Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 07:59   #3706

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

It sounds like it was built with the method I described, keeping the timber keel and adding the "staves" of the basket to give a frame for the ply skin. This is a easy way of adding a NACA section to a straight keel. Remember these boats don't have ballast weighting them down which is the big weight on a monohull.

As to pointing with a long low keel keeping your speed up helps. A stalled long keel throws a lot of eddies into the water. Sails should be flat to minimize side force and allow a close angle to the wind. Plus the bottom should be clean, even a small amount of growth on a multihull is like wings icing up on a airplane. Hard to fly.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 15:19   #3707

Boat: 2008 40' Searunner Trimaran

Very interesting lines.
Old 04-06-2017, 20:37   #3708

Boat: 1974 Cal 29

I have seen a Searunner 31 in California that was converted from the A-frame design to the vented wing design- and widened from 18' to 22' in the process. Can anyone tell me how this would be done? I much prefer the solid or vented wings, but all I am finding on the market are the A-frames. I would be more willing to buy one if I knew it could be converted.
Seafarer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 22:29   #3709

Brand new Marples 35 with $40k of brand new parts,amas built, centerboard built,stunning rudder, interior finished except galley, beams cut out but not built, $18500 includes $3000 tandem trailer. exquisite construction. 775 827 2786 pst
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 16:39   #3710

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihuler View Post
Brand new Marples 35 with $40k of brand new parts,amas built, centerboard built,stunning rudder, interior finished except galley, beams cut out but not built, $18500 includes $3000 tandem trailer. exquisite construction. 775 827 2786 pst
Is this the one that is supposed to be the only swing-wing CC35?
Old 05-06-2017, 21:29   #3711

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer24 View Post
I have seen a Searunner 31 in California that was converted from the A-frame design to the vented wing design- and widened from 18' to 22' in the process. Can anyone tell me how this would be done? I much prefer the solid or vented wings, but all I am finding on the market are the A-frames. I would be more willing to buy one if I knew it could be converted.
These could be converted in several ways. If you have to ask I'd suggest contacting John Marples directly.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 05:57   #3712

Boat: Searunner, 37'

I am thinking of selling my Searunner 37 so I was wondering what the average selling price is for Searunner 37s.

My boat has had an extensive refit and now has dual steering stations, a new centerboard, and no rot.

Any thoughts on what I should ask for a price?

John B.
Old 14-06-2017, 07:01   #3713

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

One aspect of this decision is the current location of the boat. People will be more inclined to consider to purchase if they can actually touch, walk through and even test sail the boat. So, perhaps moving the boat to an area that allows greater exposure, and possibly, nicer weather.

Another, is to set up a website with EXCELLENT photos, and plenty of them, organized as though the viewer was actually aboard and looking around, up and​ down, possibly even a short video. Lastly, perhaps a drone video of the boat under sail in nice conditions, on several points of sail.

Searunners are unique craft, and as such, are unfamiliar to most sailors. To really appreciate the cruising qualities (split cabin privacy, the joys of a center cockpit, the sterncastle, etc.), people need to feel the space, the motion and absorb the singular sense of being on the boat. Anything that helps communicate that experience will go a long way to selling the concept.

And as for price, that will evolve in time, based on how empty the boat is of belongings, how clean and bright it is, and, again location makes an impact, how many folks can easily get to it and actually experience this craft. More people, more competitive the potential market. There aren't a lot of these boats, especially ones in condition for top pricing.

Consider Southern California, Florida, perhaps the Chesapeake, as locations with easy access and potential buyers with adequate resources.

Sent from my XT1565 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 16:16   #3714

Boat: Searunner, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Consider Southern California, Florida, perhaps the Chesapeake, as locations with easy access and potential buyers with adequate resources.

Sent from my XT1565 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
My boat is in the Hinckley yard in Portsmouth, RI, just north of Newport, RI. I'm sure the yard will not mind people climbing over the boat. It will not be in the water though. I can give any potential buyer my service manager's name and he will show them the boat.

I will be in RI until July 15 so if there is any interest before that I can give the tour.

Thank you for the advice, it is all good.

ps: The Hinckley yard is a fun yard to wander around. There is a fleet of 12 meters, various multi-hulls, some amazing racing boats, some amazing cruising boats, and of course a fleet of Hinckley picnic boats.
Old 15-06-2017, 19:01   #3715

Please tell us more about the boat and what you've done to it. This will help us to compare it to other Searunners we have seen for sale.

This website is a great example of how you should advertise your boat. This 31' is in excellent condition, in an amazing location, has an inboard diesel, and still took a long time before it eventually sold for around $15,000. Click the picture to go to the site.
Old 15-06-2017, 19:45   #3716
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer24 View Post
Please tell us more about the boat and what you've done to it. This will help us to compare it to other Searunners we have seen for sale.

This website is a great example of how you should advertise your boat. This 31' is in excellent condition, in an amazing location, has an inboard diesel, and still took a long time before it eventually sold for around $15,000. Click the picture to go to the site.

It's a shame to see it sell for such a low price as the boat seemed to be in good shape when I saw her and the owner was a really nice guy.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 20:30   #3717

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
It's a shame to see it sell for such a low price as the boat seemed to be in good shape when I saw her and the owner was a really nice guy.
It might have sold faster, or for more, if he had brought it up to Tampa / St. Petersburg.

It is rare to find one of these that was so well-built initially, and then maintained properly, that rot issues have never developed.
Old 16-06-2017, 11:24   #3718

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

I had a good time sailing Nibiru my Searunner 25' to Victoria BC last weekend! Had a pleasant visit with Jim Brown and Jo Hudson. Jim is impressed with the evolution of the Searunners and had lots of good advice for maintaining it as a workboat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	150004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0349 (1).JPG
Views:	139
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	150005  

Name:	Jim and Jo.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	354.9 KB
ID:	150006   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0353.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	150007  

Name:	IMG_0364 (1).JPG
Views:	140
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	150008   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0347.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	150010  

slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 14:10   #3719

Boat: Searunner 37 Aroha

Nice Slowbat thanks for the forum catchup
Great to see Jim Brown doing what he knows so well.
I have tried to understand that wind dial and cannot.
Is that an app. Giving your relative direction somehow to the wind.?
Certainly special to have a signature and the designer on board a Searunner.
rossad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 07:51   #3720

Boat: Searunner Trimaran 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossad View Post
I have tried to understand that wind dial and cannot.
Is that an app.
That is a Garmin GNX it was set to MPH so 40.1 = 36 kts. of wind to beam. The boat was flying with 2 reefs and the storm jib. Searunners really take a pounding
slowbat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran