Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 19-09-2016, 15:54   #3466

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran
Re: Trimaran - Especially Searunner - Owners

Here is my perspective, FWIW. My wife and I owned a rather funky old 31 that had been down the west coast, through the Panama canal, across to St. Lucia, and then sailed to Florida after the PO died, demounted and trailered to northwest Washington where we bought her. First of all, the layout. The centerboard and center cockpit combination is great. It's rather restrictive for moving around, but is as neat and seamanlike arrangement. The mast in the cockpit makes sail handling easy, but lacks a lot of room for the halyards and other sailing gear. The 31 has great single bunks forward, a very nice dressing compartment with lots of usable storage around the sink. If you don't try and make it a full time floating home, it is a good all around sailboat. Certainly not the fastest, but stable and easy to sail. The tiller in the cockpit means you can steer with your foot while scanning the horizon.
Now for the disadvantages. The aft dinette is great- very cozy and convenient, but since it has to double as the master berth, it does double duty. This makes your bunk the central gathering area. Not a problem with a small crew, but privacy is an issue. We have sailed with other couples, and they had the forward bunks, and we had the aft. Drop boards in the cockpit were a royal pain. We had to remove and install a minimum of seven boards to move from the aft bunk to the head and back. A PITA in a pouring rainstorm, even at the best of times. The removable cross arms are a problem as well. Jim Brown acknowledged that they were adequately strong, but just barely. The connectives to the hull are rot prone.
Also, hopping from the float to the net to the deck board to the main hull deck is a problem. The nets can be walked on, but it is hard to do so. Doing the side net hopscotch while sailing is challenging. From what I can see of the interior, it looks Spartan, but functional. These boats need to be kept light, or they will bog down and sail like slugs.
Bottom line- the searunner 31 is a good, but rather dated design with a very functional layout and very seakindly handling characteristics. You certainly can't build one for what they are asking for it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of problem with dry rot, but a boat of this vintage probably has some. Check around the cockpit seats, the forestay tang and around the crossarm connectives.
Now for our perspective. We read a book by Chris White called the Case for the Cruising Multihull, and he sums it up very well. He started out building his own 31- Shadofax and sailed it far and side. When he pulled the crossarm connective out and had to limp back to port, he had a lot of time to design his next boat. What he had was a boat that was smaller than what he wanted, of questionable quality and had no real interest in putting a lot more money in her. What he wanted was a simple, rugged powerful offshore boat that would take him anywhere he wanted to go. His solution was Juniper- a constant camber boat about 60 feet long, with wooden crossarm and two freestanding masts. Our solution was to build our 44 Constant Camber trimaran. We liked the Searunner design so well that we copied it in the 44 and added all of the features of a big, powerful offshore boat. (Sorry, we are still building, but plan to launch in the next year). Our 44 is everything that our 31 was not. But then we have four children, so we need the extra space. BTW, we had both a small Yanmar inboard on the 31, and a small outboard. The outboard was not our favorite choice. It had the feature of being hard to reach and control, and the unnerving habit of roaring and bogging down as it hobbyhorsed up and down. Nervewracking, to say the least. We do not have open wing decks on our 44 and it is going to provide enough room for two 12 foot ridgid dinghies, as well as plenty of space for just laying around. Also, I have a big four cylinder diesel engine in the bilge and I am in the process of installing.
I guess, you need to identify what are your requirements. The 31 can be easily (sort of) dismounted, loaded on a cradle and shipped as deck freight or slid into a shipping container. Our 31 was shipped from Florida to Washington state on a single trailer and pulled by a station wagon. Certainly doable, and in a lot less time than two months. Your actual results may vary. Hope this answers some of your questions, and good luck with your choice.
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 18:13   #3467

Bob, would love to see your SR37 one of these days. I remember when you had the Edel trimaran!

Phantom, you snapped some sense into me. I had bigger hopes and plans for this boat then its capable of delivering.

I'll continue my search for the ideal trimaran (or catamaran) for island hopping in the Caribbean...
MTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2016, 18:49   #3468

Phantom - Great write-up, thanks!

Are epoxy SR 31's prone to rot where the aka's connect, or is that mainly with the polyester boats?

What's your take on sailing the SR 31?

That issue with having to hassle with the drop boards can be solved by using canvas "drop boards."

Do you have anything online where we can check out the boat you're building?

MTang - Keep in mind that the designer, Jim Brown, did extensive cruising with his wife and two kids in his 31'er for several years. They left Santa Cruz and sailed to Mexico, Central America, through the Panama Canal, and up the East Coast. He has also sailed her up to the Newfoundland area and back to Virginia. In fact, he owned and sailed Scrimshaw for over 30 years.)
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:54   #3469

Hey everyone, Mr. Searunner and all around good guy, Jim Brown, has a new podcast called "Nautical Lore". Jim is a great communicator and one heck of a story teller and you can subscribe for free on iTunes or access them here: Nautical Lore Podcasts | OutRig Media

P.S. I have no commercial interest in this podcast or in Outrigmedia. I just wanted to share something cool.
Old 20-09-2016, 16:45   #3470

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran

Thanks for the kind comments. I wish that I had someone with previous Searunner experience to draw on. But even so, my very good friend -Hugh Foulke_ built and sailed a SR37, and was the previous owner of our 31.
As for the dry rot problem, no- it is not just related to polyester. Anywhere fresh water can penetrate the structure, such as around chain plates, float connectives and the like are prone to dry rot. These are wooden boats, and if allowed to get wet, they will rot. A sister ship to mine- Rikki Tikki Tavi- had some worrisome dry rot problems even though Clark Wagaman is an extraordinary craftsman.
As for a building blog, I do have one that I have been maintaining. It is www.phantomboatworks.shutterfly.com Not completely up to date, but has a lot of pictures of my building, and some of the family as well. Hope it provides some inspiration and maybe an idea or two.
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 18:50   #3471

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

I agree on the observations Phantom. I think the 31 a good all rounder for the family that takes vacations of a few weeks and day sails.

I had to cut one up, my observation is to make sure there is ventilation everywhere. The complicated metal work and attachments of the A arm mountings have a lot of things to keep an eye on. The trick with bolt holes in wood, even epoxy wood boats is to make sure the holes are saturated in epoxy so if it ever leaks the wood stays dry. As Jim Brown says, "Preserve the sanctity of the membrane." The skin as it were, just remember any point of potential water ingress needs a skin too.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 19:09   #3472

Boat: Boatless

As an owner of a 31 for going on 13 years now I got agree with what Phantom says about the boat. Keeping water out shouldn't be a problem if the boat is attended to on a regular basis. I have found and re-glassed areas of both stern cross arms after removing for inspection. Interestingly the repair was on the main hull not the amas. That has been the worst of it. Some surface rot around hatches. You got to keep after it.

IMO center cockpit enclosure for at least riding on anchor is a must for moving through to the cabins. Plus it gives the boat a lot more usable space.

Still, this is a small boat. Perfect for two or extended cruising or even three. Lots of modern sailors expect more from a sailing vessel and require lots of gear. The 31 works well for those of us who are minimalists. However, for its size it does have a LOT of room. I was on a Dragonfly 31 with two crew for a short cruise from VA to BVI. The 31 doesn't have that kind of speed but accommodations on the Dragonfly real tight by comparison.

Same is true with the nets. For two or 4 people there is enough room to lounge around the main hull. I use tennis nets as they are free. Fine for throwing anchors or sail bags on and even laying on them with a mat. But again, this is a small boat that's not going to accommodate 6 people for more than a day sail. I don't have a lot of need to hang out between the hulls.

She a pretty good sailor though.

J
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:58   #3473

That 44' Marples is such a beautiful boat! There was one that sold in Panama in the last year with a crazy low asking price of only $75,000. I really have to hand it to you for the tenacity and good ol stick-to-it-ive-ness to take on such a massive project and see it through to completion. Do you have a launch date yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomBoatwork View Post
Thanks for the kind comments. I wish that I had someone with previous Searunner experience to draw on. But even so, my very good friend -Hugh Foulke_ built and sailed a SR37, and was the previous owner of our 31.
As for the dry rot problem, no- it is not just related to polyester. Anywhere fresh water can penetrate the structure, such as around chain plates, float connectives and the like are prone to dry rot. These are wooden boats, and if allowed to get wet, they will rot. A sister ship to mine- Rikki Tikki Tavi- had some worrisome dry rot problems even though Clark Wagaman is an extraordinary craftsman.
As for a building blog, I do have one that I have been maintaining. It is www.phantomboatworks.shutterfly.com Not completely up to date, but has a lot of pictures of my building, and some of the family as well. Hope it provides some inspiration and maybe an idea or two.

Probably the best way to do holes at connecting points is to drill an over-sized hole, fill it with an epoxy mixture and then tap the hole to the size of the bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier MK2 View Post
I agree on the observations Phantom. I think the 31 a good all rounder for the family that takes vacations of a few weeks and day sails.

I had to cut one up, my observation is to make sure there is ventilation everywhere. The complicated metal work and attachments of the A arm mountings have a lot of things to keep an eye on. The trick with bolt holes in wood, even epoxy wood boats is to make sure the holes are saturated in epoxy so if it ever leaks the wood stays dry. As Jim Brown says, "Preserve the sanctity of the membrane." The skin as it were, just remember any point of potential water ingress needs a skin too.

How do you get tennis net for free? Can you buy it in widths that are wider than a tennis net?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
As an owner of a 31 for going on 13 years now I got agree with what Phantom says about the boat. Keeping water out shouldn't be a problem if the boat is attended to on a regular basis. I have found and re-glassed areas of both stern cross arms after removing for inspection. Interestingly the repair was on the main hull not the amas. That has been the worst of it. Some surface rot around hatches. You got to keep after it.

IMO center cockpit enclosure for at least riding on anchor is a must for moving through to the cabins. Plus it gives the boat a lot more usable space.

Still, this is a small boat. Perfect for two or extended cruising or even three. Lots of modern sailors expect more from a sailing vessel and require lots of gear. The 31 works well for those of us who are minimalists. However, for its size it does have a LOT of room. I was on a Dragonfly 31 with two crew for a short cruise from VA to BVI. The 31 doesn't have that kind of speed but accommodations on the Dragonfly real tight by comparison.

Same is true with the nets. For two or 4 people there is enough room to lounge around the main hull. I use tennis nets as they are free. Fine for throwing anchors or sail bags on and even laying on them with a mat. But again, this is a small boat that's not going to accommodate 6 people for more than a day sail. I don't have a lot of need to hang out between the hulls.

She a pretty good sailor though.

J
Old 21-09-2016, 10:39   #3474

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Probably the best way to do holes at connecting points is to drill an over-sized hole, fill it with an epoxy mixture and then tap the hole to the size of the bolt.
Good suggestion. A pretty easy fix, too.
Quote:
How do you get tennis net for free? Can you buy it in widths that are wider than a tennis net?
I got them from a guy who worked with the town. He told me they change them every year. Maybe go to a tennis club and ask.

I suppose you could buy it in widths. The standard width for the 31 works adequately well. I remove the tape and the cable which is a small chore.

I've had them 4 years now. No signs of deterioration yet.

J
Old 21-09-2016, 20:35   #3475

Boat: Searunner 31

I have also had good luck with tennis nets, though I bought mine on Amazon. Good enough and easy to find. A single standard net will do both sides of a Searunner 31 from angle brace to angle brace.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-09-2016, 16:14   #3476

I just came across this:

Jim Brown’s SCRIMSHAW Rescue – Part One

I hadn't realized Jim is getting involved in bringing back Scrimshaw after selling her in Homestead. This is the first part of his story.

J
Old 25-09-2016, 19:33   #3477

Here is part 2 of the discussion with Jim. Looks like Scrimshaw will make it back! Hope you enjoy it.

https://outrigmedia.s3.amazonaws.com...urn-part-2.mp3
Old 25-09-2016, 19:39   #3478
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I believe the CC44 in panama is the one that sold in St Augustine about 5 years ago. I believe it was a bank repo at the time. Looked to have been in nice shape and some refitting was done prior to departure. I believe the original name was Sunner or something like that.
Old 26-09-2016, 09:57   #3479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I believe the CC44 in panama is the one that sold in St Augustine about 5 years ago. I believe it was a bank repo at the time. Looked to have been in nice shape and some refitting was done prior to departure. I believe the original name was Sunner or something like that.
Here it is: Trimaran 2000 Marples Fast Cruise Trimaran 44 Trimaran For Sale Sure seems like someone got one heck of a good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimske View Post
Here is part 2 of the discussion with Jim. Looks like Scrimshaw will make it back! Hope you enjoy it.

https://outrigmedia.s3.amazonaws.com...urn-part-2.mp3
I sure enjoyed Part 1 so I'm looking forward to Part 2. Have you heard Jim Browns new podcast yet? It's called "Nautical Lore" and it's really good.
Old 30-09-2016, 16:11   #3480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I believe Anjin and Sunner are two different boats. Sunner appears to be for sale (listing added 29th of September 2016 as far as I can tell), see link:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/41497

Note the different placement of the anchor windlass (up by the mast on Sunner, much closer to the bow on Anjin). There are other differences as well (radar and wind gen. missing, interior very different to name a few) but I feel like moving the windlass would be the most extreme change to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentawave View Post
Here it is: Trimaran 2000 Marples Fast Cruise Trimaran 44 Trimaran For Sale Sure seems like someone got one heck of a good deal.

It does indeed. I've had my eye on Sunner for a while and it seems she's still for sale. That said I feel like going on $100k before all the equipment I'd need to add is a bit hefty for my economy. She sure looks nice, though!
P.Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran