is drawn through the vent line and into the tank. The moisture from this air creates condesation in the tank. By putting a filter filled with dessicant in this vent line, the moisture does not reach the tank.
like this? (see attachment)

i was going to mention my diesel vent line desiccator, but decided to address only one topic at a time. Its just a 1 1/2" vinyl (?) tube from Home Depot, some modified plumbing fittings and some hose clamps. A SS screen from the local head shop keeps the beads from rolling out into the diesel tank. Total cost - under $10.

Amazon also has small cotton bags for a few bucks a dozen that can be filled with dessicant and dispersed around the boat, especially around the electronics.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QBKTOG4...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Don't get me wrong, ventilation is a great way to equalize temperatures and minimize condensation, it just seems to me that drying out the interior is a much better idea, and with the silica gel beads so cheap, and reusable indefinitely, why not DRY out the interior while away from the boat? Ventilation, in this case, would only let more moisture INTO the boat. Not a good thing. imho
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Diesel Water Vapor Filter.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	154587  
Astronomy says we will find a coded signal from outer space. Then we'll KNOW that life exists there, for coded signals aren't by chance. Biology says there are coded genetic signals in every cell, but we KNOW that no intelligence created life. VE0XYZ
longjonsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 05:52   #3883

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

And an even better price: https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Premiu.../dp/B013L2Z2MY

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 10:56   #3884

Boat: Boatless

Not real happy with this sites search engine. Hard to find specific stuff. I'm loooking to build a swim platform between the hulls on my A-Frame. One that I can raise and lower as needed. I thought there was some disucsison about this but could not find anything.

Maybe someone has some insight and/or knowledge of the appropriate thread?

Thanks.
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 11:09   #3885

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Sorry, Cav, that wasn't kind of me.

Jimske, I plan on adding a folding swim ladder/dive platform on my portside aft wingdeck. I'll try and put together the design sketch. But it will have to wait a bit as I'm pretty busy right now. The arrangement will raise up, then rotate ninety degrees, forming a wall-like structure on the aft deck. I've been playing with this for a number of years, to make a structure that eases entry and exit from the water with heavy dive gear, and assists folks boarding from a dinghy. It will be lightweight and durable in construction, and quick to deploy, say for a man overboard situation.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran